Re: AT&T and other cell phone services

  • damonisyouragent
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 31 3:45 PM
      Thanks for the comments. Its a bit frustrating when Im spending over
      160/month on phone services since I feel forced to have the home phone
      line in addition to a cell for home and work.
    • Don Fernandez
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 31 9:58 PM

        We are in The Villages.  It seems that Verizon is best here, but certainly has bad spots – the shopping center at Yerba Buena and San Felipe, Yerba Buena and Silver Creek Valley Road and Silver Creek Valley Road going down the hill towards Hellyer are the worst ones that we encounter.

        Don Fernandez
        Sequoia Consulting, Inc.
        4848 San Felipe Rd              (408) 274-4364 Voice
        #150-312                             (408) 516-9832 Fax
        San Jose, CA  95135            (408) 482-3327 Cell
        don@...

        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 1, 2008
          Sorry, Damon - I have ATT for my cell service and live in Evergreen just south of the Evergreen Village Square off Ruby Ave.  My cell phone service is quite good in the area except for the top of the hill at YerbaBuena/Silver Creek Valley Rd-Nieman Blvd.

          JaciG

          Retirement is when you stop living at work and start working at living.

          I currently have ATT for my cell service and live in the Evergreen
          area, basically at the top of Quimby Rd.

          My cell phone service is lousy to say the least. Who lives in
          Evergreen and enjoys good service? Which company is that? And are
          there alot of angry ATT customers out there like me? If so, we need to
          come together and send a petition to the company so they will build a
          new tower in our area to improve our service. Between home and cell
          service, Im paying too much for phone services.

          Thanks!
          Damon

        • Tim Y.
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 1, 2008
            ATT cell service is really bad around the Aborn / Mosher area. When I called ATT, all they recommended was to turn off the phone and turn it back on. They said this is so the phone can "attach" to a closer cell tower. Never worked for me. Unfortunately, the iPhone reception is worse than a "normal" ATT cellphone.

            Verizon has always worked well here though.

            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 1, 2008
              I live around Aborn/Murillo/Voltaire and experience one bar (if any) when Im anywhere past Ruby Ave and up. What I do now is forward my cell phone to my house phone when needed. The only drawback is I have to remember to stop the forwarding when I leave home.

              On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 3:45 PM, damonisyouragent <damonisyouragent@...> wrote:

              Thanks for the comments. Its a bit frustrating when Im spending over
              160/month on phone services since I feel forced to have the home phone
              line in addition to a cell for home and work.

            • Augustus Ceasar
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 3, 2008
                This is a great thread as I was just recently thinking of getting a
                cell phone tower put on my property......I went perusing online and
                did not find much.....

                The service is poor in these parts I agree........does anyone have any
                info or insight they can relay?

                I'm not sure how healthy it can be living right next to one......I
                heard they can make them now that look like trees.....?

                VF

                --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Y." <cranjnk@...> wrote:

                > ATT cell service is really bad around the Aborn / Mosher area. When
                I called ATT, all they recommended was to turn off the phone and turn
                it back on. They said this is so the phone can "attach" to a closer
                cell tower. Never worked for me. Unfortunately, the iPhone reception
                is worse than a "normal" ATT cellphone.

                > Verizon has always worked well here though.

              • Rohit Rakshe
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 5, 2008
                  This is a good discussion. And hopefully will result in some action on
                  our part.

                  First question: what is the cause of bad ATT reception? Is it simply
                  lack of enough towers? (how many do they have? How many should they
                  have? any details there?)

                  Secondly, can we influence ATT to fix this? We can probably do this
                  better as a group than as individuals.

                  Thanks

                  - Rohit Rakshe
                • Patrick Waite
                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 5, 2008

                    I have discussed this with several cell phone providers. They all recognize the coverage issues that we have. The answer is pretty consistent among vendors: land costs are very high around here, with few good tower locations available due to the residential character of our part of town.

