"5 Years Too Many" Update #2

  • Timothy Baer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2008
      The Delaration of Peace

      Please forward this e-mail widely! Thank you!

      5 Years Too Many!

      Take Action in the Nation's Capital
      and Around the Country!

      Wednesday, March 19, 2008

      Countdown to March 19th

      Less than 6 weeks to go!
      Organize ~ Publicize ~ Plan ~ Prepare

      The Declaration of Peace and United for Peace and Justice encourage your participation in the nonviolent actions that are being organized in Washington, D.C. and across the country during the 5th anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

      This is the second of seven weekly
      "5 Years Too Many"
      e-mails.
      Look for future e-mails every Friday morning.

      * Will you be in Washington, D.C.
      on March 19th?

      After five years of death and violation in Iraq ... it's time to put our bodies on the line in massive numbers ... in the "seat of power", Washington, D.C.

      We encourage everyone who can to join United for Peace and Justice, The Declaration of Peace, and scores of other organizations and campaigns in D.C. on March 19th, to be part of a powerful day of nonviolent action.

      We are hoping to have groups or individuals representing all 50 states, taking part in this massive day of action.

      What state will you represent in D.C.?

      Will you be there?

      ** March 19th Local Actions
      Throughout the Country

      While UFPJ and DoP are working hard to have a large turnout in D.C. on March 19th, it is also necessary to be visible and vocal in our local communities on that day.

      Congress will not be in session, so our Representatives and Senators will be in their home districts/ states.

      We are aiming to have at least one action in each of the 435 Congressional districts.

      We encourage those who are not able to make it to D.C. on March 19th to organize and participate in local actions.

      These local events will vary in character and location -- some will be vigils, others civil disobedience actions, some will be held at Congressional offices, others in town squares -- but they will all be tied to the actions in Washington and sending the same message to the policy makers: It is time to end this war and occupation!

      What is being organized in your area?

      We'd like to hear from you so that we can share information about events with others in your area.

      *** Now Is The Time to Act!

      We believe the anti-war movement must use the 5th anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Iraq as the beginning of a renewed and bolder effort to finally bring this war to an end.

      This is a challenging call to action, but it is urgent that on the 5th anniversary we act in as strong a way as possible to help ensure that ending the war on Iraq remains a central issue with policymakers and with the general public.

      **** Nonviolence Training Resources

      The Declaration of Peace wants to help you prepare for powerful actions / events during the 5th anniversary.
      To that end, we offer to you our Nonviolence Training Resources.

      ***** "5 Years Too Many"
      Declaration of Peace Conference Call
      Monday, February 18 at 8 p.m.

      You've no doubt been talking to your friends and neighbors about the upcoming 5th anniversary. Now come together on February 18th to talk to people across the country, to share ideas and inspiration, and give and receive advice on organizing for the March 19th actions in D.C. and around the country.

      Over the past year-and-a-half, Declaration of Peace national conference calls have enabled activists across the country to connect with each other. We've heard so many inspiring success stories and good ideas on these calls.

      "5 Years Too Many" Conference Call
      Monday, February 18, 2008
      8:00 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time)

      Phone:
      1-712-432-2500
      Access Code: 12131415#

      Get the Word Out - Make 5 Phone Calls for "5 Years Too Many"

      Can you make 5 phone calls to anti-war activists in your state or Congressional district to help promote "5 Years Too Many"?

      Every one of you will matter on March 19th, whether you come to D.C. or organize a local action. The more people we can reach personally to help and encourage, the stronger a message we will send that day.

      Please email us at info@... as soon as possible if you're interested in making some phone calls. We need you to encourage others to get on the February 18th conference call and to act on March 19th.

      What will you be doing on March 19th?
      Let us know!

      Join the call on February 18th.

      Join the Nonviolent Actions in Washington, D.C.

      "Organize Locally ~ Coordinate Nationally"

      Start organizing affinity groups and local meetings now.

      For more information about the D.C. actions on March 19th, see:

      http://www.5YearsTooMany.org

      Please forward this e-mail to your friends, organizations, listservs. etc.

      Unsubscribe

      Subscribe

      DonateNow

      For More Information: