"Participate for Peace!" ~ May 22 - 27, 2006

  • BPAC Peace
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2006
      May 22 - 27, 2006

      Bloomington Peace Action Coalition's
      "Participate for Peace!"

      One in three Iraqi children is malnourished and underweight, according to a report released by the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) in Amman, Jordan on May 2, 2006.

      … According to the report, a full 25 percent of Iraqi children between six months and five years old suffer from either acute or chronic malnutrition.
      ... the results of a September 2005 Food Security and Vulnerability Analysis – commissioned by Iraq's Central Organisation for Statistics and Information Technology, the World Food Programme, and UNICEF – showed worsening conditions since the April 2003 US-led invasion of the country.

      See the IRIN article "UN report cites vast under-nutrition among children"
      http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IRIN/2f579a75641ad1b1b8ef750a7efb67ce.htm

      **********

      In an interview with Howard Zinn published in Tikkun on May 17, 2006, Shelly R. Fredman asks:
      "Has the Left responded adequately to the kind of fascism we see coming from Bush's people? Street protests seem to be ineffective; it's sometimes disheartening."

      Howard Zinn replied: "The responses are never adequate, until they build and build and something changes. People very often think that there must be some magical tactic, beyond the traditional ones - protests, demonstrations, vigils, civil disobedience - but there is no magical panacea, only persistence in continuing and escalating the usual tactics of protest and resistance. The end of the Vietnam War did not come because the Left suddenly did something new and dramatic, but because all of the actions built up over time."

      **********

      Let's all commit to diligently work together to make Peace a reality in Iraq and prevent war on Iran. Join us!

      1. Report from CodePink's Mother's Day 2006 Vigil in D.C. and Call for Hunger Strike

      2. Report on "Don't Attack Iran" Petition

      3. The Declaration of Peace: A Nonviolent Action Campaign For an End to the U.S. War in Iraq

      4. Voters For Peace Pledge: "No More War Candidates"

      5. Calendar of anti-war / Peace events / opportunities for Bloomington, Indiana and Washington, D.C.

      ********************

      1.) Report from CodePink's Mother's Day 2006 Vigil in D.C. and Call for Hunger Strike

      This past weekend, CodePink transformed the park in front of the White House. The lawn became a magical space filled with families reclaiming the historical origin of Mother's Day as a time to work for Peace. Cindy Sheehan, Susan Sarandon, Patch Adams, Dick Gregory and Iraqi and Iranian women added their voices and talents to our 24-hour peace vigil.
      For news coverage of Mother's Day 2006 Vigil in D.C., see:
      http://www.codepinkalert.org//article.php?id=986

      CodePink writes: "We literally put our bodies on the line to create a beautiful aerial image spelling 'Mom Says NO WAR.'
      ( http://www.codepinkalert.org/article.php?id=984 )
      We held teach-ins on Iraq, Iran, immigrant rights, Katrina and more. We cried with moms who lost their children; we prayed with Native American healers; we read letters to Laura Bush; we sang and danced and created a powerful and compassionate community. At the close of the 24 hours, we tied roses with names of the dead onto the White House fence, and as we chanted "No More War, No More War", the rain that was predicted for both days suddenly burst forth as if cleansing our nation's soul. You can see photos at our virtual vigil at http://www.codepinkalert.org/article.php?list=type&type=141 A dedicated group of CodePink women took inspiration from the weekend and decided to stay in D.C. for a month, taking action at Congress every day to demand an end to war. Click on http://www.womensayenough.org/ to read more about their action plans.

      While the entire weekend was filled with magical moments, one stood out. Comedian and civil rights leader Dick Gregory -- legendary for fasting against the Vietnam War -- was in Cleveland en route to California when he saw the CodePink vigil on CNN, and immediately changed planes to join us in D.C. There he met environmentalist/author and CodePink cofounder Diane Wilson, who earlier had called all of us to up our commitment and join her in a hunger strike. The two of them joined together and called us to a long-term fast to bring the troops home. Cindy Sheehan, CodePink members, military families and Iraqi vets have already agreed to join.