                    St. Francis of Assisi has been approached by two different cellular companies regarding putting a tower atop the facility. However when the engineers evaluate the site, they turn it down because it only has 180 degree coverage due to the hill to the west of the site. The companies want sites with 360 degree coverage, a rare commodity in our area. So we’re sort of stuck.

                    The best thing to do to change the situation is to call and complain, and get your friends to call and complain.

                    I have had AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. In my experience, Verizon has provided the best signal.

                    SigSharpie 003

                    This is a good discussion. And hopefully will result in some action on
                    our part.

                    First question: what is the cause of bad ATT reception? Is it simply
                    lack of enough towers? (how many do they have? How many should they
                    have? any details there?)

                    Secondly, can we influence ATT to fix this? We can probably do this
                    better as a group than as individuals.

                    Thanks

                    On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Augustus Ceasar <vfalcone_1@...> wrote:

                    > This is a great thread as I was just recently thinking of getting a
                    > cell phone tower put on my property......I went perusing online and
                    > did not find much.....
                    >

                    > The service is poor in these parts I agree........does anyone have any
                    > info or insight they can relay?
                    >
                    > I'm not sure how healthy it can be living right next to one......I
                    > heard they can make them now that look like trees.....?
                    >
                    > VF
                    >

                    > --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com,
                    "Tim Y." <cranjnk@...> wrote:

                    >> ATT cell service is really bad around the Aborn / Mosher area. When
                    > I called ATT, all they recommended was to turn off the phone and turn
                    > it back on. They said this is so the phone can "attach" to a
                    closer
                    > cell tower. Never worked for me. Unfortunately, the iPhone reception
                    > is worse than a "normal" ATT cellphone.
                    >>
                    >> Verizon has always worked well here though.

                    - Rohit Rakshe

                  • Rameysh Ramdas
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 5, 2008

                      I am also with ATT and stuck with a 2 year contract on my I-Phone that falls silent once I come home L

                      My wife’s Nokia however at least has average signal strength in some parts of the home to get and receive calls.

                      I called ATT/ Cingular and I was told that the coverage in Evergreen is classified as “Average” and that they do not have any plans for any additional towers. I was advised to turn off and on the phone for it to detect the signals again. Also, I was told that the model of the phone matters and I-Phones were not on their list so they do not know.

                      I have heard that Verizon works really well in EV- is that true ?

                      Thanks in advance for others to chime in on what works well for EV- esp closer to the hills. Any group petitions to ATT/Cingular –I would gladly sign J

                      Cheers,

                      Rameysh

                      This is a good discussion. And hopefully will result in some action on
                      our part.

                      First question: what is the cause of bad ATT reception? Is it simply
                      lack of enough towers? (how many do they have? How many should they
                      have? any details there?)

                      Secondly, can we influence ATT to fix this? We can probably do this
                      better as a group than as individuals.

                      Thanks

                      On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Augustus Ceasar <vfalcone_1@...> wrote:

                      > This is a great thread as I was just recently thinking of getting a
                      > cell phone tower put on my property......I went perusing online and
                      > did not find much.....
                      >

                      > The service is poor in these parts I agree........does anyone have any
                      > info or insight they can relay?
                      >
                      > I'm not sure how healthy it can be living right next to one......I
                      > heard they can make them now that look like trees.....?
                      >
                      > VF
                      >

                      > --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com,
                      "Tim Y." <cranjnk@...> wrote:

                      >> ATT cell service is really bad around the Aborn / Mosher area. When
                      > I called ATT, all they recommended was to turn off the phone and turn
                      > it back on. They said this is so the phone can "attach" to a
                      closer
                      > cell tower. Never worked for me. Unfortunately, the iPhone reception
                      > is worse than a "normal" ATT cellphone.
                      >>
                      >> Verizon has always worked well here though.

                      - Rohit Rakshe

                    • damonisyouragent
                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 6, 2008
                        When I talked to the folks at ATT, they transferred me to the tech
                        division. I was informed of a new tower going in around the Pleasant
                        Hill/Tully Rd area that should be online now. Other than that, the guy
                        I spoke with said, the more people complain about the service in the
                        area, the more apt ATT would look into the situation.

