Update on the Bradley Manning Vigil

  • bbaldwin@...
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2013
      During my lone protest on the Circle protesting Bradley Manning's convictions on all charges except "aiding the enemy," I felt like I was in the movie Idiocracy. I don't know who was the bigger idiot, me, or the numerous people that I encountered, wanting to know who Bradley Manning was. It reminded me of the time someone had a protest sign referring to Karl Rove, and a bystander asked what a "rove" was.

      One car honked in support. Most people that passed by gave me blank stares. I had three guys object to what I was doing. One guy gave me the finger, another shouted that he thought Bradley Manning should be shot, and the third guy shouted "traitor." I don't know if he was referring to Manning, me, or both. It was probably both.

      Several passersby were under the impression that Manning had already been freed. Apparently they only bothered to read part of the headline. ...That is unless Obama pardoned him. Maybe I should check the news.

      The high point was when a group of Russian tourists with a tour guide speaking Russian passed by. I couldn't make out what he was saying except for the word "whistleblower." I was holding a sign at the time that read: "Prosecute War Criminals, Not Whistleblowers." As they went around the circle, two good looking Russian women ran back. One locked her arm in mine and had her friend take our picture together. I wish I had had the presence of mind to give her my email address, so I could get the photo. She spoke English. She said that she supported what I was doing.

      If I ever wind up like Edward Snowden, I might need a Russian girlfriend like her. I should carry around some snazzy business cards that read: "Have Protest Will Travel."

      Right after they left it started raining. The ticker on WIBC said that there was a 40% chance of rain. I thought that was quite fitting, considering the quality of their news.