House To Take Up Revised Iraq War Funding Bill Thursday

  • Timothy Baer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2007

      House To Take Up Revised Iraq War Funding Bill Thursday

      CQ TODAY MIDDAY UPDATE
      May 22, 2007 � 1:51 p.m.

      http://public.cq.com/docs/cqm/cqmidday110-000002517228.html

      The latest war spending bill is expected to come to the House floor Thursday, though Congress may need to work through the weekend to clear a bill for President Bush to sign by Memorial Day, House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer, D-Md., said today.

      �We are hopeful that we are close to an agreement,� he told reporters. �I think we have moved the debate very substantially forward and will continue to do so.�

      Congressional Democrats are expected to drop timelines for withdrawing U.S. troops from Iraq because of White House objections, but have not yet settled on a final plan for advancing a measure that could pass both chambers and be acceptable to Bush. The president vetoed the previous fiscal 2007 emergency war spending bill (HR 1591) on May 1.

      One option being considered would be to forgo a House-Senate conference and take up a supplemental bill (HR 2206) that passed the House May 10 and was essentially hollowed out by the Senate and returned to the House May 17 with nothing but placeholder �support the troops� language as its text.

      Under this plan, the House would put back funding for the war along with language proposed by Sen. John W. Warner, R-Va., requiring the president to produce reports in July and September on the Iraqi government�s progress toward meeting a specified list of benchmarks.

      Source: CQ Today Midday Update
      Political Clippings compiled from BNN Frontrunner and CQ Politics.com.
      � 2007 Congressional Quarterly Inc. All Rights Reserved.

      **********

      "Defund the War ~ Declare Peace!"
      Bring All U.S. Troops Home from Iraq in 2007.
      Let Iraq Live!

      Timothy Baer
      Organizer, Bloomington Peace Action Coalition
      http://www.BPAC.info
      Organizer, The Declaration of Peace
      http://DeclarationofPeace.org
      (812) 988-1917