RE: [ipjn] On the subject of nonviolence

  • Wayne McCallister
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2010

      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8028789/FBI-agents-seek-the-right-to-tap-texts-emails-and-websites.html

      FBI agents seek the right to tap texts, emails and websites

      Also:

      http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2010/09/24-3

      This report from Common Dreams.org

      Published on Friday, September 24, 2010 by the Star-Tribune (Minn.)

      FBI Raids Homes of Several Twin Cities War Protesters

      Search warrants were executed on six addresses in Minneapolis and at two addresses in Chicago in an "investigation into activities concerning the material support of terrorism."

      by Randy Furst and Abby Simons

      And:

      http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00002339---A000-.html

      TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 113B > § 2339A

      Prev | Next

      § 2339A. Providing material support to terrorists

      http://www.investigativeproject.org/2019/supreme-court-upholds-material-support-law

      Supreme Court Upholds Material Support Law

      by Stephen I. Landman
      IPT News
      June 21, 2010

      To: ipjn@yahoogroups.com
      From: carlrisingmoore@...
      Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 19:46:27 -0400
      Subject: Re: [ipjn] On the subject of nonviolence

      Happy Birthday my trouble making friend Dave,

      It is time to begin some serious training in the history, practice, (role playing), community building with those that are willing to participate and support those that are prepared to do some time in jail to make a point.

      We are well on the road to a totalitarian society that seemingly will stop at nothing to continue on this part  of world domination....(another coup is now underway in Ecuador), which follows last years coup in Honduras).

      We have no civil liberties left.  The FBI has all the documentation it needs to do whatever it deems necessary to stamp down protest, (called the Patriot Act), which passed through the "People's House" without any serious debate.

      All we have left is the 1st Amendment, and if we don't use it, we will loose it.

      Dr. MLK's comments that the war in Vietnam is a symptom of a far greater malady is as true today as it was during his time.  His warning has fallen on deaf ears on an American People that have lost the courage to stand up for peace and justice.

      He did not suggest we go to jail to make headlines.  Dr. King said it was our duty to stand up for for what is right and just.

      As I see it, the problem is that there are very few people in America that have the guts of Kathy Kelly or Col. Ann Wright or the thousands that question the authority of the USA to train assassins to overthrow democratically elected governments to replace those popular leaders with Uncle Sam Puppets.

      I will march, demonstrate, petition, write letters, books, etc, but in the end, it is following in the footsteps of Gandhi, King, Chavez and all the other brave people that offer us a chance to save our Republic and end Pax Americana.

      Satyagraha, (nonviolent civil disobedience),  is the Weapon of the Brave.... Gandhi

      Peace IN,
      Carl

      On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Nick Egnatz <nickatlakehills@...> wrote:

      The link below will get you to The Progressive Dilemma which deals with my take on the situation.
      Certainly nonviolent direct action is needed.  I have the greatest respect for those that choose this route.  It is easier for some than others, as far as monetary and family situations.  I've not been arrested, although three different times I chose protest which invited arrest but the authorities declined.

      Almost all nonviolent direct action is completely ignored by our media.  I have found that letters to the editor and standing on a street corner with a megaphone talking about what is wrong with an unequal economic system and criminal foreign policy etc. is effective.  Certainly this doesn't bring about change, but it is the first step of education for those that read or hear your message.  For others to repeat it provides reinforcement.
      http://warisacrime.org/content/progressive-dilemma
      Nick Egnatz, Munster, IN

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2010
        Hello Nick,

        Thank you for your article--for all the info, research, and deductions leading from the research.  You summarize so well, and your political observations are right on.  However, at this point, I cannot give up short-term victories, short-term consequences by working to elect the more just candidate for a long-term, possible outcome by boycotting elections.

        Your article is outstanding in pointing out what needs to be done and I agree about 101%; however, How do we do it?

        I have floated a few ideas toward Indiana organization, with little to zero response.  I joined the Green Party in 1991; however, the local chapter was absorbed by our peace group with the advent of the Iraq bombing and occupation and has not functioned since.  I hear nothing from the Indiana Green Party -- is it still alive?

        To bring about 10% of your suggestions, we need to organize now and hope to effect change in twenty-five years, I believe.  A small group of us meet here in Evansville with the goal of establishing a government of the people, for the people, and by the people, and we call ourselves the "2035 group."

        Shalom,

        Clark Gabriel Field
        Evansville