New Additions to Oct. 4 PEACE COFFEEHOUSE event @ First Mennonite Church! (Eyes Wide Open/Cost of War)

  • Jeff Matheus
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2008
      Hello all!

      I just wanted to let everyone know that there have been some exciting new additions to our upcoming
      "Peace Coffeehouse" fundraising event set for Saturday, October 4th at First Mennonite Church, Indianapolis.

      I am proud to announce that we will now be featuring two powerful visual exhibits to compliment our usual music,
      poetry, and storytelling format! These exhibits will be "EYES WIDE OPEN" and "THE COST OF WAR".

      "Eyes Wide Open" is a memorial to all the Indiana soldiers killed in the Iraq war. The exhibit features 146 pairs
      of empty combat boots representing the Indiana servicemen and servicewomen who have lost their lives as a
      result of the Iraq war. 200 pairs of civilian shoes stand by the combat boots to represent just a portion of the
      estimated 1,000,000 + Iraqi civilian casualties.

      "The Cost of War" is a display of Signs and banners that accompany the "Eyes Wide Open" exhibit, and
      dramatically display the economic costs of war.

      These exhibits were created by the American Friends Service Committee in January 2004 with just 500 boots
      representing the total U.S. casualties. Now, almost six years into the war, the exhibit totals over 4,157 pairs
      of boots and is displayed in 48 states across the country.

      So, here is all the pentinent, updated event info...

      The Indy Artists' Peace Project presents...

      "PEACE COFFEEHOUSE 3"
      A FUNDRAISER TO BENEFIT THE INDY ARTISTS' PEACE PROJECT
      SATURDAY, OCTOBER 4, 6:00-8:00 PM.
      @ FIRST MENNONITE CHURCH, INDIANAPOLIS
      (4601 Knollton Road, Indianapolis)
      An artistsic celebration of Peace & Justice,
      Featuring music, poetry, drama, food & fellowship!
      Very Special Guests will be;
      THE GRIOT DRUMMERS (African music & Storytelling),
      THE A.C.T. OUT ENSEMBLE (Interactive Drama),
      Other Featured Artists will be
      THOMAS FLOYD (Singer/Songwriter, Folk/Rock),
      JEFF MATHEUS (Poet/Writer),
      SAM CARPENTER (Acoustic Folk Music)
      Special Visual Exhibits will be;
      EYES WIDE OPEN & THE COST OF WAR
      Free Admission for All.
      Donations Accepted to Benefit the IAPP.
      Free Coffee, Tea, and Snacks.
      Nursery Care Provided.

      That's all for now. For more info on either event, please contact me,

      JEFF MATHEUS
      co-founder,
      Indy Artists' Peace Project
      e-mail: jeffmatheus@...