RE: [involvedevergreen] Re:Grocery store

  • Carl Honaker
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 31, 2008
      Message
      I tend to agree.  I'm concerned that the downturn in the economy, and the inability for business ventures to find credit, may have delayed or competely cancelled any movement in getting someone into this vacant space.  If the reports of other businesses and restaurants closing in Evergreen are true, then it will be even more difficult to find a willing partner at the Square.  If thats the case, I'd hope Shapell and Rose would come forth and at least be open and honest about their inability to secure a tenant for this space.  Even bad news would be better than dragging us all along the never ending 'Yellow Brick Road" of wishful thinking.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 1, 2009
        Finally someone says what must of us think .

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 1, 2009
          Who needs the grocery store when we have one of the nicest Farmer's Markets in the South Bay? I have been to several in this area, and our market shines. We have many vendors and a fabulous location. I can also see that attendance is increasing. When Lunardi was around, I went there once and never returned. It was high priced without added value; reminded me of Mollie Stone, another high-priced store which is floundering. I think the Farmer's Market is better than the typical grocery store -- affordable seasonal fresh produce. For milk and bread, I go to the nearest Lucky.

          I don't think we need a large anchor store to create a vibrant "downtown" feeling. Willow Glen, Saratoga, Los Gatos all have fun downtowns without big stores, just lots of interesting independently owned small stores.

          ---
          Arvind Kumar

          Finally someone says what must of us think .

          I've totally stopped holding my breath on the grocery store. I'm not sure anything we've heard is even true. I am also very concerned that the whole of the village will go straight downhill w/o an anchor to draw more business at the former Lunardi's site.

        • Jason Pacheco
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
            can you take us off your list thanks

            Shanna Casey

            Paint Pros Painting

            408-223-PROS

            408-613-2219 fax

            Finally someone says what must of us think .

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 6, 2009

              You have to take yourself off the group

              Don Fernandez
              Sequoia Consulting, Inc.
              4848 San Felipe Rd              (408) 274-4364 Voice
              #150-312                             (408) 516-9832 Fax
              San Jose, CA  95135            (408) 482-3327 Cell
              don@...

              Finally someone says what must of us think .

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 6, 2009
                It is great to hear that from your perspective the Evergreen Village Marketplace is just fine the way it is.  I suspect that if you asked a few others in the neighborhood they might feel otherwise, and I hope you would agree that it is acceptable for those of us who feel this way to continue to work to make the Marketplace better.  I must say that I found it a bit odd to hear on one hand that the problem with Lunardis was high prices, and yet on the other hand the farmer's market is ideal.  I fully support(ed) both, but I have to say that I see some pretty high prices being asked at the farmers market too.  Why don't I consider that a big problem?  For me it all comes down to convenience.  If you want low prices you go to WalMart, and you pay the price in inconvenience.

                A very long time ago we talked about what sort of stores we might consider useful to the neighborhood if located in the Marketplace.  At that time one of the main contenders seemed to be Trader Joe's, and even though I have not yet become a TJ's convert (primarily due to inconvenience), I agree that it might be a good fit for our neighborhood's needs.  We know that there was some attempt to woo TJ's to the marketplace; and that it wasn't well accepted at that time.  I checked their website and found that TJ's doesn't have a single location east of Highway 87 in the Santa Clara Valley ... it seems to me an existing building *and* an interested neighborhood might make them reconsider.  When you look at the current TJ's locations in the google map it sure looks as though the Evergreen Village Marketplace would be a natural location.  I have heard that should sufficient interest be expressed by the neighborhood TJ's might be convinced to look here again.  The number that I heard was ~1000 requests.  I'd like to suggest that everyone on these yahoo groups goes to the Trader Joe's website and put an entry into the "location request" link at:

                Be sure to clearly identify the location of the Evergreen Village Marketplace and include your name and address.  Think about adding your thoughts as to why this might be an ideal location to place a TJs store.  It only takes a minute to fill out the form.

