Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Io] Io chokes on sample code

Expand Messages
  • gatesphere
    I second this. A lot of time we re just idling, so it s not really a fast-paced thing. -- Jake
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 26, 2012
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      I second this.  A lot of time we're just idling, so it's not really a fast-paced thing.
      -->Jake

      On 2/26/2012 1:04 PM, Jan-Paul Bultmann wrote:
       

      You should really check the irc out,

      no worries we can wait on answers ^^

      Cheers Jan
      On Feb 26, 2012, at 6:50 PM, Duke Normandin wrote:

       

      On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:26:14 -0500
      gatesphere <gatesphere@...> wrote:

      > Not "always", but whenever you have some statements that you're
      > separating by newlines. When you do that, throw a semicolon in
      > there.

      I've also discovered that multiple statements on one line need to
      be separated by a semi-colon in the REPL, as in:

      Number factorial := method(n := 1; for(i, 1, self, n = n * i); n)

      I tried the above w/o them and got stung!

      So, newlines in the REPL notwithstanding, it seems that it's
      there's multiple statements - separate them with a semi-colon.

      I've also discovered that the newlines *in a script* serve as
      statement separators. However, again, if the statements are all on
      one line, the semi-colons are required. I gotta learn the hard
      way, it seems. lol ...

      > As mentioned on the irc channel yesterday, the Io interpreter
      > translates newlines into semicolons when it reads in scripts, but
      > in the REPL you have to do that manually.
      >
      > You'll get a feel for it eventually. I almost never use
      > semicolons now, but I used to sprinkle everything with them.

      It takes some getting used to - but then again, what doesn't! I
      wish that I was a faster keyboarder - I'd join in on IRC....

      Thanks!
      --
      Duke



    • Duke Normandin
      On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 19:04:43 +0100 ... Sounds like a plan! When do you guys usually hang out there? Or does it matter? I need to brush up on using IRC first. I
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 26, 2012
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 19:04:43 +0100
        Jan-Paul Bultmann <janpaulbultmann@...> wrote:



        > You should really check the irc out,
        > no worries we can wait on answers ^^

        Sounds like a plan! When do you guys usually hang out there? Or
        does it matter?

        I need to brush up on using IRC first. I use *jabber* sometimes,
        but not that often. :(

        I'd hate to have everybody nail me with:

        I'm getting old, here....!
        We're waaaaaaaaaaaaaiting ..... !

        LOL .....

        --
        Duke
      • gatesphere
        I m on pretty much all day every day. I don t believe I ve *ever* not seen jer (Jeremy Tregunna) online. I go by the handle gatesphere on there. I m in the
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 26, 2012
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          I'm on pretty much all day every day.  I don't believe I've *ever* not seen jer (Jeremy Tregunna) online.

          I go by the handle "gatesphere" on there.  I'm in the EST time zone, so any time during the day, as well as most of the night... I don't sleep. :P

          See you there!
          -->Jake

          On 2/26/2012 1:20 PM, Duke Normandin wrote:
           

          On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 19:04:43 +0100
          Jan-Paul Bultmann <janpaulbultmann@...> wrote:

          > You should really check the irc out,
          > no worries we can wait on answers ^^

          Sounds like a plan! When do you guys usually hang out there? Or
          does it matter?

          I need to brush up on using IRC first. I use *jabber* sometimes,
          but not that often. :(

          I'd hate to have everybody nail me with:

          I'm getting old, here....!
          We're waaaaaaaaaaaaaiting ..... !

          LOL .....

          --
          Duke


        • Jeremy Tregunna
          ... I m online, but not always available. I do work for a living :p jer
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 26, 2012
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment

            On 2012-02-26, at 2:07 PM, gatesphere wrote:

             

            I'm on pretty much all day every day.  I don't believe I've *ever* not seen jer (Jeremy Tregunna) online.

            I'm online, but not always available. I do work for a living :p

            jer
          • gatesphere
            My statement still stands. :P -- Jake
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 26, 2012
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment
              My statement still stands. :P
              -->Jake

              On 2/26/2012 3:08 PM, Jeremy Tregunna wrote:
               


              On 2012-02-26, at 2:07 PM, gatesphere wrote:

               

              I'm on pretty much all day every day.  I don't believe I've *ever* not seen jer (Jeremy Tregunna) online.

              I'm online, but not always available. I do work for a living :p

              jer

            • Duke Normandin
              On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:07:07 -0500 ... Cool! I just fired XChat to try it out. I ve got the Chatzilla add-on for Firefox as well. I ll see which one gives me
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 26, 2012
              View Source
              • 0 Attachment
                On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:07:07 -0500
                gatesphere <gatesphere@...> wrote:



                > I'm on pretty much all day every day. I don't believe I've
                > *ever* not seen jer (Jeremy Tregunna) online.
                >
                > I go by the handle "gatesphere" on there. I'm in the EST time
                > zone, so any time during the day, as well as most of the night...
                > I don't sleep. :P
                >
                > See you there!

                Cool! I just fired XChat to try it out. I've got the Chatzilla
                add-on for Firefox as well. I'll see which one gives me the less
                grief. :) I think that I set up a nickname with the nickserver
                quite a while ago. Want to change it, but i think that it's down
                for a bit. Whatever .... I'll wade through it!
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.