Re: [ipjn] Kathy Kelly Aug 29

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2010
      Thanks Lori and Ray

      dave

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 10:44 AM
      Subject: RE: [ipjn] Kathy Kelly Aug 29

      Glad to hear that the event is still on, and glad you put the reminder out there Dave. I have forwarded to Fran Quigley (bcc'd here) in the hopes that he will send us an update that we can use to spread to our local/personal networks and help cultivate some buzz. How 'bout it Fran?
      Thanks!
      Lori

      "When you put your hand to the plow, you can't put it down until you get to the end of the row."

      ~Alice Paul, Suffragist and Author of the Equal Rights Amendment

      To: ipjn@yahoogroups.com
      From: rgrherez@...
      Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 07:37:40 -0700

      Dave,

      The Pax Christi site confirms this information.  It appears she will deliver the keynote, but a time is not specified.

      Reynaldo

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 16, 2010
        Dave:

        If you attend, would you consider taping the evnt for "PeaceWorks"? We
        should have the Ft. Ben tape available to the "public" this week.
        Thanks,

        Jack
        Quoting Dave <dl2001@...>:

        > Thanks Lori and Ray
        >
        > dave

      • Quigley, Fran
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 16, 2010

          Dear Lori, et al.

          Thanks for asking and for being willing to spread the word: Yes, Kathy is still coming and the information, including time, location, follow-up meeting, etc. on the Pax Christi website is still accurate. I’ll paste in below the notice so you can forward as widely as you like.

          Thanks again, and see you soon-hopefully on the 29th!

          Fran

          Pax Christi Indianapolis Group Launches With Visit by International Peace Activist

          Indianapolis-area advocates for peace and justice will launch a new local community of Pax Christi with a special presentation by renowned peace activist Kathy Kelly at Marian University’s Library Auditorium on Sunday, August 29th at 7PM.

          The co-coordinator for Voices for Creative Nonviolence, (www.vcnv.org) a campaign to end U.S. military and economic warfare, Kathy Kelly has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize three times.

          As a founder of Voices in the Wilderness, Kelly defied economic sanctions by bringing medicines to children and families in Iraq, and personally remained in combat zones at the start of both U.S.-Iraq wars. More recently, she has visited Gaza, Pakistan, and Afghanistan, writing eyewitness accounts of war’s impact on civilians.

          As a price of her commitment to nonviolence, Kelly has gone to prison multiple times for actions including planting corn on nuclear missile silo sites and for crossing the line at Fort Benning’s military training school.

          Pax Christi is the Catholic peace organization striving to create a world that reflects the Peace of Christ. Pax Christi rejects war and violence and advocates for economic and social justice. Pax Christi USA groups have take a variety of actions such as opposing executions, advocating for the end of torture, and supporting immigrant and workers’ rights.

          The new Indianapolis community of Pax Christi will hold its first organizing meeting precisely two weeks after Kathy Kelly’s talk. All are invited to attend this meeting, set for Sunday, September 12th at 7PM, also at Marian University. At this meeting, reflection will be followed by setting goals and making plans for local action to promote peace and justice.

          After Kathy Kelly’s presentation on August 29th, a free-will offering will be collected to support Voices for Creative Nonviolence. For more information about the event or the new Pax Christi community forming in the Indianapolis area, contact Fran Quigley at (317) 750-4891 or franquigley@....