Bush at Monticello, 4th of July

  • Lori Perdue
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 7:58 AM
      Hello All!
      Wanted to let you know about something happening in VA on the 4th in which I will participate and let you know that you can play a role from home!
      Take a look at the email below from David Swanson of www.afterdowningstreet.org. Let David know if you are interested in attending as well, but please take a minute to make the two phone calls he is requesting from the netroots and grassroots across the country. We can make our voices heard, in concert, once again and cry out together for a return to respecting our Constitution.
      David, a respected member of the online community and the press, has expressed his outrage at this planned event and rallied to mobilize people and online connections. Please take a moment to support him. His second request is to contact a local newspaper, a tactic which seems to be more and more effective at getting out word of dissent as this Occupation drags into it's 6th year.
      Also, I am anxiously awaiting news of today's actions for Sen. John McCain's visit to our fair capitol city! Please let me know how things went! Having heard that several groups were organizing, I'm on pins and needles, here.

      It's a beautiful sunny day without a cloud in the sky in our Nation's Capitol today.  I was fortunate to attend a victory rally this morning at the D.C. courthouse for a friend from New York whose unlawful arrest in the Capitol in April was vacated. It's not often that we see true Justice anymore and it was refreshing to see a glimmer of life and hope in the D.C. court system. However, the cloud of shame still hangs over this city. I will continue to stand in opposition, as I know will all of you.

      In Peace and Solidarity,

      Lori

      There is no military solution.

      ~General David Petraeus, Commander Multi-National Force - Iraq

      Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 08:14:12 -0400
      From: david@...
      To: activists@...
      Subject: [Activists] Bush at Monticello: Tickets and Protests

      Bush at Monticello: Tickets and Protests

      To get in you must pick up free tickets at 7 a.m. on Wednesday at the Monticello Visitors Center. Bring as many people as you can, and each request the maximum of four tickets. Go early!
      To protest outside meet at 8 a.m. on Friday at Quarry Park. Please bring posters, signs, costumes, banners, props.
      Here's a map that includes Monticello, the visitors center, and Quarry Park: Map.
      Here's a new flyer: PDF Flyer.
      Keep phoning Monticello! The Thomas Jefferson Foundation, a private nonprofit, owns and operates Monticello with a professed mission of preservation and education. Call Monticello right now and ask them to uninvite Bush: (434) 984-9822. Then let the Daily Progress newspaper in Charlottesville know that you've done that: enewstips@...
      The Unitary Executive is scheduled to disgrace the grounds of Thomas Jefferson's house, Monticello, in Charlottesville, Va. During a July 4 naturalization ceremony, immigrants will swear to "support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic" at an event besmirched by the presence of the Constitution's leading domestic enemy. Jefferson's Declaration of Independence from King George faulted him for harassment by his troops, elevating the military above civilian power, denying people a fair trial by jury by transporting them overseas to be tried on false accusations, and other abuses that have been matched by our current King George. He has claimed the power to ignore laws, to rewrite laws, to adhere to secret laws, to discard habeas corpus, to spy without warrant, to detain without charge, to torture, to murder, and to lie the nation into wars of conquest. All citizens, old and new, have a duty to support and defend the Constitution, a document that requires the impeachment of a president as criminal and abusive as the current one.
      Learn more about impeaching Bush: http://afterdowningstreet.org/bush
      For information on the protest, including housing if coming from out of town, call 434-961-6278.

      Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference. Learn more.