Happy Birthday Cecile Starr!

  • ptanim8r
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 14, 2008
      Hello all,

      Happy Birthday to Cecile Starr! Perhaps we can all raise a glass,
      light a candle, or perhaps project a film in her honor.

      Throughout her life Cecile has been a been a devoted guardian and
      advocate of independent film. Her writing, teaching, promoting, and
      preserving of independent film has helped pave the way for many
      artists, filmmakers, and writers working within independent cinema.
      She is perhaps best known to many for her invaluable text,
      Experimental Animation (1976, reprinted in 1988 and now out of print)
      co-written with Robert Russett. Her career began in the news industry,
      which led to writing about films. She soon realized that there were
      works – art films and shorts – that were being overshadowed and
      ignored; films by people such as Hans Richter, Len Lye, Mary Ellen
      Bute, and Oskar Fischinger.

      Her love of such films and her spirited work to see that they have an
      audience and that they endure is her great gift to all of us.

      - Pam
    • Jean Detheux
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 14, 2008
        I'll second that, wholeheartedly.

        With the help of (sorely missed) Wendy Jackson Hall, I was able to
        receive permission from Cecile to use excerpts of some of Mary Ellen
        Bute's films in the closing article of my "Notes from the
        Underground" series (published by AWN).

        I am still very grateful to both Cecile and Wendy for that.

        Happy Birthday Cecile!

        Jean Detheux

        On 14-Jul-08, at 12:33 PM, ptanim8r wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > Happy Birthday to Cecile Starr! Perhaps we can all raise a glass,
        > light a candle, or perhaps project a film in her honor.
        >
        > Throughout her life Cecile has been a been a devoted guardian and
        > advocate of independent film. Her writing, teaching, promoting, and
        > preserving of independent film has helped pave the way for many
        > artists, filmmakers, and writers working within independent cinema.
        > She is perhaps best known to many for her invaluable text,
        > Experimental Animation (1976, reprinted in 1988 and now out of print)
        > co-written with Robert Russett. Her career began in the news industry,
        > which led to writing about films. She soon realized that there were
        > works � art films and shorts � that were being overshadowed and
        > ignored; films by people such as Hans Richter, Len Lye, Mary Ellen
        > Bute, and Oskar Fischinger.
        >
        > Her love of such films and her spirited work to see that they have an
        > audience and that they endure is her great gift to all of us.
        >
        > - Pam

        http://www.madhattersreview.com/issue4/gallery_jeandetheux.shtml

        "Each human being has the eternal duty of transforming what is hard
        and brutal into a subtle and tender offering, what is crude into
        refinement, what is ugly into beauty, ignorance into knowledge,
        confrontation into collaboration, thereby rediscovering the child's
        dream of a creative reality incessantly renewed by death, the servant
        of life, and by life, the servant of love".
        Yehudi Menuhin

      • bspinello@bak.rr.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 15, 2008
          Happy Birthday Ms Starr--

          All the best to you.

          Barry Spinello

          ---- ptanim8r <ptturner@...> wrote:
          > Hello all,
          >
          > Happy Birthday to Cecile Starr! Perhaps we can all raise a glass,
          > light a candle, or perhaps project a film in her honor.
          >
          > Throughout her life Cecile has been a been a devoted guardian and
          > advocate of independent film. Her writing, teaching, promoting, and
          > preserving of independent film has helped pave the way for many
          > artists, filmmakers, and writers working within independent cinema.
          > She is perhaps best known to many for her invaluable text,
          > Experimental Animation (1976, reprinted in 1988 and now out of print)
          > co-written with Robert Russett. Her career began in the news industry,
          > which led to writing about films. She soon realized that there were
          > works – art films and shorts – that were being overshadowed and
          > ignored; films by people such as Hans Richter, Len Lye, Mary Ellen
          > Bute, and Oskar Fischinger.
          >
          > Her love of such films and her spirited work to see that they have an
          > audience and that they endure is her great gift to all of us.
          >
          > - Pam

        • Glabicki, Paul W
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 15, 2008
            HAPPY BIRTHDAY Cecile Starr!

            An inspiration, guide, teacher, supporter, and friend!

            Very Best Wishes,

            Paul Glabicki

          • Dr. Janeann Dill
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 15, 2008
              What a difference you have made in our understanding of experimental animation!  Thank you, Cecile Starr,
              for being a pioneering presence.  I'm personally appreciative of the path you courageously forged so that we might follow your footsteps.  You inspire.

              Warmest regards and many happy returns for a lovely birthday year.

              Janeann

              Janeann Dill, Ph.D., MFA, MA, BA
              jdill4ffc@...

              Jules Engel Biographer