                        So we need to get an online petition started and then forward it onto
                        someone at ATT so we can make some phone calls around here. It's 2008
                        and we live in Silicon Valley. Bad reception is ridiculous.
                      • Patrick Waite
                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 6, 2008

                          You might consider a cell phone extender for the house. I installed the zBoost YX510 (http://www.wi-ex.com/) and have better (but not great) coverage in the house now with Verizon. It’s kind of a pricey way to go, but it seems to work.

                          SigSharpie 003

                          This is a good discussion. And hopefully will result in some action on
                          our part.

                          First question: what is the cause of bad ATT reception? Is it simply
                          lack of enough towers? (how many do they have? How many should they
                          have? any details there?)

                          Secondly, can we influence ATT to fix this? We can probably do this
                          better as a group than as individuals.

                          Thanks

                          On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Augustus Ceasar <vfalcone_1@...> wrote:

                          > This is a great thread as I was just recently thinking of getting a
                          > cell phone tower put on my property......I went perusing online and
                          > did not find much.....
                          >

                          > The service is poor in these parts I agree........does anyone have any
                          > info or insight they can relay?
                          >
                          > I'm not sure how healthy it can be living right next to one......I
                          > heard they can make them now that look like trees.....?
                          >
                          > VF
                          >

                          > --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com,
                          "Tim Y." <cranjnk@...> wrote:

                          >> ATT cell service is really bad around the Aborn / Mosher area. When
                          > I called ATT, all they recommended was to turn off the phone and turn
                          > it back on. They said this is so the phone can "attach" to a
                          closer
                          > cell tower. Never worked for me. Unfortunately, the iPhone reception
                          > is worse than a "normal" ATT cellphone.
                          >>
                          >> Verizon has always worked well here though.

                          - Rohit Rakshe

                        • Wayne W. Woodward
                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 6, 2008
                            I live off Aborn & Alessandro. AT&T cell service is terrible in my
                            house, 1 - 2 bars. The coverage map for my area is noted as good,
                            meaning maybe enough if I am outside. I called about this and was
                            told that my area does not have enough coverage from towers, meaning
                            AT&T would have to invest and build new...

                            The coverage map is located at this URL.

                            http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

                            Take care,
                            Wayne

                            --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com, "Rohit Rakshe" <rakshe@...>
                            wrote:

                            > This is a good discussion. And hopefully will result in some action on
                            > our part.
                            >
                            > First question: what is the cause of bad ATT reception? Is it simply
                            > lack of enough towers? (how many do they have? How many should they
                            > have? any details there?)
                            >
                            > Secondly, can we influence ATT to fix this? We can probably do this
                            > better as a group than as individuals.
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            >

                            > On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Augustus Ceasar <vfalcone_1@...> wrote:
                            > > This is a great thread as I was just recently thinking of getting a
                            > > cell phone tower put on my property......I went perusing online and
                            > > did not find much.....
                            > >

                            > > The service is poor in these parts I agree........does anyone have any
                            > > info or insight they can relay?
                            > >
                            > > I'm not sure how healthy it can be living right next to one......I
                            > > heard they can make them now that look like trees.....?
                            > >
                            > > VF
                            > >

                            > > --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Y." <cranjnk@> wrote:
                            > >>
                            > >> ATT cell service is really bad around the Aborn / Mosher area. When
                            > > I called ATT, all they recommended was to turn off the phone and turn
                            > > it back on. They said this is so the phone can "attach" to a closer
                            > > cell tower. Never worked for me. Unfortunately, the iPhone reception
                            > > is worse than a "normal" ATT cellphone.
                            > >>
                            > >> Verizon has always worked well here though.

