RE: [ipjn] Re: Res 3 23, seeks to ensure that Holoc aust survi vors live with digni ty, comfor t and secu rity.‏

  • Wayne McCallister
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 7, 2011

      Hernandez,

                      I think that your problem must be that you are either not a Holocaust Survivor or a Zionist!   Here is the latest about the data on just plain old American citizens who are retired:  ”About 33% of people older than 62 are living on Social Security alone. Social Security says the average monthly payment in 2010 was $1,164. That's $13,968 a year.”

      http://www.walletpop.com/2011/01/07/five-biggest-mistakes-retirees-make/

      Five Biggest Mistakes Retirees Make

      Jennie L. Phipps    Jan 7th 2011 at 11:00AM

      “Anybody who thought retirement was going to be easy is wrong. Living happily in good health with enough money to pay the bills is no slam-dunk in these financially challenging times.

      Here are five critical mistakes that retirees make as they prepare to shut the door on a full-time worklife.

      1. Retiring to Poverty. Unless you crave a job as a greeter at Walmart or you intend to share a single-wide with a couple of other people, working harder and saving more is the only way to salvage your retirement. Most of us are hanging up our work boots without nearly enough money to carry us through until the end. About 33% of people older than 62 are living on Social Security alone. Social Security says the average monthly payment in 2010 was $1,164. That's $13,968 a year. The federal poverty guideline for a single person last year was $10,830. For two people it was $14,500. If you don't have savings, a pension or both, better plan on working until you drop or learning to love an all-kibble diet.”

      The other four Biggest Mistakes Retirees Make is in the article at:  http://www.walletpop.com/2011/01/07/five-biggest-mistakes-retirees-make/

      To: ipjn@yahoogroups.com
      From: rgrherez753@...
      Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 13:31:57 -0800
      Subject: RE: [ipjn] Re: Res 323, seeks to ensure that Holocaust survivors live with dignity, comfort and security.‏

      Is that $21,660.00 annually per capita?  If it is, that's more than my wife and I retired on.  I frankly do not subscribe to the notion that Holocaust survivors are somehow entitled to a higher standard of living than those who have not survived these horrors.  Sure, I favor aging in place, but not if it means the taxpayer having to foot high tax bills for a high end home.  They can downsize just like other Americans.  And even if institutionalization at some point becomes necessary, it hardly compares to the concentration camps.  Anyone who says, or even implies, that it does, needs to also call the institutionalization of Americans generally who could be aging in place with a little help a holocaust as well.

      Reynaldo

      From: jalingle@...
      Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 18:10:38 -0500

      I like the way Palestinians can separate people from their government policies.  They always say, "we love Americans but don't like your government...sometimes, they say they don't like George Bush or Obama". and even while saying, they graciously apologize to us for bashing our government.  So,why can't we do the same?   Otherwise, where is our humanity?

      It should be agreed that all people who have suffered, as those who survived the Holocaust did, should be cared for.  We don't know and cannot assume that any one of them supports or condemns the illegal Israeli military occupation of Palestine or apartheid in Israel.  And, even if they do support Israel, they should still be cared for.

      May we be the ones we were waiting for,
      JoAnne

      From: RITA WAGNER <rita_marvin@...>
      To: ipjn@yahoogroups.com