Re: [Io] 2006 09 20 release

  • Jon Kleiser
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
      --- In iolanguage@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Tregunna <jtregunna@...> wrote:

      > >> Jon,
      > >>
      > >> Did you use darwin ports to install all the dependent libraries like
      > >> libjpg, libpng, etc?
      > >>
      > >> - Steve
      > >
      > > I don't think so. If I did, it must have been some while ago. Is it
      > > required? If it is, I think I need some more instructions. I've only
      > > read the readme.txt.
      >
      > MacPorts (aka DarwinPorts) isn't explicitly required, but it's a
      > convenient way to install all the necessary libs Io's addons depends
      > on. You can build a list of dependencies by finding the build.io in
      > each addon directory and looking for: dependsOnLib() lines.
      >
      > > /Jon
      >
      > --
      > Jeremy Tregunna
      > jtregunna@...

      Is MacPorts/DarwinPorts supposed to be the answer to all those dependsOnLib() lines?
      I just installed Io-2006-09-29 and DarwinPorts-1.3.2. When I start io and type "SGML", I
      get this:

      Exception: Error loading object '/usr/local/lib/io/addons/SGML/_build/dll/
      libIoSGML.dylib': 'dlopen(/usr/local/lib/io/addons/SGML/_build/dll/libIoSGML.dylib, 10):
      image not found'

      My guess is that some (missing) SGML library was required by the io make. When I do "port
      search sgml", I get "psgml" and "py-sgmlop", but they don't look promising. Are we
      supposed to be doing this kind of detective work for each and every addon we want to
      use?

      (I'm still on PPC Macs.)

      /Jon
    • Dethe Elza
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 17, 2006
        --- In iolanguage@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Tregunna <jtregunna@...> wrote:

        > MacPorts (aka DarwinPorts) isn't explicitly required, but it's a
        > convenient way to install all the necessary libs Io's addons depends
        > on. You can build a list of dependencies by finding the build.io in
        > each addon directory and looking for: dependsOnLib() lines.

        This may be the answer to the question I posted a couple of minutes ago in another thread.
        Beside installing libpng, libgif, etc., what do I have to do so that the Io build process finds the
        MacPorts libraries?

        I've tried setting the LD_LIBRARY environment variable, but they still don't appear to be
        picked up.

        Any tips for this would be appreciated.

        --Dethe
      • Jeremy Tregunna
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 17, 2006
          On 06-10-17, at 16:27, Dethe Elza wrote:

          > --- In iolanguage@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Tregunna <jtregunna@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >> MacPorts (aka DarwinPorts) isn't explicitly required, but it's a
          >> convenient way to install all the necessary libs Io's addons depends
          >> on. You can build a list of dependencies by finding the build.io in
          >> each addon directory and looking for: dependsOnLib() lines.
          >
          > This may be the answer to the question I posted a couple of minutes
          > ago in another thread.
          > Beside installing libpng, libgif, etc., what do I have to do so
          > that the Io build process finds the
          > MacPorts libraries?
          >
          > I've tried setting the LD_LIBRARY environment variable, but they
          > still don't appear to be
          > picked up.

          First a few things: Io automatically searches /opt/local which is
          where darwinports/macports install stuff to, so you don't have to
          worry about any of that.

          Secondly, OSX uses dyld which wants DYLD_FOO where FOO represents
          some tunable. Always prefixed DYLD not LD (just so you know, but in
          this case not required).

          --
          Jeremy Tregunna
          jtregunna@...
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 17, 2006
            On 17-Oct-06, at 2:40 PM, Jeremy Tregunna wrote:

            > First a few things: Io automatically searches /opt/local which is
            > where darwinports/macports install stuff to, so you don't have to
            > worry about any of that.

            OK, that's good to know. I didn't see that in the error or the
            Makefile.

            > Secondly, OSX uses dyld which wants DYLD_FOO where FOO represents
            > some tunable. Always prefixed DYLD not LD (just so you know, but in
            > this case not required).

            Ah, that's one of those things I *should* have known, but didn't.
            Thanks for the clarification.

            Any other ideas why Font was failing with an error and other addons
            were failing silently? What information would be helpful? I can
            send the output of running make test, if that would help, but didn't
            want to start off on the wrong foot with the list.

            Thanks again, having fun with Io so far.

            --Dethe

            Art is either plagiarism or revolution. --Paul Gauguin
          • Jeremy Tregunna
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 17, 2006
              On 06-10-17, at 18:57, Dethe Elza wrote:

              > On 17-Oct-06, at 2:40 PM, Jeremy Tregunna wrote:
              >
              > Any other ideas why Font was failing with an error and other addons
              > were failing silently? What information would be helpful? I can
              > send the output of running make test, if that would help, but didn't
              > want to start off on the wrong foot with the list.

              Probably issues with freetype not being installed. That said, I'm not
              entirely sure without seeing a build log (from make clean all, to
              failure).

              --
              Jeremy Tregunna
              jtregunna@...
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 17, 2006
                That freetype thing got me. I never got it working.
                Of course I haven't tried the latest IO sources, my
                build is still from July, which has suited me just
                fine. :)

                http://mail.yahoo.com