Re: [ipjn] My response to Ltr trashing peace movement

  • Linda Greene
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2011
      Congratulations, Cathy: you hit a nerve! You know what they say--bad publicity is as good as good publicity for getting the word out.

      If you want to get coverage in the newspaper, try a creative nonviolent action, one that has a lot of visual appeal because then it provides a good photo. A die-in is a simple action, & if you hold up traffic & write a good news release beforehand, you should get some coverage. Costumes & masks work well, too.

      Linda Greene
      Bloomington

      On Jun 4, 2011, at 3:52 PM, Cathy McGuire wrote:

      Note:  I chose not to respond to the Cuba allegations.  I will do that in a separate letter.
      Much easier to get a short letter published quickly.

      Dear Editor,

      I am pleased to see that an unbiased observer has noted that neither my name or anything about the peace movement has been in the news for several years.  On June 4, writer Eric Brown wrongly concluded that  the local peace movement was only created to  make attacks on Pres. George W. Bush and implied that we had quit demonstrating and bringing in speakers.   We are still out here, but the media does not cover us anymore.

         I have been told my press releases aren't real news just announcements, and once I was told it was because I didn't write a very good lead sentence.  Many years ago, a colleague and I went to a tv station to as if a rumor was true that they had decided to to discontinue covering us. They  said it was not true then showed us a ratings books where they had done a poll to see what people wanted to see on the news.  They sighed and said it wasn't their fault that only 13% of those polled wanted to see peace demonstrations on tv.  In fairness, they did later cover a few of our events.

         I thought surely with all the coverage that returning and leaving soldiers get that the media would be interested in writing about another side of the story.  Two young former marines who had become Conscientious Objectors after serving in Fallujah and Baghdad spoke at the Unitarian Universalist Congreg., but they received no coverage.  One tv station took pictures of their leaving town on their bicycles the next day, but the story never ran.  Last fall we had a speaker at the public library whose topic was Pres. Obama was not keeping his promises, but again no coverage. Our only way to get in the paper, is to write a letter to the editor and then only once a month.

      Our next speaker will be Sun. June 12 at 2 p.m. at UUs. and he will speak about the immorality of using robotic Drones in warfare.

      It is the press that is MIA, not the peace movement.  Join us instead of accusing us of not doing more.

    • RITA WAGNER
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2011
        From Marvin: Why is the nearly unlimited use of the public domain of air space allowed? Answer-To encourage voice and image manipulation of the voting masses.

        Question # 2-Our constitution guarantees government of, by and for the people, yet is silent about the needed tools to accomplish fully efficient and fair government.  Although I did read that our original national government did provide for public publication of government involvement.

        Comment: