empty lot at ruby/aborn

  • AA
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
      Hello All,
      Does anyone know if there are any plans for the empty lot at the corner of Ruby and Aborn?

      Thanks,
      Anne

    • MMatt95121@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
        Hi,
        Yes, that is a good question. I hope that it stays. The Farmers market adds to the charm of our square. It's a bit of old world.

        M.M.

      • S Buchholz
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
          It is my understanding that Shappell intends to keep the farmer's market going independent of whether or not there is a new tenant in the former Lunardi's space. We walked over there last Sunday, nice to have it in walking distance ... almost like the old days with Cortese's little farmer's market down the street. Funny, I find myself thinking about that this time of year ... remembering the old Christmas Tree farm and kiddee train ... too bad they had to sell *everything* to the developers ... we have a lot of memories from there. Funny, with the funky little park going in down the street from the market it makes me wonder why they couldn't have decided to make the old market the "park" ... guess that's not a topic for this forum though ...

          I did want to comment about the apology ... I thought I'd remind everyone that there is an archive on line ... if anyone wants to see what has already been discussed they can read all the communications there. There's a link to the group at the bottom of every post:

          SB

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
            My family was a bit late to the market today. We were talking to one
            of the vendors there who said that he was not able to claim the loss
            on the fruit he was forced to leave because of the quarantine. He
            indicated that he had requested the person who coordinates the market
            to help with this matter, and the response was "I'll take it to my
            manager."

            I would imagine that we're talking about someone at Shapell,
            correct? I think that we're seeing the community get behind the
            farmer's market. We also need to make sure that the people running
            the market are doing what they can and should do for this to remain a
            long term success. I think it is great to see vendors willing to
            drive to our small corner from Santa Maria and the central valley,
            let's hope that Shapell is serious about this market being a long
            term success rather than a stop gap due to Lunardi's actions. The
            people with whom the vendors are working should have authority to
            take action on requests like this. I can't imagine this would impact
            the farmer's market in any way.

            Steve B

            > Do folks know if, once the new store is in, the Farmers' Market will
            > continue at its current times and location? Hope so...
          • Steph Kershaw
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 3, 2007
              If the number of customers doesn't drop significantly, the market should stay. Once they are
              established, the vendors will return weekly.

              Steph

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 3, 2007
                Yes, I gather the plan is to put a strip mall in there eventually (hooray, like we need
                another one). I think the whole Mirassou property is slated for that. There were talks about
                getting some of the buildings historic status, but not sure how that is going. It's such a
                shame. We had one of the oldest wineries in California, and now it's just an empty shell.

                --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com, AA <crazbiz@...> wrote:

                > Hello All,
                > Does anyone know if there are any plans for the empty lot at the corner of Ruby and
                Aborn?

                > Thanks,
                > Anne
                >

                > ---------------------------------

              • carlebobarly
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Hello all,
                  This is Carle Brinkman, I am the Market Manager for your Evergreen
                  Farmers' Markets in the square. I work with Pacific Coast Farmers'
                  Market Association, a not-for-profit community service organization
                  that works in partnership with Shappell Industries and Vice Mayor
                  Dave Cortese's office to operate your local farmers' market. I just
                  wanted to clear up any confusion about the quarantine and offer my
                  contact info if anyone would like to discuss this further:

                  The quarantine is something constituted and enforced by both the
                  USDA and the local Ag. Department. The farmers at the market who
                  sell host product (eg. certain fruits) are required to cover product
                  with nets or plastic and surrender any remaining fruit on their
                  table at the end of the day. They are not required to surrender any
                  fruit that is properly covered on or in their trucks. These measures
                  are to prevent the spread of a pest called the Mediterranean Fruit
                  Fly (see
                  http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/PDEP/target_pest_disease_profiles/medite
                  rranean_ff_profile.html for more info.)The farmers understand the
                  rules and have signed a compliance form agreeing to them. This being
                  said, as the manager of the market I have done all I can to educate
                  the farmers and the public and mitigate any harm to the farmers'
                  sales--I have encouraged the farmers to put less on their tables and
                  cover them with netting instead of plastic so customers can see the
                  fruit better. Each week I have also put up posters on each farmers'
                  tent to inform the public of the quarantine.

