Action Alert~ Call Senators and say: "No permanent bases & troops out of Iraq!"

  • Timothy Baer
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2006

      UFPJ Legislative Alert
      2 Quick phone calls needed !

      Victory on "No Permanent Bases" is within our reach!
      Feingold introduces amendment to bring the troops home by the end of the year!

      Call your Senators Tuesday, May 2 (even if you called them last week!)

      Senator Richard Lugar:  202-224-4814

      Senator Evan Bayh: 202-224-5623

      Switchboard: 202-224-3121

      Our call-in day to the Senate on the supplemental spending bill (to continue funding the war in Iraq) last week was a great success. Thousands of calls were made asking the Senate to bring the troops home now, and to pass an amendment barring permanent U.S. bases in Iraq.  The Senate did not vote last week on the supplemental spending bill (HR4939), so we have one more opportunity to make our voices heard.  In addition, we have an exciting new development: Sen. Feingold introduced an amendment last Thursday calling for troop withdrawal by the end of the year.  A strong show of support for the Feingold amendment would be politically devastating for the warmongers.

      Our pressure on the Senate must continue if we expect to make headway.  Our prospect for victory on a no permanent bases amendment is tantalizingly close -- but it is not guaranteed!

      Please call your Senators today and urge them to support these amendments to the supplemental spending bill (HR4939):
      Sen. Biden's amendment barring spending in the bill to establish permanent military bases in Iraq or to exercise control over the oil infrastructure or oil resources of Iraq.
      Sen. Feingold's amendment  requiring the redeployment of U.S. forces from Iraq by the end of the year.

      Call your Senators Tuesday (May 2) and urge them to support both these amendments!

      Tell your Senators:
      1. Your name and the local/national organization you represent, and that you are a member of United for Peace and Justice
      2. Support the Feingold amendment to HR4939, which would bring U.S. troops home by the end of the year. (amendment #3680)
      3. Support the Biden amendment to HR4939, which bars spending on permanent bases in Iraq. (amendment #3717)
      4. Vote against HR4939, even if both these amendments are adopted because we insist upon the immediate withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Iraq.  We want the Senate to stop funding this immoral war!

      Background and analysis:

      ============================

      Troop withdrawal by the end of 2006

      ============================

      Sen. Feingold (D-WI) introduced amendment No. 3680 that requires the redeployment of U.S. forces from Iraq by December 31st, 2006, maintaining only a minimal force sufficient for engaging directly in targeted counter-terrorism activities, training Iraqi security forces, and protecting U.S. infrastructure and personnel.

      Although this amendment does not immediately withdraw all U.S. troops completely from Iraq, it is the strongest 'bring the troops home' option we have seen in the Senate.  A strong show of support for this amendment would be politically devestating for the Bush Administration.

      No permanent bases

      Sen. Biden (D-DE) introduced amendment No. 3717 barring spending in the bill to establish permanent military bases in Iraq or to exercise control over the oil infrastructure or oil resources of Iraq.   The Senate Appropriations Committee, in its report on the bill, observed, "It is the current policy of the United States to establish no permanent military bases in Iraq."  To that end, the Committee recommended, "approval of only those requested projects that immediately support operations ongoing in Iraq, rather than those requests which propose a longer term presence." When considering this same bill, the House adopted by voice vote a comparable amendment.   The vote reflected the mood of the American people that it is time to begin winding down the American presence in Iraq and avoid leaving behind a permanent presence.

      --
      Sue Udry
      Legislative Action Coordinator

      1100 Wayne Ave. #1020