                          • antonio pereyra

                              Message 14 of 28 , Aug 7, 2008
                                Hi Wayne

                                Can you give me the phone number you called

                                I tried calling the other day to try and see about getting a cell
                                tower put on my property.......I live on Aborn and Ruby......and I
                                ended up getting all these numbers and finally found someone who would
                                be a broker for other cell phone providers and they get a cut....I
                                would like to go right through to the cell phone provider

                                not sure how to do this as many companies say they have no direct
                                lines for each cell phone service in regards to this matter

                                VF

                                --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne W. Woodward"
                                <wayne.woodward@...> wrote:

                                > I live off Aborn & Alessandro. AT&T cell service is terrible in my
                                > house, 1 - 2 bars. The coverage map for my area is noted as good,
                                > meaning maybe enough if I am outside. I called about this and was
                                > told that my area does not have enough coverage from towers, meaning
                                > AT&T would have to invest and build new...
                                >
                                > The coverage map is located at this URL.
                                >
                                > http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
                                >
                                > Take care,
                                > Wayne

                              • suzhenl
                                Message 15 of 28 , Aug 7, 2008
                                  It is true that Verizon works very well in EV. I am using Verizo and it always has full signal in my house.  However, I try to avoid using cell phone at home due to its radiation.
                                  Nowadays, many people get brain cancer and research still try to find out if it is cause by cell phone. I see some peoples are tiring to propose more towers in EV. Do you mind if a cell phone tower is next to your house?

                                  Thanks,
                                  --Susan

                                  Rameysh Ramdas <ramdas02@...> wrote:
                                  I am also with ATT and stuck with a 2 year contract on my I-Phone that falls silent once I come home L
                                  My wife?™s Nokia however at least has average signal strength in some parts of the home to get and receive calls.
                                  I called ATT/ Cingular and I was told that the coverage in Evergreen is classified as ?œAverage??and that they do not have any plans for any additional towers. I was advised to turn off and on the phone for it to detect the signals again. Also, I was told that the model of the phone matters and I-Phones were not on their list so they do not know.

                                  On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Augustus Ceasar <vfalcone_1@yahoo. com> wrote:
                                  > This is a great thread as I was just recently thinking of getting a
                                  > cell phone tower put on my property.... ..I went perusing online and
                                  > did not find much.....
                                  >

                                  > The service is poor in these parts I agree....... .does anyone have any
                                  > info or insight they can relay?
                                  >
                                  > I'm not sure how healthy it can be living right next to one......I
                                  > heard they can make them now that look like trees.....?
                                  >
                                  > VF
                                  >

                                  > --- In involvedevergreen@ yahoogroups. com, "Tim Y." <cranjnk@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> ATT cell service is really bad around the Aborn / Mosher area. When
                                  > I called ATT, all they recommended was to turn off the phone and turn
                                  > it back on. They said this is so the phone can "attach" to a closer
                                  > cell tower. Never worked for me. Unfortunately, the iPhone reception
                                  > is worse than a "normal" ATT cellphone.
                                  >>
                                  >> Verizon has always worked well here though.

                                  - Rohit Rakshe

                                • Tim Y.
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Aug 23, 2008
                                    Verizon worked great in my house (near Voltaire/Aborn). I switched to AT&T for the iPhone and the service has been really bad. Calling AT&T yields nothing. They recommend turning on/off phone and referred me to Apple.

                                    I agree that it's frustrating not being able to make/receive clear calls in the house or around the Evergreen area. There are times when I can't even retrieve my voicemails because there is not enough signal strength.

                                    On the iPhone there is a way to measure the amount of signal ( dBm) from the tower. The closer to zero the better the reception. I read this from http://www.griffintechnology.com/articles/705
                                    They make an antenna booster and has an article that explains this. You call *3001#12345#* and it'll show the signal level on the upper left corner of the iPhones (with 2.0+ sw). I usually average -80 to -100 dBm in my house. Calls are very choppy and drop often when I am in the -80 to -100 range.... At work I get about -60 which is great reception.

                                    Right now, I have five "bars" on my iPhone but -81dBm. Calls are still very choppy. More bars does not mean better reception. AT&T's advertisement of "More bars in more places" is actually deceiving.

                                    A friend came over the other night with his new 3G iphone. I couldn't believe that there was no 3G coverage in or around my house.

