Re: Petcock rebuilding for dummies

  • goldwingman40
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010
      Doug,
      Someone nay have put a vent hose on it and ranit down to the bottom of the bike trying to vent fumes they thought were from a leaking valve or to have any gas leakage piped out under the bike insteat of up in the engine area.
      Fred

      --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "douglasvanb" <douglas.vanbossuyt@...> wrote:

      > Any idea why it would look like there was a nipple on it in the past? The bike is a 49 state model.
      >
      > Cheers!
      >
      > Douglas
      >
      > --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "goldwingman40" <goldwingman@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Doug,
      > > Nothing should be over that outlet. It is vented to atmosphere to allow the vacuum side to move and open the fuel side. It is also venting if the gas diaphragm leaks it drips out that nipple.
      > > Fred
      > >

      > > --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "douglasvanb" <douglas.vanbossuyt@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Last night I rebuilt the fuel petcock on my PC. Details of the procedure are here for the curious: http://www.douglasvanbossuyt.com/2010/11/03/rebuilding-the-fuel-petcock-on-a-honda-pacific-coast/
      > > >
      > > > The one thing from the whole procedure that I have a question about: should there be a vacuum plug/cover/nipple on the hose barb/nipple that comes out from the diaphragm assembly (middle part of the petcock "sandwich")? The photos on the webpage should provide some more detail of what I'm talking about.
      > > >
      > > > I searched through the manual and microfiche but didn't find anything to prove one way or the other to me that there should be a vacuum plug on that hose barb. Looking at the old one, to me it seems obvious that there was one that disintegrated at some point in the past. What do all of you intelligent, good-looking PCers think?
      > > >
      > > > Cheers!
      > > >
      > > > Douglas

    • Dick MacInnes
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010
        On further thought; the nipple was used on the CA models to "vent" unwanted
        emission gases to the emission control canister, etc. Is left open on the 49
        state models or could have a tube open to atmosphere and hanging down? My
        Nighthawk has a similar set-up. My former '89 and current '94 both had 49
        state carbs and no tube.

        Dick MacInnes
      • douglasvanb
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 5, 2010
          Fred,

          Thanks for the info! I pulled the vacuum cap off and tried to go for a ride only to find some bad fuel starvation issues (only idle at 1000 rpm at full choke and can't accelerate). Haven't had time to open up the petcock yet to see if something got sucked into it. Hopefully it's just some junk preventing the petcock from opening fully. Otherwise it might be time to switch to a brass T.

          I updated the post on my website to remove the step about putting the vacuum cap on that vent.

          Cheers,

          Douglas

          --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "goldwingman40" <goldwingman@...> wrote:

          > Doug,
          > Someone nay have put a vent hose on it and ranit down to the bottom of the bike trying to vent fumes they thought were from a leaking valve or to have any gas leakage piped out under the bike insteat of up in the engine area.
          > Fred
          >

          > --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "douglasvanb" <douglas.vanbossuyt@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Any idea why it would look like there was a nipple on it in the past? The bike is a 49 state model.
          > >
          > > Cheers!
          > >
          > > Douglas
          > >
          > > --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "goldwingman40" <goldwingman@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Doug,
          > > > Nothing should be over that outlet. It is vented to atmosphere to allow the vacuum side to move and open the fuel side. It is also venting if the gas diaphragm leaks it drips out that nipple.
          > > > Fred

        • pc800dork
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 5, 2010
            Doug -

            Don't worry. If you have to go with the Tee, I have a plentiful supply of "Brass Tee rebuild kits" that I will sell at a discount to any PC800 owner who has a problem with theirs...