                  While it is, indeed, tragic that these small family farms (who are
                  already the underdog in a sea of factory farms and industrial
                  farming) are loosing money because they must relinquish what is on
                  their table at the end of the day to the County Dept. of Agriculture
                  (who in turn, brings it to a local soup kitchen), it is also
                  necessary and put in place to protect agriculture in their home
                  farms, counties and the entire state.

                  Sorry for the lengthy email, but I want to make sure to address this
                  properly.
                  Please feel free to contact me via email or phone (925-825-9090)
                  with any other questions or concerns re: the farmers' market.

                  Best to all of you who support our local producers at the farmers'
                  market!!! Please keep coming out on Wednesdays and Sundays, 9am-1pm!

                  Best,
                  Carle

                  Carle Brinkman
                  Market Manager, PCFMA
                  925-825-9090
                  carlebrinkman@...

                  --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com, "k1drbar" <k1drbar@...>
                  wrote:

                  > My family was a bit late to the market today. We were talking to
                  one
                  > of the vendors there who said that he was not able to claim the
                  loss
                  > on the fruit he was forced to leave because of the quarantine. He
                  > indicated that he had requested the person who coordinates the
                  market
                  > to help with this matter, and the response was "I'll take it to my
                  > manager."
                  >
                  > I would imagine that we're talking about someone at Shapell,
                  > correct? I think that we're seeing the community get behind the
                  > farmer's market. We also need to make sure that the people
                  running
                  > the market are doing what they can and should do for this to
                  remain a
                  > long term success. I think it is great to see vendors willing to
                  > drive to our small corner from Santa Maria and the central valley,
                  > let's hope that Shapell is serious about this market being a long
                  > term success rather than a stop gap due to Lunardi's actions. The
                  > people with whom the vendors are working should have authority to
                  > take action on requests like this. I can't imagine this would
                  impact
                  > the farmer's market in any way.
                  >
                  > Steve B
                  >

                  > > Do folks know if, once the new store is in, the Farmers' Market
                  will
                  > > continue at its current times and location? Hope so...

                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
                    Hi Carle,

                    To me, this sounds like another Govie intrusion in our lives like the
                    Evironmental Pollution Agency. I am sorry, but I just can't see where
                    the covering has any effect other than annoyance, but I am sure the
                    Govies have the data to back it up. Funny thing, I started my career
                    many moons ago working for a county environmental health department and
                    went around doing public safety type things like restaurant inspections.
                    I guess I have changed in my old age.

                    Paul

                    --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com, "carlebobarly"
                    <carlebrinkman@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > farmer's market. We also need to make sure that the people
                    > running
                    > > the market are doing what they can and should do for this to
                    > remain a
                    > > long term success. I think it is great to see vendors willing to
                    > > drive to our small corner from Santa Maria and the central valley,
                    > > let's hope that Shapell is serious about this market being a long
                    > > term success rather than a stop gap due to Lunardi's actions. The
                    > > people with whom the vendors are working should have authority to
                    > > take action on requests like this. I can't imagine this would
                    > impact
                    > > the farmer's market in any way.
                    > >
                    > > Steve B
                    > >

                    > > > Do folks know if, once the new store is in, the Farmers' Market
                    > will
                    > > > continue at its current times and location? Hope so...

                  • Beth Gorell
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
                      This is an important observation, Steve. In a related story, we spoke
                      to the bread vendor the other week who told us that she is not allowed
                      to even donate to charity the breads she doesn't sell at the market.
                      This seems like a terrible waste. One minute the bread is fine to
                      sell, the next it is not even good enough to give to the poor and
                      hungry? There should be some way this can be helped.

