PRESS RELEASE - IOTA CONTEST GM2T EU-008

  • colin.r.smith@baesystems.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2001
      * * * * * * P R E S S R E L E A S E * * * * * *

      GM2T TIREE EXPEDITION - JULY 2001
      A team from Cockenzie & Port Seton Amateur Radio Club (C&PS ARC) will once more
      operate from the Isle of Tiree (IOTA EU-008, IOSA NH04, WAB NM04), the most
      westerly of Scotland's Inner Hebridean Islands, during the RSGB IOTA (Islands
      on the Air) contest. During the contest, which runs from 1200UTC 28 July
      until 1200UTC 29 July 2001, we will be using the special contest callsign GM2T.

      The team this year should consist of Cambell MM0DXC, John GM7OLQ, John MM0CCC,
      Colin GM0CLN, Bob GM4UYZ, Ron GM0NTL, Landles GM4XZZ, Tony GM3PGY (the islands
      only resident radio amateur), Iain MM1CPP, Robert MM0ANT, Brian M5BAP, Ron
      GM4IKU and Bob GM0BWU. Our QSL manager for all GM2T operation is Bob GM4UYZ,
      who is QTHR.

      We hope to post updates on our club web page at...

      http://www.cpsarc.com/

      ...when time allows before and after the contest.

      Located at approximate Lat/Long 56deg 30min N, 6deg 51min W, Tiree is some 10
      miles long and 3 miles wide, and is skirted by the Hebridean Sea to the South
      and East with the Atlantic Ocean to the North and West. The island has no
      trees, as they cannot root against the severe winter gales, but it is famed for
      it's spring and summer sunshine records. Birds, flora and fauna not seen on
      the mainland can also be found on the island. A flat crofting land, Tiree has
      only three hills above 300 ft, with a coastline edged with long, windswept,
      shell sand beaches.