            :-)

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 5, 2010
              Dork,

              You're so kind! Do I just need to send my bank account info to someone in Nigeria? :-)

              Cheers,

              Douglas

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 5, 2010
                Douglas,
                Did you rebuild the valve? It sounds like the vacuum side is leaking and thus not opening the valve all the way. You have to be careful when you rebuild the valve to get the bead on the diaphragm in the grove when you assemble it.
                Fred

                --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "douglasvanb" <douglas.vanbossuyt@...> wrote:

                > Fred,
                >
                > Thanks for the info! I pulled the vacuum cap off and tried to go for a ride only to find some bad fuel starvation issues (only idle at 1000 rpm at full choke and can't accelerate). Haven't had time to open up the petcock yet to see if something got sucked into it. Hopefully it's just some junk preventing the petcock from opening fully. Otherwise it might be time to switch to a brass T.
                >
                > I updated the post on my website to remove the step about putting the vacuum cap on that vent.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Douglas
                >
                > --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "goldwingman40" <goldwingman@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Doug,
                > > Someone nay have put a vent hose on it and ranit down to the bottom of the bike trying to vent fumes they thought were from a leaking valve or to have any gas leakage piped out under the bike insteat of up in the engine area.
                > > Fred
                > >

                > > --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "douglasvanb" <douglas.vanbossuyt@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Any idea why it would look like there was a nipple on it in the past? The bike is a 49 state model.
                > > >
                > > > Cheers!
                > > >
                > > > Douglas

              • pc800va
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2010
                  I have a question for you petcock rebuilders/replacers or brass T users:

                  For those who were trying to correct a fuel smell problem, did it work? And before the fix could you see fuel leaking from the petcock area?
                  Thanks!
                • Dan G
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 6, 2010
                    Yes and no.

                    --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "pc800va" <pc800va@...> wrote:

                    > I have a question for you petcock rebuilders/replacers or brass T users:
                    >
                    > For those who were trying to correct a fuel smell problem, did it work? And before the fix could you see fuel leaking from the petcock area?
                    > Thanks!

                  • Gib
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 6, 2010
                      No and yes. I repaired the petcock on my first bike and a year or so later it started dripping again. As soon as I smelled the stink on bikes two and three I went with the T. I still have a occasional stink after going with Ts. The cause could be a number of things. My bikes always ran good and still got good mileage so I just ignore it. Its no biggie to me. Things like tire pressure, buffeting and oil viscosity are much more important.

                      --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "pc800va" <pc800va@...> wrote:

                      > I have a question for you petcock rebuilders/replacers or brass T users:
                      >
                      > For those who were trying to correct a fuel smell problem, did it work? And before the fix could you see fuel leaking from the petcock area?
                      > Thanks!

                    • Leland C. Sheppard
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 7, 2010
                        Hi,

                        > I have a question for you petcock rebuilders/replacer
                        > s or brass T users:
                        >
                        > For those who were trying to correct a fuel smell problem, did it
                        > work? And before the fix could you see fuel leaking from the petcock area?
                        > Thanks!

                        I've had both situations. One where I could see fuel leaking and 2
                        where I couldn't.

                        The one with the fuel leaking required a rebuild; there was a pin hole
                        in the diaphragm.

                        The other two just required tightening the screws and, FYI, that was
                        years ago (5 or more) and I haven't had a problem with them since then.

                        Leland

                        --
                        Leland Sheppard
                        Placerville, California, USA

                        ...Life is good on the Pacific Coast...

                        '94 Pacific Coast, "Black Beauty", 211,500 miles
                        '89 Pacific Coast, "Shadow Dancer", 123,200 miles
                        '90 Pacific Coast, "Red Baron", 108,850 miles
                        '96 Pacific Coast/SuperSport sidecar, "Handsome Hannigan", 31,275 miles
                        '02 Ural Patrol, "Boris Blueanov", 15,282 kilometers
                        '89 GB500, "Little Bugger", 13,875 miles
                        '02 GL1800, "Copper", 59,200, '07 Aspen Classic, "Copper's Camper", 2,011 miles
                        iPCRC #72; IBA #10582; AMA #481368

                        Mother of all PC800 Web Site Lists: http://www.pc800links.net

                      • douglasvanb
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 8, 2010
                          Fred,

                          I rebuilt the valve. I reexamined my work and all seems correct. Another odd thing... without adjusting anything, two days after the bike decided it wouldn't be going anywhere, fuel delivery started working fine again. As a preventative measure, I bought a brass T and have it stored in my trunk. If I have trouble while I'm out on the road, I have the part and the tools ready to go to swap out the petcock for the T. Hopefully that'll keep the petcock in line!