Statements stolen from mailbox

  • Frank Elley
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2009
      Sorry to be passing along this possible warning to Evergreen neighbors. This morning a kind neighbor (we didn't get his name) returned a credit card statement to us. He had found it in Montgomery Park. After a little investigation, we realized it was a current statement that we had never seen. So it would have to have been stolen out of our mailbox, not the trash. We live close to the intersection of Mackin Wood and Pomerado. Just thought we should pass along this information in case anyone else is missing some mail.

    • matt_wahlin
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
        Unfortunately, this problem has been around a LONG time. If you don't
        have a locking mailbox, you should install one, and it is probably best
        not to leave mail for pickup on your box. I've known many victims of
        mail theft over the years, but have been fortunate enough to avoid it
        myself (*knock on wood*)...

        --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com, Frank Elley <frank.elley@...>
        wrote:

        > Sorry to be passing along this possible warning to Evergreen
        neighbors. This morning a kind neighbor (we didn't get his name)
        returned a credit card statement to us. He had found it in Montgomery
        Park. After a little investigation, we realized it was a current
        statement that we had never seen. So it would have to have been stolen
        out of our mailbox, not the trash. We live close to the intersection of
        Mackin Wood and Pomerado. Just thought we should pass along this
        information in case anyone else is missing some mail.

      • Carl Honaker
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
          Message
          We and our neighbors had the same problem a couple years ago on Marcel Court.  We could never prove it, but the presence of junior high kids in the neighborhood loitering or passing through after school seemed to coincide with the times we were missing mail.  We bought and installed a lockable mailbox to replace the flimsy one installed by the developer and haven't had any problems since.

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
            This happens every so often in our area.  I have cameras on my street just in case.

            http://cameras.watkinsway.us

            dave

            Sorry to be passing along this possible warning to Evergreen neighbors. This morning a kind neighbor (we didn't get his name) returned a credit card statement to us. He had found it in Montgomery Park. After a little investigation, we realized it was a current statement that we had never seen. So it would have to have been stolen out of our mailbox, not the trash. We live close to the intersection of Mackin Wood and Pomerado. Just thought we should pass along this information in case anyone else is missing some mail.

          • Dave Stuart
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
              I don't remember what kind of mailbox I had at the time, but now I have a normal box with no front door.  The door broke off many  years ago and I personally have not had any problems since then except for wet mail.

              dave

[...]

            • Joey Mariano
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                I try to minimize my snail mail by receiving all statements by email, it just seems safer and eco-friendly to me.

                --
                Joey Mariano
                408.390.1973
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                  Cameras on street? Which vendor? What Locations did you install it or did the City of San Jose did it? Do they record and where is the info saved? Can you provide more info on what you have here to keep your street safer? Would be useful to others in the neighborhood.

                  Thanks...Ajaya

                  On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Dave Stuart <justdavesj@...> wrote:

                  This happens every so often in our area.  I have cameras on my street just in case.

                  http://cameras.watkinsway.us

                  dave

                  Sorry to be passing along this possible warning to Evergreen neighbors. This morning a kind neighbor (we didn't get his name) returned a credit card statement to us. He had found it in Montgomery Park. After a little investigation, we realized it was a current statement that we had never seen. So it would have to have been stolen out of our mailbox, not the trash. We live close to the intersection of Mackin Wood and Pomerado. Just thought we should pass along this information in case anyone else is missing some mail.

                  --
                  Have a Great Day...Ajaya