"Participate for Peace!" ~ July 4 - 9, 2005

  • BPAC Peace
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2005
      July 4 - 9, 2005
      Bloomington Peace Action Coalition's
      "Participate for Peace!"
      The U.S. Occupation of Iraq must end now!
      Support House Concurrent Resolution 35, calling for an end to the occupation, by developing and implementing a plan for immediate removal of U.S. forces from Iraq.
      Write and call your Congressional Representatives and ask them to support and co-sponsor House Con. Res. 35.  Read the full text of the Resolution at:
      All Congressional contact information can be found at http://www.visi.com/juan/congress
      The House of Representatives switchboard number is 1-202-225-3121
      Please act now!
      GET INVOLVED in Peace activities this week!
      Pray and work for Peace!
      This "Independence Day" week holds many Peace-related demonstrations and special events in the Bloomington, Indiana area.

      Monday, July 4:
      Do something patriotic!  *Speak out, write, and demonstrate against war, torture, militarism, and radioactive uranium weapons. (see next entry) *Talk about, lobby, pray, and work for Peace!
      The survival of the nation and the world depend on it.
      Time: all day     Location: everywhere
      Monday, July 4:
      Peace / Anti-war Presence at the 4th of July Parade
      Members of Bloomington Peace Action Coalition and the I.U. student group  "Against the Occupation of Iraq" (AOI) will gather at 2:30 pm at the Courthouse Square (on the Corner of Kirkwood and Walnut) to hold up our banner and signs calling for an end to the U.S. occupation of Iraq. We will also be circulating around the area to gather signatures on the Petition to Support House Concurrrent Resolution 35, which calls for an immediate withdrawal of U.S. Troops from Iraq.
      10 people have already confirmed that they will be there on Monday, 7 of whom will be collecting signatures on the Petition. Your presence will help multiply these numbers. We're planning on collecting 500 signatures on Monday! Let's do it! Please join us!
      Time: 2:30 pm
      Location: Monroe County Courthouse Square
      corner of Kirkwood Ave. and Walnut Street, Bloomington
      Monday, July 4:
      "Standing Room Only" WFHB Community Radio's lecture series
      "Standing Room Only" features lectures and other public forums digitally recorded on-location at various sites in Monroe County. This program amplifies voices not adequately represented in mainstream media, helping to raise consciousness of issues and events affecting life in south central Indiana and beyond.
      This week's broadcast features "Afghanistan: An Informal Talk and Discussion" presented by four faculty members from the English Department at Kabul Education University in Kabul, Afghanistan, recorded on Monday, May 23 at the Monroe County Public Library.
      You can also listen to or download the program by going to http://news.wfhb.org/
      For more information, e-mail WFHB News Director Chad Carrothers at news@...
      Time: 6:00 - 7:00 pm
      Location: WFHB ~ 91.3 & 98.1 FM
      Tuesday, July 5:
      Monthly information sharing and planning meeting
      Help organize and implement our campaigns, activities, and events. Everyone is welcome!
      Time: 6:00 – 7:00 pm
      Location: Monroe Co. Public Library, Room 1-C
      303 E. Kirkwood Ave., Bloomington
      Tuesday, July 5:
      "Daresalam" African film showing at the BCT (in Arabic and French with English subtitles)
      Presented bt the Buskirk-Chumley Theater and I.U.'s Summer Cooperative African Language Institute
      "Daresalam" is the first African feature film to focus on the civil wars convulsing the continent from Sierra Leone to Somalia. It provides compelling insights into how ordinary people around the world get swept up in extraordinary events. Its timeless story of two childhood friends turned into political foes personalizes the terrible costs of strife. Not only is this director Issa Serge Coelo’s first feature film but, is one of the first feature films from the country of Chad.
      Cost: $5 or African Film Series pass for $20