It's a Slippery Slope to War: Mike Pence sliding U.S. into Iran War

  • Lori Perdue
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2008
      Indiana's 6th District Congressman, Mike Pence is co-sponsor of this legislation. (H.Con Res 362, see UFPJ Alert below)
      It occurs to me that no matter your polical party or leanings all evidence points to a high level of disapproval with the Iraq War. And, in a time that a widening majority of We, The People, are feeling regret at ever having allowed the Iraq War to happen, we are now looking at legislation that could at the worst be considered an outright act of war against Iran, if implemented, to a military presence for purposes of instigation, to, at a minimum, legislating "Shortcuts" to war on Iran.
      Residents of Indiana and especially the 6th District need to know HOW we are being represented. Pence is doing this in your name, 6th District. You, Hoosiers, You, the people of Wells, Adams, Blackford, Jay, Madison, Delaware, Randolph, Henry, Wayne, Rush, Fayette, Union, Decatur, and Franklin Counties, as well as some of you in Dearborn, Bartholomew, Johnson, Shelby, and Allen Counties, this legislation is being offered on your behalf.
      Call your Congressman today. If Mike Pence is your Representative, call him, have your neighbors call him. Make him explain to his constituents why he would offer legislation that would make it eaiser for America to get into another war. Slippery slope, indeed. It doesn't help to have Mike Pence cutting peace, international justice and diplomacy off at the knees.

      In Peace and Solidarity,

      Lori Perdue

      There is no military solution.

      ~General David Petraeus, Commander Multi-National Force - Iraq

      Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:15:25 -0400
      From: listmaster@...
      To: gottabeme23@...
      Subject: It's a Slippery Slope to War: Ask Your Rep to Oppose H. Con. Res. 362

      email blast template
      Please forward widely.
      Dear Lori,
      Do Not Attack Iran The U.S. House of Representatives is considering a new resolution that could effectively demand a blockade against Iran -- an act that would be widely seen as an act of war and could invite Iranian retaliation, possibly leading us into a shooting war.
      Over the last three weeks, 77 House Democrats and 92 Republicans have agreed to cosponsor this resolution, but we think many do not realize its dangerous implications.
      This resolution (H. Con. Res. 362) was introduced by Representative Gary Ackerman. The most alarming provision "demands that the President initiate an international effort to immediately and dramatically increase the economic, political, and diplomatic pressure on Iran to verifiably suspend its nuclear enrichment activities by, inter alia, prohibiting the export to Iran of all refined petroleum products; imposing stringent inspection requirements on all persons, vehicles, ships, planes, trains, and cargo entering or departing Iran; and prohibiting the international movement of all Iranian officials not involved in negotiating the suspension of Iran's nuclear program."
      Such a blockade imposed without United Nations authority (which the resolution does not call for) would be seen as an act of war. Congressional sources say the bill might first go to committee, which gives us a little more time to pressure our representatives. But whether or not it goes first to committee, or directly to the floor of the House, action on H. Con. Res. 362 is needed now. We urge you to ask your representative not to support this dangerous step toward war with Iran.
      Congressional leaders seem to have assumed that there would be little opposition to this punitive measure against Iran, and they have put it on a fast track to passage. But due to the threat of war, many organizations and reasonable members of Congress are working overtime to stop this bill. Won't you join them?
      Please take action now -- ask your representative to oppose this dangerous path that could lead directly to war with Iran.
      You can find the full text of the resolution and list of co-sponsors here:
      http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.CON.RES.362:

      Yours,

      Robert Naiman and Mike Lynn
      Co-Conveners, UFPJ's Iran Working Group

      Help us continue to do this critical work: Make a donation to UFPJ today.

      UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
      www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545
      PO Box 607; Times Square Station; New York, NY 10108

      Click here to unsubscribe

      The other season of giving begins 6/24/08. Check out the i’m Talkathon. Check it out!