Empire, Resistance, and the War in Iraq: Conf. for Historians and Activists

  • greg buck
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2006
      Invitation found in Heterodox Economics Newsletter.
      http://l.web.umkc.edu/leefs/htn22.htm#Conferences,_Seminars_and_Lectures#Conferences,_Seminars_and_Lectures

      Empire, Resistance, and the War in Iraq

      A Conference for Historians and Activists University of Texas, Austin
      February 17-19, 2006

      http://www.historiansagainstwar.org/hawconf/

      We invite you to attend the first scholarly conference in the U.S. to
      examine the origins of and opposition to the war in Iraq in historical
      perspective. Speakers will examine the history of resistance to U.S. empire,
      the history of international peace and justice movements, the relation of
      gender to imperialism and war, and the defense of civil liberties and
      democratic institutions in wartime. In addition, speakers will discuss the
      Iraq war in long-term historical context.
      We encourage audience participation, and each session includes questions,
      answers, and discussion.

      On Sunday a diverse panel will present their thoughts on what historians and
      activists can learn from each other. Following their presentations, we will
      have an open discussion on what we as historians and activists can do on our
      campuses, in our communities, and in this country to contribute to and build
      anti-war consciousness and activity.

      Click here for detailed schedule.
      <http://www.historiansagainstwar.org/hawconf/schedule.html>
      The conference is in the Thompson Conference Center with the exception of
      the Friday night keynote, which is in the LBJ Auditorium in Sid Richardson
      Hall.

      Registration for the Historians Against War Conference

      Early registration before February 1 is $40 (or $25 for students or
      low-income/unemployed), payable either on- line through PayPal (easiest for
      us) or by check. On- site registration is $45 (or $30 for students or low-
      income-unemployed). Registration includes admission to the entire
      conference, including the Friday and Saturday night plenaries, and all the
      panels. It also includes a coffee break, lunch, and afternoon cookies on
      Saturday.

      To register online, go to:
      http://www.historiansagainstwar.org/hawconf/

      Lodging

      This hotel is holding a block of rooms, and is located about three blocks
      from the conference center.

      Rodeway Inn
      2900 N I H 35
      Austin, TX 78705
      (512) 477-6395
      $69.95 per night

      Historians Against the War is a network of history teachers, scholars, and
      activists seeking to bring historical analysis to bear on U.S. foreign
      policy and its social/political impact. To find out more, visit the HAW
      website at www.historiansagainstwar.org

      Greg Buck
      Director
      Campaign for Sustainable Economics
      Indianapolis, IN USA

      Please endorse this Position on Economic Growth
      www.steadystate.org/PositiononEG.html

      Speakers www.steadystate.org/CASSE-Speakers/Speakers.html

      The GDP ignores the value of ecosystem services & quality of life, & counts
      bads as goods, making the Genuine Progress Indicator preferable
      www.redefiningprogress.org/newprojects/gpi/index.shtml

      More significantly, account for sharing the finite planet that has finite
      access to solar energy www.myfootprint.org

      Why ecological economics?
      http://www.uvm.edu/giee/SNR_seminar/Readings/Costanza_2001_Bioscience.pdf

      Peak Oil is not the 800 lb. gorilla. It's economic growth
      http://steadystate.org/Letters/LetterPeakOilEditorial.html

      Urban design for quality living within a smaller scale
      www.ecocitybuilders.org