      On July 4, we will launch an historic hunger strike called TROOPS HOME FAST. While many Americans will be expressing their patriotism via barbeques and fireworks, we'll be fasting in memory of the dead and wounded, and calling for our nation to be the democracy it was created to be, not an empire. We're inviting people around the world to show their support for this open-ended fast by committing to fast for one day -- July 4 -- plus as many more days as you can handle.
      and encourage your friends to do the same at
      Together, we can bring our troops home."

      Check out all the other ways you can join with CodePink this summer at

      **********

      2.) Report on "Don't Attack Iran" Petition

      The first 43,000 signatures on the "Don't Attack Iran" Petition were delivered to The White House on Thursday, May 18.

      For video, audio, and print reports on the May 18th rally at the White House and the march to Rumsfeld's House, see: http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/10827

      If you have not already done so, Please sign the "Don't Attack Iran" Petition at:
      http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/iran
      and include your name and comments with the next 43,000 signatures.

      For more actions and information on preventing an attack on Iran, visit:

      **********

      Gandhi said, “If the method of violence takes plenty of training, the method of nonviolence takes even more training,
      and that training is much more difficult than the training for violence.”

      3.) The Declaration of Peace

      A Nonviolent Action Campaign For an End to the U.S. War in Iraq

      The Declaration of Peace is a nonviolent action campaign to end the U.S. war in Iraq and bring the U.S. troops home now. By signing the Declaration of Peace, people across the United States will pledge to: work actively for this immediate withdrawal from Iraq and take nonviolent action if the U.S. government has not established a comprehensive withdrawal plan by a mid-September, 2006 deadline.

      If a withdrawal plan is not established by the deadline — shortly before Congress adjourns for the fall elections — thousands of people will engage in nonviolent action in Washington, D.C. and in congressional offices and other sites throughout the nation. Nationally coordinated nonviolent activities will continue on a regular basis until the United States withdraws from Iraq.

      The Declaration of Peace will call for a comprehensive exit policy, including:
      • Withdrawal of U.S. troops
      • Closure of U.S. military bases
      • Support for an Iraqi-led peace process, including a peace conference to shape a post-occupation transition
      • End to U.S. control of Iraqi oil
      • Reparations for the destruction that this war has caused, and
      • Increased support for U.S. veterans of the Iraq war

      For more details and to sign the Declaration of Peace, visit:
      http://www.declarationofpeaceorg/

      Thank you!

      **********

      4.) Voters For Peace: The power to end the war and prevent future wars of aggression.
      What if millions decided to vote their conscience and said 'No More War Candidates'?

      The Voters Pledge makes visible a powerful political force, the peace vote, a force that politicians cannot continue to ignore. It sends a clear message to the hawkish minority that leads both major parties to end the occupation of Iraq and to end unprovoked attacks on other nations.

      Sign the Voters Pledge and ask at least 10 of your friends to sign as well. You can help get 2 million signers in 2006.

      "I will not vote for or support any candidate for Congress or President who does not make a speedy end to the war in Iraq, and preventing any future war of aggression, a public position in his or her campaign."

      Read more about the Voters Pledge in Cindy Sheehan's "A Perfect Mother's Day Gift: Create a Peace Movement That Ends the Iraq Occupation and Prevents Future Wars of Aggression" at: http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/051206R.shtml

      **********

      We have blue and white weatherproof yard signs with a highly readable, bold message: "END THE WAR!" They are union-made and come with a heavy wire frame, making outdoor display easy. They are only $5 each.
      Look at the image now at http://www.unitedforpeace.org/img/original/yard_sign.jpg
      Get them any Wednesday at our Peace Vigil after 5:00 p.m. (see below)
      or call: (812) 988-1917 or e-mail: BPACpeace@...

