Indiana drone replica

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2013
      It concerns me, more than a little bit, that people in Detroit/Ann Arbor picked up our replica Sept. 24, and will have it until February 16, 2014.

      From their website: http://thegalleryproject.com/

      Also from their website:

      "In this exhibit, artists will explore drones from various perspectives including their current and future designs, capabilities, applications, and likely societal impacts and consequences. They will present concepts both real and imagined for current and future applications. They will also examine the context and environment of drone development including the developers, users, and in some cases, victims, of these technologies" This seems to me more of an advertisement for drones, than their destructiveness.)

      Date of exhibits:

      DETROIT: October 11th - November 24, 2013

      Exhibition Opening & Reception: Friday, October 11th, 6:00pm - 11:00pm

      Closing: Sunday, November 24th, 6:00pm

      ANN ARBOR: January 3rd - February 16th, 2013

      Exhibition Opening & Reception: Friday, January 3rd, 6:00pm - 9:00pm

      Closing: Sunday, February 16th, 4:00pm

      Did we know they would keep it this long? It's great our replica is being used, but  for nearly five months? I, for one, had plans to use it mid-October, but that's shot.

      Am I the only one who is concerned about this?

      dave

    • carl R
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2013
        Yes, I am concerned with this as well.  The assumption was that the drone would be used in a protest against drone warfare, not an expo for drones that would take the drone away for almost a half year.

        I believe that the request came from our friend Nick that built the drone, so there was a belief that the drone would be used in a protest of drone warfare, the reason it was created in the first place.

        Since the drone has not been used here in Indy for many months except to send it down to Bloomington once, perhaps northern Indiana would be a better place to store the drone.

        I suggest that after the exhibit in Detroit, the drone be returned to Dave in Ft. Wayne for storage and use.  Thank you Tim for all the months that the drone was stored at your home and your help moving it from place to place.

        As Tim pointed out, the contact for the use in Detroit was made by Dave.  Next time, we should not make so many assumptions and ask more questions first.

        Is Detroit planning to build drones to make up the fact that the automotive industry is in such bad shape?  We all know that the federal government is willing to spend lots of taxpayers cash to research drones and drone warfare.

        Carl

        From their website: http://thegalleryproject.com/

        Also from their website:

        "In this exhibit, artists will explore drones from various perspectives including their current and future designs, capabilities, applications, and likely societal impacts and consequences. They will present concepts both real and imagined for current and future applications. They will also examine the context and environment of drone development including the developers, users, and in some cases, victims, of these technologies" This seems to me more of an advertisement for drones, than their destructiveness.)

        Date of exhibits: