Re: [ipjn] YOUR FEEDBACK NEEDED: Proposal for Iraq Anniversary Action

  • Sheila Rosenthal
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 20, 2010
      Erin,
      My suggestion was for a meeting to take place in Indianapolis in early February
       for brainstorming about the Summit. I thought that was what Phil agreed to arrange.
      Sheila

      On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Erin Polley <Epolley@...> wrote:

      IPJN January Conference Call Notes and Proposal for Action
      Jan. 19, 2010

      On the call: Erin P. (AFSC), Lori P. (CODEPINK), Phill Greene (SDS-IUPUI), Sheila & Frank R. (LAPC), Sean (Network4Peace admin), David R. (LAPC, Purdue)

      Midwest Peace and Justice Summit Update

      * Phill Greene let us know that the summit is scheduled for Sat, March 27 at IUPUI
      * working on getting Ralph Nader, Amy Goodman or The Yes Men as the keynote-IUPUI most likely will be providing funding for these big names and the advertising for their speaking events will reach far wider than the usual Summit folk
      * people were in agreement that IPJN should have a time during the day to meet for business and to have a discussion about statewide coordinated efforts
      * Phill will be organizing a call the week of Feb 1 with any folks who would like to propose workshops or sessions or would like to provide input on the Summit

      Update on Network 4 Peace

      * people have been posting events in the calendar
      * Erin, Lori and Sheila will be calling the member organizations to invite them to the Summit, remind them of our conference calls and ask them to participate in Iraq anniversary action
      * Sean is calling peace and justice groups who are not on our list of member orgs.
      *

      Proposal for Iraq Anniversary action

      * Erin, Sheila and Lori met to discuss possible action ideas for a pre-Summit (Friday, March 26) event to mark the 8th anniversary of the Iraq war
      * they came up with the idea to have a Die-in at Monument Circle with 50+ bodies, covered in white sheets to represent the U.S. Military and Iraqi civilian casualties
      * those who choose not to "die" could be support people-holding signs, passing out leaflets and reading names of U.S. Soldiers and civilians over a PA
      * Erin has already submitted an application for a permit for Monument Circle for that date
      * Proposed times for event: 5pm gather, 5:30pm "die-in" and reading of names, 6:15pm people rise
      * the idea for this event was born out of the feeling that we should be bringing our message to the people and making a public and creative statement against war
      * this idea might be attractive to students and church groups-going beyond our usual "choir"
      * WE WOULD LIKE YOUR FEEDBACK: Do you think this is a good idea? Would you be able to bring people from your town to participate?

    • Timothy Baer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 20, 2010
        I think the March 26th Die-In is a great idea!
        I will heavily publicize the event once the plans are finalized.

        I was immensely disappointed that there were only two of us from the Bloomington area at the Oct. 17th Rally/ March in Indianapolis.

        I can only promote the events and encourage people to get involved ... I can't make people participate. I think all of the faithful IPJN folks are feeling this frustration.

        I am organizing a bus for the March 20th Peace March in Washington, D.C.
        http://www.march20.org/

        I'll have an announcement later this week.

        Peace and blessings,
        Timothy Baer

        Organizer, Bloomington Peace Action Coalition
        http://www.BPAC.info
        Campaign Coordinator, The Declaration of Peace
        http://declarationofpeace.org
        (812) 988-1917

        Let Iraq Live!

        To: ipjn@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 22, 2010
          Is everyone aware that Drones that bomb Afghanistan are operated from Terre Haute?
          There are a couple of other places too, but Terre Haute is one of them.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 23, 2010

            Also at West Lafayette called Lite Machines, which makes a mini-drone called the Voyeur: http://www.litemachines.com/mil/mil_main.htm    (See, also, http://www.nerdbeach.com/post/Navy-Develops-Helicopter-Mini-Drone-Voyeur.aspx