      Visit Bloomington Peace Action Coalition's weekly-updated website for lots of usable information. BPAC.info lists dozens of links to other activist organizations and news /commentary resources, as well as archived articles, and information on BPAC's campaigns, and past and future events.
      Visit: http://www.BPAC.info
      (News resources are listed by rolling down the left-hand column of the homepage.)

      GET INVOLVED in anti-war / Peace activities in the Bloomington, Indiana area. See the following listing of events and activities for Bloomington and beyond.

      We need you! Pray and work for Peace.

      ~ PLEASE SHARE THIS INFORMATION WITH EVERYONE ~

      5.) Calendar of anti-war / Peace events / opportunities for Bloomington, Indiana and Washington, D.C.

      *******
      Sunday through Monday, May 21 - 22:

      United for Peace and Justice (UFPJ)
      Grassroots Training and Congressional Advocacy Days

      Don't miss this opportunity to make your voice heard on Capitol Hill, and to meet activists from your area who will do anything -- even talk to members of Congress -- to STOP THIS WAR!
      Click here to learn more and to register:
      http://www.unitedforpeace.org/modinput4.php?modin=121.

      The UFPJ Grassroots Training and Congressional Advocacy Days offer activists a unique opportunity to join with members of scores of local and national organizations for three days of strategic planning, training and organizing sessions, and meetings with members of Congress.

      Congressional visits on Monday will focus on bringing U.S. troops home from Iraq now and funding reconstruction efforts, and stopping an attack on Iran. Visit our website for information on specific legislation:

      The UFPJ Grassroots Training and Congressional Advocacy Days in September 2005 brought almost 1,000 people to the halls of Congress. Some of our elected officials in Washington started to pay attention to the peace movement, introducing ever-stronger bills to end the war in Iraq. Peace activists who attended the advocacy days made contacts with like-minded souls in their hometowns and states, and the UFPJ Legislative Action Network was born. Since then, we have been pressuring Congress to stop the war, while continuing to protest in the streets.
      Now we return to Washington. Please join us!

      Register at: http://www.unitedforpeace.org/modinput4.php?modin=121.
      When you visit the registration page, you will also see the tentative agenda and other important information.

      Several UFPJ member groups are key organizers of the trainings and lobby effort: Peace Action, Progressive Democrats of America, Institute for Policy Studies, CodePink, Global Exchange, AfterDowningStreet.org, Physicians for Social Responsibility chapters in Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, Boston and others.

      *******
      Monday, May 22:
      Counter-recruiting and "End the Occupation of Iraq" Demonstration

      'Against the Occupation of Iraq' continues the protest against military recruitment and the U.S. occupation of Iraq outside the Indiana National Guard recruiting office. Please get involved! We will only be successful in stopping the war machine and military recruitment in our community by your active participation.
      Time: 4:00 p.m.
      Location: Indiana National Guard recruiting office,
      Kirkwood Avenue (across from Peoples Park), Bloomington

      *******
      Wednesday, May 24:
      End-the-War Demonstration ~
      "End the U.S. Occupation of Iraq! Bring the Troops Home Now! ”
      Everyday, wonderful people are being killed in Iraq. Why ?!
      With more than 42,130 * Iraqi civilians killed and 2,455 ** U.S. soldiers dead and 18,088 ** U.S. military wounded since March 2003, this illegal, immoral war and military occupation in Iraq MUST END NOW!

      Take a stand for Peace. Join us!

