February 2010 Peace Events ~ Bloomington, IN

  • Timothy Baer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2010
      February 2010 Peace Events ~ Bloomington, Indiana

      All the following events are organized by Bloomington Peace Action Coalition (BPAC) except the Feb. 11th "Pakistan Update" event.
      http://www.BPAC.info/

      Please join us at one or more of this month's events, and get involved in the work for Peace. Thank you!
      ____________________________________

      “Peace for Afghanistan and Iraq! Bring the Troops Home Now!”
      Demonstration on the Courthouse Square

      Wednesdays, February 3 & 17, 2010

      (1st and 3rd Wednesdays of every month)

      5:00 to 6:00 p.m.

      Monroe County Courthouse Square
      Intersection of Walnut Street and Kirkwood Avenue
      Bloomington, Indiana

      Please join us at the Courthouse Square to call for “Peace for Afghanistan and Iraq!” and an end to the U.S. military occupations there.
      ____________________________________

      "WHY WE FIGHT"
      Film Showing

      Wednesday, February 3, 2010
      7:00 p.m.

      Monroe Co. Public Library Auditorium
      303 E. Kirkwood Avenue
      Bloomington, Indiana

      The Real War film series presents the Bloomington screening of “WHY WE FIGHT” by film-maker Eugene Jarecki.

      "Why We Fight," winner of the Grand Jury Prize at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival, takes a look at the anatomy of the U.S. war machine. The film is an inquiry into the workings of the “millitary-industrial complex,” a phrase coined in President Eisenhower's 1961 farewell speech.

      "Why We Fight" surveys a half century of U.S. military conflicts, asking how our nation has become part of a system the survival of which depends on endless war-making.

      The film moves beyond the headlines to answer the question, "What are the forces — political, economic, ideological — that drive our country to fight against ever-changing enemies?"

      "Why We Fight" weaves personal stories, commentary, and analysis, and includes insights from military veterans, Gore Vidal, and Senator John McCain, among others.

      Following the film showing, there will be time for a brief discussion.

      The Real War film showings are all free.
      _________________________________

      "Pakistan Update" Talk

      Thursday, February 11, 2010
      7:00 p.m.

      Monroe County Public Library, Room 2-B
      303 E. Kirkwood Avenue
      Bloomington, Indiana

      Rafia Zakaria, an I.U. graduate student and a native of Pakistan, will speak on the topic of Pakistan. Free and open to the public.
      _________________________________

      ... and looking ahead ...

      On the Seventh Anniversary of the U.S. Invasion of Iraq …
      Join us for a massive Peace Mobilization in Washington to demonstrate the will of the people:

      End U.S. Wars and Military Occupations!
      Bring All the Troops Home Now!
      Peace for Afghanistan, Iraq, and Palestine!

      Peace March in Washington, D.C.
      Saturday, March 20, 2010

      See: http://www.March20.org

      Bloomington Peace Action Coalition has chartered a 55-passenger motor coach to D.C.!

      Don't miss this opportunity to be a part of this historic National March and Rally in Washington, D.C. as we join with tens of thousands of people from across the country in repudiating the destructive foreign policies of the United States, and call for Peace and Justice for Afghanistan and the Middle East.

      Board the bus in Louisville, Columbus, Bloomington, or Indianapolis!

      • The bus will leave Louisville, KY at 6:30 pm on Friday, March 19.
      • Pick-ups in Columbus, IN (8:00 p.m.), Bloomington, IN (9:00 p.m.) and Indianapolis (10:30 p.m.) will follow.
      • Convenient pick-up locations in Louisville, Columbus, Bloomington, or Indianapolis will be determined soon.
      • The bus will be leaving Washington, D.C. at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 20.
      • Round-trip bus fare is $100 per person
      (For a 15% discount, see below).

      HOW TO GET ON THE KY/IN BUS TO WASHINGTON, D.C.

      TO RESERVE A SEAT
      :
      • E-mail: timothybaer2003@...  or  Call: 812-988-1917
      • Provide us with your name, phone number, e-mail address, and city.
      • We will call you back or e-mail you to confirm that a seat has been reserved.

      MAIL IN YOUR CHECK:
      After you have received confirmation that a seat on the bus is reserved for you, Please promptly mail a CHECK to:

      Bloomington Peace Action Coalition
      c/o Timothy Baer
      P.O. Box  671
      Nashville, Indiana 47448

      Make your check out to “Timothy Baer

      15% DISCOUNT ~ LIMITED TIME OFFER
      Because we have to pay for the bus in full a few weeks in advance of the trip, we encourage everyone to make reservations and send in their checks by February 15. There will be an “early bird” 15% discount for those who send us their check by February 15.
      Early Bird Fare is: $85

      SPONSOR SOMEONE!
      If you cannot go with us to Washington, D.C. yourself, please consider sponsoring another person's seat on the bus!

      Typically, there are several people who do not have sufficient funds, but, who very much want to travel with us and participate in D.C.

      Your help is greatly needed and appreciated in contributing whatever amount you can to help fund a full bus to D.C.

      Thank you!

      * * *

      Timothy Baer
      Organizer, Bloomington Peace Action Coalition
      http://www.BPAC.info

      timothybaer2003@...
      (812) 988-1917