Re: [Io] Is Io broken enough that I should un-install it?

  • gatesphere
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 19, 2012
      Io works perfectly for me in most cases... including Socket (unless I'm on cygwin).  Not sure what the issue is on your end, but Io is my favorite little language.

      If you really want to uninstall it, then yes, make uninstall, then just remove the entire source tree.
      -->Jake

      On 2/19/2012 10:31 PM, Duke Normandin wrote:

      Is it??

      and how would I un-install Io?

      make uninstall

      ??

      --
      Duke

    • Duke Normandin
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 19, 2012
        On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 22:40:08 -0500
        gatesphere <gatesphere@...> wrote:

        > Io works perfectly for me in most cases... including Socket
        > (unless I'm on cygwin). Not sure what the issue is on your end,
        > but Io is my favorite little language.

        Are you using the current version of Io? On what platform? I
        thought I understood that the Socket addon was broken in the
        current version of Io?

        I was very much attracted to Io right from the start. However, the
        nagging Io issues I've been having is dampening my enthusiasm.
        Maybe it's an Io/Linux issue?

        > If you really want to uninstall it, then yes, make uninstall,
        > then just remove the entire source tree.

        Thanks ....

        --
        Duke
      • gatesphere
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 19, 2012
          I use the current version of Io on cygwin, linux, and Mac.  As far as I know, Socket isn't broken.  There's probably an issue with your code.

          Here's a sample server implementation that I wrote (it sets up a server that acts as a RPN calculator): https://github.com/gatesphere/io-codejams/tree/master/2011/12/20111213-calcserv

          Which linux distro are you using, Ubuntu?  If so, I have a package pre-built which has a working version of Socket (assuming you have libevent installed).  It's actually linked on the Io homepage, or at the iobin project page (http://iobin.suspended-chord.info/).

          Best of luck, I'll help with what I can.
          -->Jake

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 19, 2012
            On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 23:02:33 -0500
            gatesphere <gatesphere@...> wrote:

            > I use the current version of Io on cygwin, linux, and Mac. As
            > far as I know, Socket isn't broken. There's probably an issue
            > with your code.
            >
            > Here's a sample server implementation that I wrote (it sets up a
            > server that acts as a RPN calculator):
            > https://github.com/gatesphere/io-codejams/tree/master/2011/12/20111213-calcserv

            Worked like a charm!! Indeed, Socket is not broken on my Ubuntu
            box. It was that &^%^%$# shit code here:

            http://www.iolanguage.com/scm/io/docs/IoGuide.html#Primitives-Networking

            the "whois" crap ...

            > Which linux distro are you using, Ubuntu? If so, I have a
            > package pre-built which has a working version of Socket (assuming
            > you have libevent installed). It's actually linked on the Io
            > homepage, or at the iobin project page
            > (http://iobin.suspended-chord.info/).

            Thanks! I bookmarked the page for future reference.

            > Best of luck, I'll help with what I can.

            Much obliged! I was planning all along to start at the beginning
            and learn the language well. I just chose the wrong code to
            test-drive I guess. Kinda sets the "first impressions" in the
            negative zone ....

            It all seems well now, thanks to your code!!

            --
            Duke
          • Jan-Paul Bultmann
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 20, 2012
              Io itself is actually quite stable, the problems is not the vm itself but the ton of addons.
              If you want a clean Io simply see what addons you really need and don't use the rest by uncommenting them in the addons/CMakeLists.txt .

              On Feb 20, 2012, at 4:31 AM, Duke Normandin wrote:

              Is it??

              and how would I un-install Io?

              make uninstall

              ??

              --
              Duke

            • Duke Normandin
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 20, 2012
                On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:04:43 +0100
                Jan-Paul Bultmann <janpaulbultmann@...> wrote:

                > Io itself is actually quite stable, the problems is not the vm
                > itself but the ton of addons. If you want a clean Io simply see
                > what addons you really need and don't use the rest by
                > uncommenting them in the addons/CMakeLists.txt .

                Your recommendation resonates a little better with the sentiments
                expressed by others about Io. It's clearer _to me_ now, exactly
                _where_ the problem areas are.

                I also now _see_ a bit more clearly, how the "acute" approach of
                writing everything "in the language" except for the bootstrap
                process, would benefit the upgrade / update / bug-fix process
                immensely.

                Thanks for the input!