                                    Tim

                                    It is true that Verizon works very well in EV. I am using Verizo and it always has full signal in my house.  However, I try to avoid using cell phone at home due to its radiation.       Nowadays, many people get brain cancer and research still try to find out if it is cause by cell phone. I see some peoples are tiring to propose more towers in EV. Do you
                                    mind if a cell phone tower is next to your house?       Thanks, --Susan

                                    Rameysh Ramdas <ramdas02@earthlink. net> wrote: I am also with ATT and stuck with a 2
                                    year contract on my I-Phone that falls silent once I come home L My wife?™s Nokia however at least has average signal strength in some parts of the home to get and receive calls. I called ATT/ Cingular and I was told that the coverage in Evergreen is classified as ?œAverage??and that they do not have any plans for any additional towers. I was advised
                                    to turn off and on the phone for it to detect the signals again. Also, I was told that the model of the phone matters and I-Phones were not on their list so they do not know. I have heard that Verizon works really well in EV- is that true ? Thanks in advance for others to chime in on what works well for EV- esp closer to the hills. Any group petitions to ATT/Cingular ?“I would gladly sign J Cheers, Rameysh From: involvedevergreen@ yahoogroups. com
                                    First question: what is the cause of bad ATT reception? Is it simply
                                    lack of enough towers? (how many do they have? How many should they
                                    have? any details there?)

                                    Secondly, can we influence ATT to fix this? We can probably do this
                                    better as a group than as individuals.

                                    Thanks

                                    On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Augustus Ceasar <vfalcone_1@yahoo. com> wrote:
                                    > This is a great thread as I was just
                                    recently thinking of getting a
                                    > cell phone tower put on my property.... ..I went perusing online and
                                    > did not find much.....
                                    >

                                    > The service is poor in these parts I agree....... .does anyone have any
                                    > info or insight they can relay?
                                    >
                                    > I'm not sure how healthy it can be living right next to one......I
                                    > heard they can make them now that look like trees.....?
                                    >
                                    > VF
                                    >

                                    > --- In involvedevergreen@ yahoogroups. com, "Tim Y." <cranjnk@...> wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >> ATT cell service is really bad around the Aborn / Mosher area. When
                                    > I called ATT, all they recommended was to turn off the phone and turn
                                    > it back on. They said this is so the phone can "attach" to a closer
                                    > cell tower. Never worked for me. Unfortunately, the iPhone reception
                                    > is worse than a "normal" ATT
                                    cellphone.

                                    >> Verizon has always worked well here though.

                                    - Rohit Rakshe
                                  • sangeeta ramakrishnan
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 8, 2009
                                      Reviving this thread to see if there is any change in AT&T coverage in Evergreen (Ruby/Aborn).

                                      I am considering getting an iPhone and am especailly interested in knowing if the 3G iPhones have good coverage here. I had heard from someone that AT&T is focused on improving 3G coverage so with 3G iPhone coverage might be better than with the older iPhones. (Of course what was mentioned by Tim regarding 3G coverage was opposite of this!!)

                                      Anyway interested in hearing from anyone who uses AT&T!

                                      Thanks,
                                      Sangeeta

                                      First question: what is the cause of bad ATT reception? Is it simply
                                      lack of enough towers? (how many do they have? How many should they
                                      have? any details there?)

                                      Secondly, can we influence ATT to fix this? We can probably do this
                                      better as a group than as individuals.

                                      Thanks

                                      On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Augustus Ceasar <vfalcone_1@ yahoo. com> wrote:
                                      > This is a great thread as I was just
                                      recently thinking of getting a
                                      > cell phone tower put on my property.... ..I went perusing online and
                                      > did not find much.....
                                      >

                                      > The service is poor in these parts I agree....... .does anyone have any
                                      > info or insight they can relay?
                                      >
                                      > I'm not sure how healthy it can be living right next to one......I
                                      > heard they can make them now that look like trees.....?
                                      >
                                      > VF
                                      >

                                      > --- In involvedevergreen@ yahoogroups. com, "Tim Y." <cranjnk@... > wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >> ATT cell service is really bad around the Aborn / Mosher area. When
                                      > I called ATT, all they recommended was to turn off the phone and turn
                                      > it back on. They said this is so the phone can "attach" to a closer
                                      > cell tower. Never worked for me. Unfortunately, the iPhone reception
                                      > is worse than a "normal" ATT
                                      cellphone.

