Time to re-tire

  • Tony Pisacano
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 24, 2017
      I installed Metzler 880s last time around because I'm getting old & lazy and don't relish the thought of changing tires any sooner than I have to. I knew they weren't the grippiest tires available, but had no idea they'd be as bad as they are. After slipping & sliding on these tires, traction has become my new priority.  The front actually slid out on me a couple of times. Luckily, I caught it both times, but no sense pushing my luck.  Any suggestions will be welcome.

      I'm no squid, but neither do I ride like the old guy that I am. I know the subject of tires has been kicked around in the past, but I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know how to search the archives.

      Happy Holidays to all.

      Tony
    • cbschumpert@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 25, 2017
         Michelin Commander 2 tires on my PC, 140/90/15 rear,130/80/17 front. So
         No issues on rubbing, and like the feel. Have done mountain rides, 2 up/1up
        interstate, and various touring. Aprox. 20k on rear tire at change, have 26k on front and still running. Good mileage and stick'em is nice also.
      • Dave Warren
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 26, 2017
          I concur.

          I changed from Metzler ME880s to Michelin Commander II's, likewise 130/80/17 up front &140/90/15 out back rear. No issues with fitment at all. Was like chalk & cheese when riding. Vast improvement. Mileage looking much improved, & no more nervous moments, even in the wet. No eveidence of the cupping issues as found by many with the ME880s.

          I also have the VT1100 bevel drive fitted & the old girl loves the combination. She still pulls like a train in top.
          Also fitted is Australian "McCruise" Control which I installed myself relatively easily. It's a marriage made in heaven. (www.mccruise.com)

          The product is excellent, but it's the service that is 2nd to none. ANY questions , same day response. It's the 3rd kit I've fitted tovarious bikes (FJ1300; R1150RT; PC800), & every single one worked exactly as designed from the get-go.

          Just sayin' & sharin'.

          Cheers all.
          Dave Warren
          New Zealand.
        • revconprince
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 26, 2017
            Avon Road Rider for the front. It gives a very high level of confidence of sticking to the road and wears like iron - two things that normally should not go together. only complaint is that it has a very tiny buzz at slower speeds, like under 40 mph. the buzz goes away at higher speeds or as soon as the bike leans. I'll tolerate that for the traction it gives. I've lifted the rear wheel in a panic stop. (and yes my weight was low in the seat)
          • Leland Sheppard
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 28, 2017
              HI Tony,

              If it is grip you are looking for the stock Dunlop K555s will give it to
              you.

              I won't use anything else on my PCs.  I'm aggressive in the corners and
              count on the terrific traction I get from the Dunlops.  Wet or dry.

              I buy mine from Dennis Kirk.  They cost me about $220 for a set and last
              from 8 to 10 thousand miles for me.

              Oh, and Dennis Kirk ships pretty fresh tires too.  I think the oldest
              I've gotten from them was about 1.5 years and I go through them fast
              enough that I will wear those tires out before they get too old.

              My two cents...

              Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

              Leland

              PS  I turned 79 last month; I don't ride like an old guy either! :-)

              --
              Leland Sheppard
              Placerville, California, USA

              ...Life is good on the Pacific Coast...

              '96 Pacific Coast, "Last Chance", 61,630 miles
              '89 Pacific Coast, "Wind Walker", 90,110 miles
              '89 Pacific Coast, "Fancy Pants", 41,527 miles
              '96 Pacific Coast, "Hawaiian Sunset", 110,356 miles
              '89 Pacific Coast, "Shadow Dancer", 177,422 miles
              '94 Pacific Coast, "Black Beauty", 211,520 miles - semi-retired
              '90 Pacific Coast, "Red Baron", 128,072 miles - semi-retired
              '02 GL1800, "Copper", 84,320, '07 Aspen Classic, "Copper's Camper", 3,207 miles
              iPCRC #72; IBA #10582; AMA #481368

              Mother of all PC800 Web Site Lists: http://www.pc800links.net