Re: Clutch slipping

  • patriot
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 13, 2011
      clutch discs looked ok;replaced anyway, new springs about 1/8" longer than old ones ?.... reassembling with new gasket and hi temp sealant.

      --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "goldwingman40" <goldwingman@...> wrote:

      > Be careful when scrapping not to put nickes in the surfaces.You can try spraying the gasket with carb cleaner or spray gasket remover to help soften and loosen the pieces.
      > Fred
      >

      > --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "patriot" <pgrwhistler@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thx Fred, got it off...now for the gasket removal....
      > >
      > > --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "goldwingman40" <goldwingman@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > First double check and then triple check that you have all the screws out, then lightly tap aroung the edge of the cover with a rubber mallet. Then if I remember correctly there is a point along the cover edge that allows you to pry out LIGHTLY,as not to damage it, with steady pressure until the bond lets go.
      > > > Fred

    • goldwingman40
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 14, 2011
        Patriot,

        You have to be careful what you use on the gaskets. I used Permatex Hi Tac Gasket spray and the gasket swelled and leaked. I had to pull it open and replaced the gasket again dry and it sealed good.

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 14, 2011
          Fred; I used Permatex high-temp RTV silicone gasket maker (red), real thin to hold gasket in place while I reassembled ... hope it will be ok, so far so good.Many thx for all your help for the mechanically disadvantaged.

          --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "goldwingman40" <goldwingman@...> wrote:

          > Patriot,
          >
          > You have to be careful what you use on the gaskets. I used Permatex Hi Tac Gasket spray and the gasket swelled and leaked. I had to pull it open and replaced the gasket again dry and it sealed good.
          >
          > Fred
          >

          > --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "patriot" <pgrwhistler@> wrote:
          > >
          > > clutch discs looked ok;replaced anyway, new springs about 1/8" longer than old ones ?.... reassembling with new gasket and hi temp sealant.
          > >
          > > --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "goldwingman40" <goldwingman@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Be careful when scrapping not to put nickes in the surfaces.You can try spraying the gasket with carb cleaner or spray gasket remover to help soften and loosen the pieces.
          > > > Fred

        • BillS
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 14, 2011
            > Thanks I'll check the length of the new springs first. Think I'll just use the new springs first and see how the clutch works. Glad i'ts not any harder to do than it is!

            --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "goldwingman40" <goldwingman@...> wrote:

            > Bill,
            > You have to be careful , there is not a lot of coil clearance when the stock springs are compressed when you disengage the clutch. If you bottom out the coils you can crack out the spring pockets in the aluminum clutch cover, then you are buying a new one $$$$. This is the same reason you have to be careful in going to heavier springs, thicker wire, that the coils don't bottom out when you pull the clutch.
            > Fred
            >

            > --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "BillS" <mtyhtr06@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The clutch in my pc800 is slipping under hard acceleration. I had the
            > > same problem with a cb500 I had, I solved it by putting washers under
            > > the clutch lifter bolt/washers this solved the problem in the 500. I
            > > already bought and recieved new clutch springs, but was wondering if the
            > > washers would have workedas well? Any pc800 clutch experts got any
            > > sugestions? Haven't installed the springs yet.

          • Revill Dunn
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 25, 2012
              The PC has fairly weak clutch springs that can allow some slip.
              Besides, 25 years isn't so bad a lifespan for cork. But if you're
              going to tear into the thing to replace the springs, you might as well
              toss in a new set of cork plates. Usually sitting too long will
              cause grabbiness and/or not disengaging all the way (quite) rather
              than slipping, but it's possible. Or, you could just ride gently....

              I replaced my clutch cork plates and put in heavy duty springs when
              the bike had about 40,000 miles. I had exactly NO clutch slip ever
              after. I sold the bike at 122,000. I still have a larger left
              forearm than my right from those springs.

              Revill

              5b. Re: Looking at a PC
              Posted by: "tetsuomx5" ka1ult@... tetsuomx5
              Date: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:16 am ((PDT))

              You know, Dan, it's funny. The previous owner ran Amsoil, which is
              supposed to be awesome. Amsoil for cars or bikes, I don't know for
              sure, but I do have receipts to clue me in. The funny thing, though,
              is that as I've been riding the bike over the past day or so, the
              clutch has been slipping less and less. Is it possible that it just
              got a little slippery from lack of use, and now that I'm using it once
              again it's coming back to life? If so, it's a cheap fix to the $500
              he knocked off the purchase price to offset the clutch job I'd need!

              - Justin
            • Revill Dunn
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2013
                Clutch slipping on a PC is probably due to weak clutch springs. Most
                PC's with some miles on them will slip in high gear at full throttle.
                If it's an issue, aftermarket springs (and a new set of friction
                plates, since you're in there) will fix it. The downside? Your left
                arm will look like Popeye.

                Revill

                2a. Re: Hi, I just bought a 99 Red PC and I am from Singapore.
                Posted by: "wynndungey" softsoundservices@... wynndungey
                Date: Tue Jan 1, 2013 9:39 am ((PST))

                My clutch started to slip at maximum throttle in top gear after towing
                a trailer. I just treated the clutch gently (As in keeping slippage
                to a minimum.) and the problem went away on its own. I'm figuring
                that the clutch plate had glazed a bit and more normal bike use wore
                through the glaze. Good thing cause I wasn't wanting to put new
                clutch parts in. I did put about another 50,000 miles on the bike
                afterward. (It's still got the original clutch at 107,000 miles.)
                Hope your problem isn't any worse than that.
              • wynndungey
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 1, 2013
                  I really think it was the trailer and trip with my Son at pillion. Problem did go away after time and I don't want to lose that light clutch. As a musician, I don't want to stress my wrists. The bike wasn't that old at the time.