Senate Rejects Legislation To Cut Off Funds For Iraq War

  • Timothy Baer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2007
      Senators Lugar and Bayh today voted against withdrawing U.S. troops from
      Iraq.
      See the roll call vote at:
      http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00167

      * * *

      Iraq withdrawal move thwarted in Senate

      Senate Rejects Legislation To Cut Off Funds For Iraq War After March 2008

      By ANNE FLAHERTY
      Associated Press Writer

      WASHINGTON, May. 16, 2007

      http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/16/ap/politics/main2814856.shtml

      The Senate on Wednesday rejected legislation that would cut off money for
      combat operations in Iraq after March 31, 2008.

      The vote was a loss for Sen. Russell Feingold, D-Wis., and other Democrats
      who want to end the war. But the effort picked up support from members,
      including presidential hopefuls previously reluctant to limit war funding _
      an indication of the conflict's unpopularity among voters.

      The proposal lost 29-67 on a procedural vote, falling 31 votes short of the
      necessary votes to advance.

      The Senate also narrowly rejected a proposal by Republican moderates
      intended to restrict U.S. aid for Iraq, after Democratic leaders lashed out
      against the proposal as too weak. The 52-44 vote was widely supported by
      Republicans, but fell eight votes shy of the required 60.

      The Senate agreed only on a nonbinding resolution expressing the need to
      pass a war spending bill by Memorial Day. That proposal passed by an 87-9
      vote.

      The other more controversial proposals had been expected to fall short of
      the 60 votes needed to advance under Senate rules, but was intended to gauge
      the tolerance of members on anti-war legislation. Senate Majority Leader
      Harry Reid staged a series of war votes Wednesday to inform negotiations
      with the House on a war spending bill.

      "We stand united.... in our belief that troops are enmeshed in an
      intractable civil war," said Reid, D-Nev.

      Feingold's measure, co-sponsored by Reid and Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Conn.,
      proved divisive for Democrats. On the final vote, 19 Democrats joined 47
      Republicans and Connecticut Independent Joseph Lieberman in opposing the
      measure. Of the 29 supporting were 28 Democrats and Vermont Independent
      Bernard Sanders.

      Sen. Carl Levin, chairman of the Armed Services Committee, said he opposes
      any measure that cuts off money for the war.

      "We don't want to send the message to the troops" that Congress does not
      support them, said Levin, D-Mich. "We're going to support those troops."

      But other Democrats said the move was necessary.

      "I'm not crazy about the language in the Feingold amendment, but I am crazy
      about the idea that we have to keep the pressure on," said Sen. Joseph
      Biden, D-Del., who also wants the Democratic presidential nomination.

      The second measure, drafted by Sen. John Warner, would have threatened
      billions of dollars in U.S. aid to Iraq if Baghdad failed to implement
      certain political and security reforms. But in a last-minute change to the
      proposal to gain White House acceptance, Warner added a provision allowing
      the president to waive the restriction.

      It "is really very tepid, very weak," said Reid, who supports cutting off
      funding for combat next year. "A cup of tea that's been sitting on the
      counter for a few weeks. ... You wouldn't want to drink that tea. You
      wouldn't want to vote for this amendment."

      Warner, R-Va., defended the measure as carefully negotiated and "a
      good-faith effort to do my very best."

      Ultimately, his proposal won support of 44 GOP members, seven Democrats and
      Lieberman. Opposing the legislation were Sanders, 40 Democrats and three
      Republicans.

      The votes came as the Democratic-controlled Congress struggles to clear
      legislation for Bush's signature by the end of next week to continue U.S.
      military operations through Sept. 30.

      The House last week passed legislation funding the war on two separate,
      60-day installments.

      The Senate must take the next step by passing its own measure. Given the
      political forces at work, that legislation will be a placeholder, its only
      purpose to trigger three-way negotiations involving the House, Senate and
      Bush administration on a final compromise.

      As a result, officials said Tuesday that Reid and Senate Republican leader
      Mitch McConnell had discussed jointly advancing a bill so barebones that it
      would contain no funds and do little more than express congressional support
      for the troop.

      Negotiations on the final compromise are expected to take days.

      Wednesday's votes on Feingold and other proposals "will provide strong
      guidance to our conferees and help shape the conference negotiations we have
      ahead of us," said Reid.

      Levin pulled from the floor his proposal to set an Oct. 1 date to begin
      troop withdrawals, but allow the president to waive that requirement. He had
      pitched the idea with the expectation that the president would accept it
      because of the waiver; but, Levin said Wednesday he had been advised by the
      White House that the president would veto the measure regardless.

      Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, a Democratic presidential front-runner,
      previously opposed setting a deadline on the war. But she said she agreed to
      back Feingold's measure "because we, as a united party, must work together
      with clarity of purpose and mission to begin bringing our troops home and
      end this war."

      Sen. Barack Obama, another leading 2008 prospect, said he would prefer a
      plan that offers more flexibility but wanted "to send a strong statement to
      the Iraqi government, the president and my Republican colleagues that it's
      long past time to change course."

      Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may
      not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

      **********

      "Defund the War ~ Declare Peace!"
      Bring All U.S. Troops Home from Iraq in 2007.
      Let Iraq Live!

      Timothy Baer
      Organizer, Bloomington Peace Action Coalition
      http://www.BPAC.info
      Organizer, The Declaration of Peace
      http://DeclarationofPeace.org
      (812) 988-1917