                I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there who would say that given the current economic climate there's no way any company would consider adding new stores ... there's no question that there must be some truth to the statement ... but we're guaranteed to go nowhere if we don't do anything.  TJs is privately held, so we can't readily tell what sort of financial shape they are in, but I do know that they continue to add new locations, so maybe there's some hope.  I'm convinced a store with name recognition such as TJs would help put the Evergreen Village Marketplace on the map and bring in more folks from other nearby neighborhoods.

                All that said ... there's no need to just put all our eggs in one basket and hope for the best.  If anyone has any other ideas for companies we could contact directly to get them to consider locating in the marketplace, put them out on the table!  I think that in my earlier comment on this subject I indicated that given the entrepreneurial spirit of the valley I'm surprised that there aren't more "grass roots" efforts like the folks in almost all of the current businesses in the Marketplace to put a plan for a shop to be located at the marketplace together and make it happen!  In that vein I offer a hearty "WAY TO GO!" to the people who have just opened the Village Creamery shop in this current economic climate, and hope that we as a community realize what we do have and do what we can to help make the businesses in the marketplace successful.  No one says that it has to be a grocery store ...

                Steve Buchholz

[...]

              • B Sullivan
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 7, 2009
                  Are you kidding?  Go to the Farmer's Market at Princeton Plaza on Blossom Hill Road.  Much more variety and choices.  I don't see it getting any more vendors.

                  From: gsimon408@aol. com <gsimon408@aol. com>
                  To: involvedevergreen@ yahoogroups. com
                  Date: Monday, December 29, 2008, 10:48 AM

                  I've totally stopped holding my breath on the grocery store. I'm not sure anything we've heard is even true. I am also very concerned that the whole of the village will go straight downhill w/o an anchor to draw more business at the former Lunardi's site.

                • Michael Scott
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 7, 2009
                    Hello, Steve,

                    I enjoy your comments and appreciate your involvement and input here. Hope you stick around. : )

                    A few general comments on the subject at hand -

                    I'm not entirely sure that the community did not actually want a Trader Joes as much as I think they simply were not aware that that was the vender/store being discussed. Everyone I talked to said they thought it would be a great idea, and I for one would love that! I might even consider tossing around a few flyers with that handy website around the community. Thanks for that, BTW.

                    I looked into renting one of the smaller spaces next to the Taco place a long time ago, and the rent Shappel wanted was completely outrageous! They were totally inflexible, so we went elsewhere. I guess they figured that nothing is better than not getting top dollar, not sure the strategy there. Perhaps that has changed. Just my personal experience.

                    Finally, one thing I'd like to see go into Lunardi's space, if TJ's doesn't pan out. Be nice to see a multi-cultural food court with Asian and Asian-Indian style cuisines, which I think might serve the demographic here better. By food court I mean, a *nice* place folks can dine, have some privacy at their tables, and maybe get different foods fast if they want that as well, and offer several unique and different styles of cuisines.

                    Something unique where people could walk in, dine in and/or take out. Maybe have the food supplies for the style of cuisine available as well, like a small store(s) as well, for those who cook this style at home. So, some unique combo of:

                    Asian Asian-Indian Restaurant
                    Asian Asian-Indian Food Court
                    Asian Asian-Indian Small Store(s)

                    Could all be divided. Or to make it different make it one single entrance. Not sure how the different accesses would work if it were to be divided out, but I'm sure it's doable.

                    Reason I'm focusing on dining is there really is no real good places to eat until you drive further out into Capitol etc, so that might draw in many people if it's unique, somewhat stylish and serve a wide range of eating modalities.

                    Michael

> [...]
                    >

                    > ________________________________
                    >

                    > Who needs the grocery store when we have one of the nicest
                    > Farmer's Markets in the South Bay? I have been to
                    > several in this area, and our market shines. We have many
                    > vendors and a fabulous location. I can also see that
                    > attendance is increasing. When Lunardi was around, I went
                    > there once and never returned. It was high priced without
                    > added value; reminded me of Mollie Stone, another
                    > high-priced store which is floundering. I think the
                    > Farmer's Market is better than the typical grocery store
                    > -- affordable seasonal fresh produce. For milk and bread, I
                    > go to the nearest Lucky.
                    >
                    > I don't think we need a large anchor store to create a
                    > vibrant "downtown" feeling. Willow Glen, Saratoga,
                    > Los Gatos all have fun downtowns without big stores, just
                    > lots of interesting independently owned small stores.

