Re: My legs are too hot!

  • Sam
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 13, 2011
      PCing in Texas in the summertime can be miserable.
      Check out my inexpensive answer titled "Air Deflectors" just posted in the Photos section that resolved the issue for me.
      These extensions are made from the bottom of a laundry detergent bottle trimmed to fit and mounted with double sided tape.
      This increased deflection gives an easy 6"-8" comfort zone for your legs before encountering the engine heat exhaust.
    • goldwingman40
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 13, 2011
        Sam,
        Do you have any better pictures of both the deflectors so we can tell more about how they were made? What detergent bottle did you use and did you have to paint them or was the plastic that color? They look good from what the pictures show.
        Fred

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 13, 2011
          Fred I used the lower portion sidewall that wraps to the bottom of a 8# jug of detergent. Lightly sanded, sprayed with an air brush and sprayed clear-coat. Mount is simply double tape. This is the 2nd summer and I'm still amazed at how much more comfortable it is in 100 degree temperatures!
          I'll take a couple of close-ups and post shortly.
          Sam

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 13, 2011
            My apologies everyone. Strokes do funny things to your memory and thought processes......enough said?
            The material used to make this is a 8" wide Heavy Duty Plastic Stowage box available at the $1 store. I used about 2" of the upper end section and kept the curved portions going around to the longer side of the box thus making the 1/4" lips.
            Close-up pictures have been added.

            --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "goldwingman40" <goldwingman@...> wrote:

            > Sam,
            > Do you have any better pictures of both the deflectors so we can tell more about how they were made? What detergent bottle did you use and did you have to paint them or was the plastic that color? They look good from what the pictures show.
            > Fred
            >

            > --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "Sam" <heglers@> wrote:
            > >
            > > PCing in Texas in the summertime can be miserable.
            > > Check out my inexpensive answer titled "Air Deflectors" just posted in the Photos section that resolved the issue for me.
            > > These extensions are made from the bottom of a laundry detergent bottle trimmed to fit and mounted with double sided tape.
            > > This increased deflection gives an easy 6"-8" comfort zone for your legs before encountering the engine heat exhaust.

          • revconprince
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 13, 2011
              Ok, great. It nice to see ideas of how to make something work, made from something else. I do find one thing confusing. You have the air blocked by your feet, which normally blows fresh air up your pant leg. Seems like competing ideas. I was noticing the other day I need to remove my lower shields, as it is plenty warm now.
              Dave

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 13, 2011
                The lower air/water deflectors are easily removed by 2 screws however, in warm weather I typically rode shorts so it wasn't a problem. (I KNOW.....more bad habits)
                Sam
                PS-they work great for dry feet & blocking that cold unwanted air up the pants leg

                --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "revconprince" <daveinet@...> wrote:

                > Ok, great. It nice to see ideas of how to make something work, made from something else. I do find one thing confusing. You have the air blocked by your feet, which normally blows fresh air up your pant leg. Seems like competing ideas. I was noticing the other day I need to remove my lower shields, as it is plenty warm now.
                > Dave
                >
                > --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "Sam" <heglers@> wrote:
                > >
                > > My apologies everyone. Strokes do funny things to your memory and thought processes......enough said?
                > > The material used to make this is a 8" wide Heavy Duty Plastic Stowage box available at the $1 store. I used about 2" of the upper end section and kept the curved portions going around to the longer side of the box thus making the 1/4" lips.
                > > Close-up pictures have been added.
                > >
                > > --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "goldwingman40" <goldwingman@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Sam,
                > > > Do you have any better pictures of both the deflectors so we can tell more about how they were made? What detergent bottle did you use and did you have to paint them or was the plastic that color? They look good from what the pictures show.
                > > > Fred

              • Ting
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 13, 2011
                  > > Ok, great. It nice to see ideas of how to make something work, made from something else. I do find one thing confusing. You have the air blocked by your feet, which normally blows fresh air up your pant leg. Seems like competing ideas. I was noticing the other day I need to remove my lower shields, as it is plenty warm now.
                  > > Dave

                  Dave, I totally agree with you. I think it's awesome to make something out of something else. Especially when it comes from the dollar store. I am curious...does the plastic flex when you're up to highway speed? Sometimes I think that my cotton pants are melting into my skin when I have to sit in traffic on the way to work. I would not want them to bend and I still get heat.

                  I also thought about one of those acrylic floor plastic thingys for rolling chairs. Jig saw a couple of cutouts, slip it back under my bosses desk and nobody is the wiser.

                  Ting
                  Atlanta, GA
                  '90 Red PC
                  Glen Scotia(pronounced Sko-sha)
                • Sam
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 14, 2011
                    The curves give limited movement but only to the point that it is not rigid. After riding with these for over a year, I would make NO changes.

                    --- In ipcrc@yahoogroups.com, "Ting" <tradewinds1964@...> wrote:

                    > > > Ok, great. It nice to see ideas of how to make something work, made from something else. I do find one thing confusing. You have the air blocked by your feet, which normally blows fresh air up your pant leg. Seems like competing ideas. I was noticing the other day I need to remove my lower shields, as it is plenty warm now.
                    > > > Dave
                    >

                    > Dave, I totally agree with you. I think it's awesome to make something out of something else. Especially when it comes from the dollar store. I am curious...does the plastic flex when you're up to highway speed? Sometimes I think that my cotton pants are melting into my skin when I have to sit in traffic on the way to work. I would not want them to bend and I still get heat.
                    >
                    > I also thought about one of those acrylic floor plastic thingys for rolling chairs. Jig saw a couple of cutouts, slip it back under my bosses desk and nobody is the wiser.
                    >

                    > Ting
                    > Atlanta, GA
                    > '90 Red PC
                    > Glen Scotia(pronounced Sko-sha)

                  • Lewjay
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 14, 2011
                      Rode my PC about 30 miles one way the other day,and coming home it was in the high 90's. Kept checking my temp gauge cause my legs were so hot! Glad to see it's not running hot just the vents were exiting on my legs. I was wearing my Carhart overalls and they got a little warm.