                                      >> Verizon has always worked well here though.

                                      - Rohit Rakshe

                                    • Frank Elley
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 9, 2009

                                        In January I had AT&T cable installed. The repairman couldn't call into the office from his ATT&T cell phone. He had to call on our land line, and was very embarrassed about it. So if it's gotten better, it's only been in the last three months. (We live near the intersection of Delta and Mackin Wood.) We have Verizon cell phones and have no problems with them.

                                        First question: what is the cause of bad ATT reception? Is it simply
                                        lack of enough towers? (how many do they have? How many should they
                                        have? any details there?)

                                        Secondly, can we influence ATT to fix this? We can probably do this
                                        better as a group than as individuals.

                                        Thanks

                                        On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Augustus Ceasar <vfalcone_1@ yahoo. com> wrote:
                                        > This is a great thread as I was just
                                        recently thinking of getting a
                                        > cell phone tower put on my property.... ..I went perusing online and
                                        > did not find much.....
                                        >

                                        > The service is poor in these parts I agree....... .does anyone have any
                                        > info or insight they can relay?
                                        >
                                        > I'm not sure how healthy it can be living right next to one......I
                                        > heard they can make them now that look like trees.....?
                                        >
                                        > VF
                                        >

                                        > --- In involvedevergreen@ yahoogroups. com, "Tim Y." <cranjnk@... > wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >> ATT cell service is really bad around the Aborn / Mosher area. When
                                        > I called ATT, all they recommended was to turn off the phone and turn
                                        > it back on. They said this is so the phone can "attach" to a closer
                                        > cell tower. Never worked for me. Unfortunately, the iPhone reception
                                        > is worse than a "normal" ATT
                                        cellphone.

                                        >> Verizon has always worked well here though.

                                        - Rohit Rakshe

                                      • F Lam
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 10, 2009
                                          Sangeeta,

                                          I wouldn't recommend AT&T in our EV area.  We used to have Verizon and they worked fine, after the switch to AT&T with the iPhones, we can hardly receive or place call from home and have to use our land line instead, only in occasion that work with the iPhones, I'd say 90% of the time we have no coverage at all.  We live nearby the Lunardis area.

                                          It was just yesterday we called AT&T and complained about paying the services that we do not receive, and requested that they either reduce our rate or let us cancel the contract without incurring cancellation fee.  They refuse to do neither, and told us at pointblank that we have no option at all at this stage but to continue paying our bill until the contract end, or to incur early cancelation fee if we chose to cancel the contract.

                                          Frances

                                          First question: what is the cause of bad ATT reception? Is it simply
                                          lack of enough towers? (how many do they have? How many should they
                                          have? any details there?)

                                          Secondly, can we influence ATT to fix this? We can probably do this
                                          better as a group than as individuals.

                                          Thanks

                                          On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Augustus Ceasar <vfalcone_1@ yahoo. com> wrote:
                                          > This is a great thread as I was just
                                          recently thinking of getting a
                                          > cell phone tower put on my property.... ..I went perusing online and
                                          > did not find much.....
                                          >

                                          > The service is poor in these parts I agree....... .does anyone have any
                                          > info or insight they can relay?
                                          >
                                          > I'm not sure how healthy it can be living right next to one......I
                                          > heard they can make them now that look like trees.....?
                                          >
                                          > VF
                                          >

                                          > --- In involvedevergreen@ yahoogroups. com, "Tim Y." <cranjnk@... > wrote:
                                          >>
                                          >> ATT cell service is really bad around the Aborn / Mosher area. When
                                          > I called ATT, all they recommended was to turn off the phone and turn
                                          > it back on. They said this is so the phone can "attach" to a closer
                                          > cell tower. Never worked for me. Unfortunately, the iPhone reception
                                          > is worse than a "normal" ATT
                                          cellphone.

