Preparing for winter storage

  • twothreeclave
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 26

      Hi,

      Is adding Sta-Bil to a full gas tank sufficient to ensure good starting after winter storage, or do I need to pull off layers of Tupperware and drain the carburetor float bowls, too?

      Over the years, I've followed these steps to prepare Jetson, my '98 PC, for the cold months:

      * Put the bike on its center stand and raise the front wheel off the ground with my homemade fork stand.

      *Clean and polish it, adding oil or grease to moving parts as needed.

      * Change oil and filter.

      * Connect a Battery Tender.

      * Fill the tank with gas and the recommended amount of Sta-Bil Storage fuel preservative.

      * Run the engine for 10 minutes to circulate the gas/Sta-Bil mixture through the carbs.

      * Pull the cover over the bike and walk away.

      I've done this for years with good success - and fairly easy starts when warm weather returned. But last year my Honda mechanic, who was tackling other repairs in the spring, said he needed to use a pair of carb kits before the engine would run correctly. I'm sure he would recommend that I actually drain the float bowls. I've done an online search about this and found differences of opinion; some owners always drain, some never do, and there are interesting arguments supporting each choice (the most interesting anti-draining argument was that some drained carbs leaked after storage because gaskets had dried out).

      I know it isn't all THAT hard to get the plastic off, but I'd rather avoid the chore if I can. So what would you do? Thanks for your thoughts!

      Jim Quinn

    • unlikelyloginname
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 26
        Jim,

        If you open the trunk and look on the left side ahead of the trunk there is a metal bracket with the Fuel Cut-off Relay mounted on it.  (Ref. Service Manual page 18-24, top image. http://www.pc800shopmanual.org/PC800SMPage18-24.html) After the engine has been running (to ensure both float bowls are full of petrol + Sta-Bil) I remove the connector from the Fuel Cut-off Relay.  The engine will continue running until bowls run dry.

        Tip: Remember to reconnect the relay before taking you PC to a mechanic at the beginning of the next season.  ;-)  Unless you just want to spin the engine to circulate the oil.  In that case, leave a tag on the bike and/or key with a reminder inscribed thereon.  ("Replace Before Flight")

        Seth
      • John P

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 27
            Living in Texas I am blessed with rideable weather year around.  In fact now thru March is better riding weather than during the HOT summer.  Since I don't get out as often as I would like I make a practice of adding Stabil to my fuel tank at each fillup year round.  I also add Techron periodically and usually use Texaco gas with Techron in it.

            As to winter storage, when I used to live in Cleveland Ohio & had to put the bike up for the winter I would perform all the maintenance task you suggested then add fresh gas with Stabil.  Make sure to run the engine to get the Stabil into the float bowls.  Seemed to provide good results.  Upon spring startup I suggest a good dose of Techron.

            Back in the 70's (when gas was pure) I would drain the carbs on my CB750, this was the common idea at the time.  Today I worry about things drying out inside the carbs if they are drained resulting in more carb problems come springtime.   Another thing to consider is "fogging" the cylinders with oil, again requires panel removal to get at the plugs.

            Houston Dan
          • twothreeclave
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 27
              Seth, many thanks! I'll do exactly that! It will save lots of un-Tupperware-ing.

              Jim Quinn
            • twothreeclave
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 27
                Thanks! On my old Rickman Triumph, I used to pull the air cleaners and just squirt oil into the carburetors while the motor ran, producing a cloud of oily smoke that did a nice job of keeping the mufflers rust-free during the winter. Not so easy on the PC!

                Jim Quinn
              • revconprince
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 27
                  Living near Chicago, I am blessed with rideable weather year around.  In fact March is better riding weather than during the HOT summer.

                  Dave
                • wbpc800
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 27
                    For the past 5 or 5 years I have taken a different route.  All I do is at the end of the season run the bike as near empty as possible and then fill it with alcohol free gas.  I don't even put Stabil in it anymore. I throw the battery tender on it for a time during the winter.  Depending on the season about 5 months later I pull the choke and start it up.  So far the bike has started almost instantly. Much better than it does if it has sat a week or two in the summer with normal 10% ethanol fuel in it.

                    Am hoping for the same result this year although I am a bit concerned because on the last riding day I was only able to put 3.8 gal of the good stuff in.  Usually I am at 4+ gal and for a couple of years I ran another tank of the alcohol free stuff before the final tank.

                    I would like to do winter riding. Unfortunately we use too much salt up here and I just don't want to get that on my bike.  I wait until we have a good rain to wash the roads off before it goes out again. Wish I had the space and would have kept my silverwing for winter / early spring riding.

                    Wade
                  • Rudolph Dehoogh
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 28
                      I take out the old oil and put in fresh.
                      Fill up the tank, add stable and run through carbs. Occasionally hook up the charger and 4 months later turn the key and go for a ride.

                      Rudy    LI  Ny

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 28
                        Gotta agree with Dave I ride year round (or try to) here in Colorado until we get snowy/icy/sandy roads - last season we road several days in late Jan and Feb - last weekend was in the mid 70's and beautifully dry - maybe its "global warming"?? But I love it!! I do add the Stabilt every fill up this time of year and use my "BatteryTender" as your not sure if it'll be few days or a few weeks til the next run....

                        Bill - Colorado
                      • revconprince
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 4 5:40 AM
                          I have an AGM battery, and ride often enough to not need to charge it. It has always started right up. The only thing that keeps me off the roads is salt. Once the salt goes down, then I don't ride unless there has been some rain to wash it away. Last year I rode multiple times every month. Last night I was reminded how well the PC protects you from the wind. I will admit there is just something wrong with riding your motorcycle to a Christmas concert though. Of course years ago I went shopping for Christmas trees and strapped one on my old Goldwing. Where is that waste deep snow my dad walked to school in?
                        • Malcolm
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 5 5:08 AM
                            I ride most of the year here in Southern Ontario. The big problem is they put a salt brine mix on the road as soon as it gets cold.
                            Beside the alloy wheels looking rough the muffler is rotted out. Keeping an eye cleaning and repainting the swingarm as some members in England had them rot out.
                            I love cool weather riding on a PC. Minus 5 Celsius is my cutoff now. Getting old.
                            Cheers Malcolm.

                            Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.