15 ANTI DRONE PROTESTERS ARRESTED AT HANCOCK AIR BASE,SYRACUSE, N.Y. 1

  • carl R
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2012
    Way to go Elliot, and friends.  The nonviolent revolution is on track today.

    From: Mary Lou Pedersen <mpeder3926@...>
    To: Undisclosed-Recipient@...
    Date: Thursday, June 28, 2012, 6:53 PM

    PRESS RELEASE
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
    June 28th, 2012

    CONTACT:  Mary Anne Grady Flores, Ithaca Catholic Workers  607-280-8797
                        Ann Tiffany, S.P.C.  315-478-4571
    For Live Video Footage:
    15 ANTI DRONE PROTESTERS ARRESTED
    AT HANCOCK AIR BASE, SYRACUSE, N.Y.

    June, 28.    At 1:41 pm today, 15 New Yorkers were arrested when they blocked the main gate of Hancock Air Base, Syracuse, NY. unfurling Anti-Reaper Drone banners. The banners declared, "Federal Crime Scene, Don't Cross!" with vivid illustrations of young victims of Drone strikes. One banner pictured MLK stating "I have a dream!", and next to him was Obama stating "I have a drone". What has happened to MLK's dream?

    A war crimes indictment was read aloud, against the entire chain of command from President Obama on down, for crimes against peace and crimes against humanity, to base personnel at the gate. Shortly after the arrests began.

    Clare Grady, Mark Scibilia Carver, and Ed Kinane were jailed for non-compliance of former community service requirements from the previous drone protest sentencing.  They're being held in the Syracuse Justice Center. Their arraignment is set for July 3rd at 6pm in front of Judge Gideon. The rest of the co defendants were released without bail.

    Hancock Air Base is one of dozens of military drone bases in the US.  It is Central New York's
    hub for the piloting of the MQ-9 Reaper, an unmanned high-tech airborne killer robot, over Afghanistan.  These drone incursions  violate our US Constitution, Article 6, and International Law. US drones clandestinely kill civilians and noncombatants in various countries including Afghanistan, Iraq, Yemen, Somalia, Pakistan, and the Philippines.

    Simultaneously, over 40 people gathered to protest the Drones at the
    Syracuse Federal Building. There was a press conference, publicly reading the war crimes indictment.  Copies of the indictment were hand delivered to Senators Gillibrand and Schumer's offices.  The resounding sentiment of the two groups gathered is that we will not be silent and complicit with our government's drone strikes, assassinations, and Obama's Infamous Kill List.

    Arrested were all from the Upstate Coalition to Ground the Drones and End the Wars.
    1-Elliott Adams - Vets for Peace, Sharon Springs
    2-Dan Burgevin - Trumansburg NY
    3- Danny Burns - Catholic Workers, Ithaca, NY
    4- Clare Grady - Catholic Workers, Ithaca  NY
    5- Ellen Grady - Catholic Workers, Ithaca NY
    6- John Hamilton - Ithaca Peace Now, Ithaca, NY
    7- George Homanich - Broome County Peace Action, Binghamton, NY
    8- Judy Homanich - Broome County Peace Action, Binghamton, NY
    9- Ed Kinane - Syracuse Peace Council, Syracuse NY
    10- Rae Kramer -Syracuse Peace Council, Syracuse, NY
    11- Nate Lewis - Iraq Vets Against the War, Vets for Peace, Trumansburg, NY
    12- Dave McLallen- Syracuse, NY
    13- Mark Scibilia Carver- Ithaca Catholic Worker, Trumansburg, NY
    14- James Ricks - Ithaca, NY
    15- Mary Snyder - Broome County Peace Action

    Mary Anne Grady Flores
    514 N. Plain St., Ithaca, NY 14850 1-607-273-7437/ 1-607-280-8797
    Ithaca Catholic Workers  /  Los Obreros Catolicas de Ithaca

    "If you think one person can't be effective, you've never been in bed with a mosquito" -War Resister's League

    "Protest beyond the law is not a departure from democracy; it is absolutely essential to it"   Howard Zinn (1922-2010)

    "Si usted piensa que una persona no puede ser eficaz, nunca he estado en la cama con un mosquito" Liga de la Guerra Opositor

    "La protesta más allá de la ley no se aparta de la democracia, es absolutamente esencial para que" Howard Zinn (1922-2010)

    Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

    www.democracynow.org
    www.puertoricotopalestine.org
    www.stpatricksfour.org