                  • Rebecca Chinn
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 8, 2009
                      Michael,

                      Good ideas. I think the space next to the burrito place would be a great place for Vietnamese noodles. For some reason I have a craving for those but need to drive out to at least Capitol Expy and Silver Creek Rd. to get some decent ones. It'll be great to have one within walking distance. I can see something like that getting good business. I like your idea of having Indian eatery as well. I think both a sit down restaurant with buffet style food and also a smaller place where you can get some Indian tea and sweets would be nice.

> [...]
                      > > vendors and a fabulous location. I can also see that
                      > > attendance is increasing. When Lunardi was around, I
                      > went
                      > > there once and never returned. It was high priced
                      > without
                      > > added value; reminded me of Mollie Stone, another
                      > > high-priced store which is floundering. I think the
                      > > Farmer's Market is better than the typical grocery
                      > store
                      > > -- affordable seasonal fresh produce. For milk and
                      > bread, I
                      > > go to the nearest Lucky.
                      > >
                      > > I don't think we need a large anchor store to
                      > create a
                      > > vibrant "downtown" feeling. Willow Glen,
                      > Saratoga,
                      > > Los Gatos all have fun downtowns without big stores,
                      > just
                      > > lots of interesting independently owned small stores.

                    • Rekha Athreya
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 8, 2009
                        Hi Michael,
                        I really liked your idea of having a multi-cuisine dining place and if we invite few good restaurant people we can surely do it. This is so true about not having a good place to eat or take out. It could be all Asian and Asian-Indian and good Italian and Mexian too. Some competition is good to retain the quality. If I am right they have a similar one as per your idea at the Flint center in  Cupertino and I believe they are doing well. They also advertise on the radio about it. So probably that pattern could be followed. On a given week-end this will save us a trip all the way to Sunnyvale or elsewhere. Also,  we can make evergreen area even more self contained.
                        RA

                        To: involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com; EvergreenOpenForum@yahoogroups.com
                        From: audiolab@...
                        Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 20:35:00 -0800
                        Subject: Re: [involvedevergreen] Trader Joes or Asian - Indian Restaurant/Store?

> [...]

                        > ____________ _________ _________ __
                        >

                        > Who needs the grocery store when we have one of the nicest
                        > Farmer's Markets in the South Bay? I have been to
                        > several in this area, and our market shines. We have many
                        > vendors and a fabulous location. I can also see that
                        > attendance is increasing. When Lunardi was around, I went
                        > there once and never returned. It was high priced without
                        > added value; reminded me of Mollie Stone, another
                        > high-priced store which is floundering. I think the
                        > Farmer's Market is better than the typical grocery store
                        > -- affordable seasonal fresh produce. For milk and bread, I
                        > go to the nearest Lucky.
                        >
                        > I don't think we need a large anchor store to create a
                        > vibrant "downtown" feeling. Willow Glen, Saratoga,
                        > Los Gatos all have fun downtowns without big stores, just
                        > lots of interesting independently owned small stores.

                      • Michael Scott
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 8, 2009
                          Great insights and thoughts,

                          I didn't know about that place in the Flint center. We'll have to go check that out. Great tip!

                          I'm thinking about a very nice place (but not too fancy - meaning pricey) to dine. I was thinking of using food courts at the malls, but those would be a *very* bad analogy, so I didn't. :D But perhaps something slightly like that, but as a classy, quiet (yet busy) mutli-cuisine, dining experience, where you can have access to the different styles.

                          I like the idea of Italian, Asian, Asian-Indian, but not sure the Mexican burrito place next to Quizno's would like new Mexican style competition. Their food is pretty good too. Maybe we could all vote or chime and add or eliminate cuisines that we would like, not like or what would be more practical and stay and thrive.

