FW: PUBLIC TESTIMONY ON HB 1008, WEDNESDAY at 9:30 AM, House Ways and Means Committee

  • greg buck
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2006
      From: "Tim Maloney" <tmaloney@...>
      Subject: PUBLIC TESTIMONY ON HB 1008, WEDNESDAY at 9:30 AM, House Ways and
      Means Committee
      Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:40:39 -0500

      Here are the details about tomorrow's hearing -- I'll be sending a recap of
      today's hearing shortly.

      Please spread the word.

      The House Ways and Means Committee will be taking public testimony for and
      against HB 1008.

      When: Wednesday, January 18, 2006, 9:30 am

      Where: Indiana Statehouse, Room 404

      This is an opportunity for everyone concerned about I-69, and privatization
      of highways in general, to voice your opinion.

      The bill authorizes the State of Indiana to enter into public-private
      agreements to build, operate and maintain toll roads and virtually any other
      transportation facility such as airports, water ports and transit
      facilities.

      The bill would authorize the Indiana Finance Authority:

      . to lease the northern Indiana Toll Road to a private company, and
      use the lease payment(s) to pay for building new roads anywhere in Indiana
      including the I-69 highway from Indianapolis to Evansville (a specified
      percentage of the revenue would go to northern Indiana counties along the
      toll road).

      . to contract with a private company to build and operate I-69 as a
      toll road.

      Greg Buck
      Director
      Campaign for Sustainable Economics
      Indianapolis, IN USA

      Please endorse this Position on Economic Growth
      www.steadystate.org/PositiononEG.html

      Speakers www.steadystate.org/CASSE-Speakers/Speakers.html

      The GDP ignores the value of ecosystem services & quality of life, & counts
      bads as goods, making the Genuine Progress Indicator preferable
      www.redefiningprogress.org/newprojects/gpi/index.shtml

      More significantly, account for sharing the finite planet that has finite
      access to solar energy www.myfootprint.org

      Why ecological economics?
      http://www.uvm.edu/giee/SNR_seminar/Readings/Costanza_2001_Bioscience.pdf

      Peak Oil is not the 800 lb. gorilla. It's economic growth
      http://steadystate.org/Letters/LetterPeakOilEditorial.html

      Urban design for quality living within a smaller scale
      www.ecocitybuilders.org