Fw: [VFP 099] "I HAD THE STRANGEST DREAM...........TO PUT AN END TO WAR....

  • Stay Out of Syria
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2013

      Sent: Friday, August 30, 2013 11:13 AM
      Subject: [VFP 099] "I HAD THE STRANGEST DREAM...........TO PUT AN END TO WAR....

      WHEN THE WORLD

      OUTLAWED WAR

      THE KELLOGG-BRIAND PACT

      AUG. 27, 1928

      200 words

      “Last night I had the strangest dream….the world had all agreed to put an end to war…”: Simon and Garfunkle’s 1950s folk song seems so distant.  But, war has actually been outlawed by the United States, Germany, France, and other major nations when they signed the Kellogg-Briand Pact on August 27, 1928. War was outlawed as an instrument of national policy and the signatories were called upon to settle their disputes by peaceful means.  By the end of 1929, the Senate approved the treaty overwhelmingly 85-1. As we know, the Pact is less than strictly adhered to, or even remembered.

                Thankfully, the dream continues. In our community, the Veterans for Peace, Western Carolinians for Peace and Justice in the Middle East, Moral Monday and others are a positive sign of hope, calling for what is best in America to come to the surface.

                      Frank Kellogg, was a Senator from Minnesota and the Secretary of State when he co-authored the treaty with the French foreign minister Aristide Briand. Both won the Nobel Peace Prize.  The Pact is still U.S. and International Law.

      Please, keep the dream alive; we have the law and the teachings of the nonviolent Jesus on our side.

      --
      PEACE & LOVE,
      MAY IT FILL YOUR HOME, YOUR HEART & THE WORLD!

      THE DAY WILL COME WHEN, AFTER HARNESSING SPACE, THE WINDS, THE TIDES, AND GRAVITY, WE SHALL HARNESS FOR GOD THE ENERGIES OF LOVE, AND ON THAT DAY FOR THE SECOND TIME IN THE HISTORY THE WORLD, WE SHALL HAVE DISCOVERED FIRE.”

                                                         TEILHARD DE CHARDIN

      The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides, and gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, we shall have discovered fire.

      From “Toward the Future,” 1936, XI, 86-87