      * see http://www.iraqbodycount.net/ ** see http://icasualties.org/oif/
      Sponsored by Bloomington Peace Action Coalition

      Time: 5:00 - 6:00 p.m.
      Location: Monroe County Courthouse Square
      corner of Kirkwood Ave. and Walnut Street, Bloomington

      *******
      Thursday, May 25:
      'Shortwave Report' on WFHB
      News from around the world (picked up on "shortwave" radio) and delivered locally via WFHB, every Thursday at 11:30 a.m..
      See complete WFHB programming schedule, http://www.wfhb.org/wfhb_program_guide.pdf
      Time: 11:30 a.m.
      Location: WFHB ~ 91.3 & 98.1 FM

      *******
      Thursday, May 25:
      'Truth in Recruiting' Group meeting
      Bloomington citizens committed to countering the military recruiters' activities in local community schools. Help publicize the Conscientious Objection forum in June (see below) and participate in other critical counter-recruiting work.Your involvement is needed.
      Time: 1:00 p.m.
      Location: Encore Cafe', W. 6th Street, Bloomington

      *******
      Friday, May 26:
      Counter-recruiting and "End the Occupation of Iraq" Demonstration

      'Against the Occupation of Iraq' continues the protest against military recruitment and the U.S. occupation of Iraq outside the Indiana National Guard recruiting office every Friday afternoon.
      Time: 3:00 p.m.
      Location: Indiana National Guard recruiting office,
      Kirkwood Avenue (across from Peoples Park), Bloomington

      *******
      Saturday, May 27:
      Peace Vigil ~ "War Is Not The Answer!"

      sponsored by the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (Brown County branch)
      Time: 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
      Location: Brown County Courthouse, Main and Van Buren Streets, Nashville, Indiana

      *******
      Now through June 14:
      "Women say: ENOUGH! BASTA!"
      What are you willing to do this year to end war?
      CodePink Bay Area is sounding the call for women to say, "ENOUGH! BASTA! In 2006: We end war!"
      Can you visualize 10's of 1000's of women surrounding Congress & refusing to leave - for a week, for 2 weeks, for a month - until Congress has voted no more war?
      To learn more and to commit your involvement, visit: http://www.womensayenough.org/

      Location: Washington, D.C.

      *******

      ... and looking ahead ...

      *******
      Monday, June 5:
      Bloomington Peace Action Coalition organizing meeting
      Help organize and implement our “End the Iraq War and Occupation” campaigns, activities, and events. Discussion will include organizing for preventing an attack on Iran. Everyone is welcome and needed! Join us!
      Time: 6:00 - 7:30 p.m.
      Location: Monroe County Public Library, Room 1-B, 303 E. Kirkwood Avenue, Bloomington

      *******
      Monday, June 12:
      "People of Conscience and the Morality of War" forum and discussion
      A public forum for youth considering Conscientious Objection and asking the questions: "Are any wars good? Are you willing to be ordered to kill? What happens when you decide to follow your conscience?"
      Sponsored by 'Truth in Recruiting', Bloomington Friends Meeting, 'Against the Occupation of Iraq' and Bloomington Peace Action Coalition.
      Time: 7:00 p.m.
      Location: Monroe County Public Library, Room 1-B, 303 E. Kirkwood Avenue, Bloomington

      *******
      June 23 - 28, 2006
      World Peace Forum 2006
      Vancouver, Canada

      The World Peace Forum 2006 is an international gathering of individuals, groups and civic governments from cities and communities to envision a living culture of peace and sustainability in our lifetimes.

      The World Peace Forum 2006 will organize panels, workshops, public forums, arts and entertainment activities and networking events to offer all participants an open space for discussion and performance within the main theme of "Cities and Communities: Working together to end war and build a peaceful, just and sustainable world."

      *******

      United States Senators from Indiana

      Senator Richard G. Lugar (R)
      United States Senate
      306 Hart Senate Office Building
      Washington, D.C. 20510-1401

      DC Phone: 202-224-4814
      DC Fax: 202-228-0360
      E-mail Address: senator_lugar@...

      Senator Evan Bayh (D)
      United States Senate
      463 Russell Senate Office Building
      Washington, D.C. 20510-1404

      DC Phone: 202-224-5623
      DC Fax: 202-228-1377
      E-mail Address: http://bayh.senate.gov/LegForm.htm

      Timothy Baer
      Organizer, Bloomington Peace Action Coalition
      (812) 988-1917
      BPACpeace@...
      http://www.BPAC.info