Prosecute those responsible for torture

  • Carl Rising-Moore
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2011
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: RootsAction Team <info@...>
      Date: Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 10:29 AM
      To: carlrisingmoore@...

      GRAPHIC: Roots Action logo header

      Tell the people of Spain: Please do what the U.S. won't. Prosecute torture.

      GRAPHIC: Sign here button

      Dear Carl,

      If you've wanted to be part of a powerful effort to bring Bush-era officials to justice for their crimes, now is your chance. We've launched a national campaign to reach out to the people of Spain, whose courts are considering prosecuting six of Bush's lawyers under international law.

      Will you sign your your name to our letter to the Spanish people?

      March 1 is the deadline set by Spanish Judge Eloy Velasco to determine if he will prosecute the "Bush Six" – the group of Bush-era government lawyers including then-Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, for violating international law by creating a “legal” justification for torture.  It was a court in Spain that indicted Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet.

      The Obama administration declared last year that it would not pursue prosecutions, ignoring the U.N. Convention Against Torture. Recent documents released by WikiLeaks demonstrate that the Obama government has been heavily pressuring Spanish authorities not to pursue prosecution.

      Sign the letter and help us raise funds to place this ad in prominent Spanish papers and billboards.

      GRAPHIC: Ad in Spanish "Prosecute torture."

      On Valentine’s Day, we will deliver this letter to the Spanish public, to Spain's embassy in Washington, and to Spanish consulates in seven U.S. cities, to thank and encourage Spain to prosecute the cases.

      This kind of pressure keeps the wheels of justice turning. Over the weekend, former President George W. Bush cancelled plans to travel to Switzerland after he learned that groups sought indictment of him there for torture. Bush has openly admitted authorizing waterboarding on national television, explaining that “the lawyer” said it was legal.

      The letter in part reads:

      We are writing to thank you and to ask for your support as your courts consider cases to bring American officials to justice for the crime of torture.  A Spanish judge, acting under international law, will soon decide whether to investigate US officials' roles in authorizing torture. We hope you agree that such cases must go forward, despite pressure from the Obama administration to drop them.

      Add your name to our letter to Spain: “Please do what the U.S. won’t do. Prosecute torture.”

      Thank you!

      Aimee, Norman, Sarah
      and the RootsAction Team along with all of our partners

      Partner organizations behind this effort include CodePink Women for Peace, High Road for Human Rights, Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns, National Accountability Action Network, National Campaign for Nonviolent Resistance, Pax Christi USA, Progressive Democrats of America, Psychologists for Social Responsibility, Robert Jackson Steering Committee, RootsAction.org, September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows, Tackling Torture at the Top Committee of Women Against Military Madness, Veterans for Peace, Voters for Peace, War Criminals Watch, WarIsACrime.org, WeThePeopleNow.org, and World Can't Wait.

      Additional signers include: Amnesty International USA, Bill of Rights Defense Committee, Council for the National Interest, Democrats.com, Fellowship on Reconciliation, United for Peace and Justice, Velvet Revolution, Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity, War Resisters League, and Witness Against Torture.

      To stop ALL email from RootsAction, click here to remove yourself from our list.

      empowered by Salsa

      --
      Carl Rising-Moore
      317-222-0201