                      Beth

                      --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com, "k1drbar" <k1drbar@...> wrote:

                      > My family was a bit late to the market today. We were talking to one
                      > of the vendors there who said that he was not able to claim the loss
                      > on the fruit he was forced to leave because of the quarantine. He
                      > indicated that he had requested the person who coordinates the market
                      > to help with this matter, and the response was "I'll take it to my
                      > manager."
                      >
                      > I would imagine that we're talking about someone at Shapell,
                      > correct? I think that we're seeing the community get behind the
                      > farmer's market. We also need to make sure that the people running
                      > the market are doing what they can and should do for this to remain a
                      > long term success. I think it is great to see vendors willing to
                      > drive to our small corner from Santa Maria and the central valley,
                      > let's hope that Shapell is serious about this market being a long
                      > term success rather than a stop gap due to Lunardi's actions. The
                      > people with whom the vendors are working should have authority to
                      > take action on requests like this. I can't imagine this would impact
                      > the farmer's market in any way.
                      >
                      > Steve B

                    • k1drbar
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
                        Thank you for that comprehensive reply to my earlier post. I'm glad
                        to see this list used for good communication amongst all who are
                        interested in making the Evergreen Marketplace a success.

                        The thing is, it does not seem to me that the issue raised by the
                        vendor was understood; and it certainly was not addressed. I don't
                        think anyone was unclear on the rules or why they are important. All
                        that this "underdog in a sea of factory farms and industrial farming"
                        was asking for was some piece of official paperwork listing what has
                        been "relinquish[ed] to the County Dept. of Agriculture" that he
                        could use to claim the loss. It all sounded to be a reasonable
                        request to me, and it should not cost the market or Shappell a dime.

                        As noted in the initial report, if we do truly want to do our best to
                        make sure this market is a long term success for our community, we
                        should strive to promptly respond to such "no brainer" requests ...
                        little things can go a long way to showing those growers we
                        appreciate what they are doing.

                        One follow on note ... last Sunday after visiting the market we had
                        lunch at Burrito Azteca and noticed that quite a few of those vendors
                        also stopped in to Burrito Azteca for a meal at the end of their
                        day ... a secondary benefit of the market to the vendors in the
                        marketplace ... all the more reason to support those who come to our
                        little square to supply the market ...

                        Steve B

                        <carlebrinkman@...> wrote:

                        > While it is, indeed, tragic that these small family farms (who are
                        > already the underdog in a sea of factory farms and industrial
                        > farming) are loosing money because they must relinquish what is on
                        > their table at the end of the day to the County Dept. of
                        Agriculture
                        > (who in turn, brings it to a local soup kitchen), it is also
                        > necessary and put in place to protect agriculture in their home
                        > farms, counties and the entire state.
                        >
                        > Sorry for the lengthy email, but I want to make sure to address
                        this
                        > properly.
                        >
                        > --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com, "k1drbar" <k1drbar@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > My family was a bit late to the market today. We were talking to
                        > one
                        > > of the vendors there who said that he was not able to claim the
                        > loss
                        > > on the fruit he was forced to leave because of the quarantine.
                        He
                        > > indicated that he had requested the person who coordinates the
                        > market
                        > > to help with this matter, and the response was "I'll take it to
                        my
                        > > manager."
                      • sangeeta ramakrishnan
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
                          In Almaden an older winery was converted to some kind of Community Center.
                          Any folks on this alias, have ideas how to pull off something like that in Evergreen ?

                          BTW previously I had heard about homes being planned for the Mirassou lot.

                          Sangeeta

                          Steph Kershaw <skershaw_sanjose@...> wrote:
                          Yes, I gather the plan is to put a strip mall in there eventually (hooray, like we need
                          another one). I think the whole Mirassou property is slated for that. There were talks about
                          getting some of the buildings historic status, but not sure how that is going. It's such a
                          shame. We had one of the oldest wineries in California, and now it's just an empty shell.

                          --- In involvedevergreen@ yahoogroups. com, AA <crazbiz@... > wrote:

                          > Hello All,
                          > Does anyone know if there are any plans for the empty lot at the corner of Ruby and
                          Aborn?

                          > Thanks,
                          > Anne
                          >

                          > ------------ --------- --------- ---

                        • carlebobarly
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
                            Thanks to all of you who have since written re. my posting.

                            And thank you, Steve, for the clarification. I did not realize that
                            the issue raised by the farmer was regarding claiming his/her loss.
                            As far as this goes, it is the Santa Clara Agriculture Department
                            that would need to get this to them. I will be sure to speak with the
                            representatives this coming Sunday.
                            Thanks again, all!
                            -Carle