                          We have to remember the racial make-up (demographic) of our Evergreen area, and I think the day to day usage from those (us) folks, would keep the places going, and also bring in the visitors, and business would be bustling.

                          I'm thinking the uniqueness of this would be having three (four?) different styles of food all available within 25 feet of each other.

                          I still like the Trader Joes thing a lot too though. : )

                        • Richard Liu
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 8, 2009
                            Without enough foot traffic during lunch hours, especially during weekdays, I am not sure how this can work out economically to the vendors.

                            To: involvedevergreen@ yahoogroups. com; EvergreenOpenForum@ yahoogroups. com
                            From: audiolab@pacbell. net
                            Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 20:35:00 -0800

> [...]

                            > ____________ _________ _________ __
                            >

                            > Who needs the grocery store when we have one of the nicest
                            > Farmer's Markets in the South Bay? I have been to
                            > several in this area, and our market shines. We have many
                            > vendors and a fabulous location. I can also see that
                            > attendance is increasing. When Lunardi was around, I went
                            > there once and never returned. It was high priced without
                            > added value; reminded me of Mollie Stone, another
                            > high-priced store which is floundering. I think the
                            > Farmer's Market is better than the typical grocery store
                            > -- affordable seasonal fresh produce. For milk and bread, I
                            > go to the nearest Lucky.
                            >
                            > I don't think we need a large anchor store to create a
                            > vibrant "downtown" feeling. Willow Glen, Saratoga,
                            > Los Gatos all have fun downtowns without big stores, just
                            > lots of interesting independently owned small stores.

                          • Jennifer Thr
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 8, 2009
                              I was thinking about almost like a food court idea within Lunardis just like you indian,asian, mexican...but with like other food like cuban or a buffet type of thing something really tasy and delicious because most of the other food places around here are boring and the same old fast food joints like mcdonalds taco bell and carls we need an inexspensive development and great menus to satisfy the community and bring in business to the decreasing complex. hows that sound? also across in that empty lot a shopping center like a small grocery store and a few shops with clothes like a tjmaxx or little shops like the shopping center on monterey road "the plant" it would make the environment up there feel better and look nicer with cheaper but nice looking stores instead of the expensive stores that are already up there not making any business because of such hard times and people around the area not familiar with that kind of money. so tell me what you think.
                              thanks
                              jen.

                              To: involvedevergreen@ yahoogroups. com; EvergreenOpenForum@ yahoogroups. com
                              From: audiolab@pacbell. net
                              Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 20:35:00 -0800

> [...]

                              > ____________ _________ _________ __
                              >

                              > Who needs the grocery store when we have one of the nicest
                              > Farmer's Markets in the South Bay? I have been to
                              > several in this area, and our market shines. We have many
                              > vendors and a fabulous location. I can also see that
                              > attendance is increasing. When Lunardi was around, I went
                              > there once and never returned. It was high priced without
                              > added value; reminded me of Mollie Stone, another
                              > high-priced store which is floundering. I think the
                              > Farmer's Market is better than the typical grocery store
                              > -- affordable seasonal fresh produce. For milk and bread, I
                              > go to the nearest Lucky.
                              >
                              > I don't think we need a large anchor store to create a
                              > vibrant "downtown" feeling. Willow Glen, Saratoga,
                              > Los Gatos all have fun downtowns without big stores, just
                              > lots of interesting independently owned small stores.

                            • Leslie Steinberg
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 11, 2009
                                A suggestion might be to ask Peacock Cafe, located in the strip mall near Taco Bell at White/Aborn if they might be interested in moving over.  I have been in there at lunch time and they have a line out the door some days.  People come from other areas to get their food.  Not a long move for them or their customers to our Village and they could have a much nicer eat in facility in addition to their big take out business.  Just a thought.

                                Leslie

                                --
                                Leslie Steinberg
                                Sales Director and New Consultant Trainer