Re: Possible solution to locals problem

  • Roberto Amorim
    Message 1 of 38 , Aug 1, 2003
      Why not leave it as it is? Thinking about it, I don't find it confusing.
      Other languages have similar concepts and have lived with it.

      Thoughts anyone?

      Regards,

      Roberto
    • Roberto Amorim
      Message 38 of 38 , Aug 4, 2003
        > I agree with you that the *concept* is not confusing. However, in
        > practice the automatic creation of variables is a VERY error prone
        > mechanism. It's the cause of very subtle and difficult to find bugs.
        > Most dynamic languages have learned this the hard way and now provide
        > mechanisms to disable this behaviour. Some have even made that the
        > default setting of the language.

        Well, Python didn't (even though you can limit creation of slots on
        new-style classes)... but I see your point.

        > Io is a language that I'd love to be able to use for several
        > applications at work. It's potential is big. However, the automatic
        > creation of slots is the one feature that'll make me think twice
        > before using it in a team-based software development environment. This
        > is based on my previous experiences of projects that also used dynamic
        > languages with this feature, and the many headaches that resulted from
        > that.

        I see your point now. Perhaps Io could define some "environment switch" to
        enable or disable limitations on slot creation? I think that would be the
        best solution (doesn't break existing code, but permits greater control on
        team-based development and easy finding of scope-related bugs).

        Just my 0.02.

        Regards,

        Roberto