                                          >> Verizon has always worked well here though.

                                          - Rohit Rakshe

                                        • F Lam

                                            First question: what is the cause of bad ATT reception? Is it simply
                                            lack of enough towers? (how many do they have? How many should they
                                            have? any details there?)

                                            Secondly, can we influence ATT to fix this? We can probably do this
                                            better as a group than as individuals.

                                            Thanks

                                            On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Augustus Ceasar <vfalcone_1@ yahoo. com> wrote:
                                            > This is a great thread as I was just
                                            recently thinking of getting a
                                            > cell phone tower put on my property.... ..I went perusing online and
                                            > did not find much.....
                                            >

                                            > The service is poor in these parts I agree....... .does anyone have any
                                            > info or insight they can relay?
                                            >
                                            > I'm not sure how healthy it can be living right next to one......I
                                            > heard they can make them now that look like trees.....?
                                            >
                                            > VF
                                            >

                                            > --- In involvedevergreen@ yahoogroups. com, "Tim Y." <cranjnk@... > wrote:
                                            >>
                                            >> ATT cell service is really bad around the Aborn / Mosher area. When
                                            > I called ATT, all they recommended was to turn off the phone and turn
                                            > it back on. They said this is so the phone can "attach" to a closer
                                            > cell tower. Never worked for me. Unfortunately, the iPhone reception
                                            > is worse than a "normal" ATT
                                            cellphone.

                                            >> Verizon has always worked well here though.

                                            - Rohit Rakshe

                                          • S Buchholz
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 10, 2009
                                              Agreed on Verizon vs. AT&T ... it has been 2 years since I had AT&T service though.  We live near EVC, and even have trouble with Verizon inside the house.  AT&T would drop calls even when outside ... and I'm not talking about being in a moving vehicle ...

                                              I've seen someone installing (what I believe are) cell repeaters out near Fowler Creek Park recently ... specifically near Altia and Verona ... I wonder what company was doing this?

                                              I found an interesting website:

                                                  http://www.cellreception.com

                                              This site had a lot of information ... links to the carriers ... some sorts of coverage maps with cell twoer locations ... not sure how up to date the info is ... I didn't see the new towers they added to the power poles down at Yerba Buena and Silver Creek.  They also have individual reports ... but for our area they do not seem to be very recent ...

                                              Steve Buchholz

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 10, 2009
                                                This has been an issue with AT&T service for the last couple or more years. When I bought my home here, I was really impacted as the landline was not there and my corporate cell phone would not work until I walk to fowler creek park. I complained to my Telecom Admin and she wanted me to provide area maps where service is not good. So, I sent her those and she worked with AT&R as we are one of their big clients. They suggested her to replace my phone as well the SIM with a blue SIM which might work better.

                                                We tried that and that did not work either. I was told to buy a house west of 101 to get a better AT&T reception(no kidding guys). I was told that Verizon is better east of 101. I tend to agree as most of my friends who have AT&T suffer and those with Verizon have atleast 3 bars.

                                                Secondly, on 3G. I was told that even within Sunnyvale if you are driving on Sannyvale-Saratoga from 280 to El Camino, the signal is going to Edge (for Data) and the cell phone which use Edge(voice) drop calls. I did test this and experience that personally. My colleague who has an iPhone also shown me at Faultline that his phone has automatically switched to Edge as well at Hobees in Cupertino.

                                                There is a rumor that AT&T is cutting costs (now wonder - economy is doing great isn't it) by not renewing some of the leases for the towers. I think their confidence is that once you have a phone and a two year contract, where will you go. Same may be the case with Verizon too who knows.

                                                Regards,

                                                Sridhar Prasad
                                                .

                                                Disclaimer: The content in this email is my personal opinion based on my personal experiences and equipment used. Your individual experience may vary.

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 10, 2009
                                                  That's very interesting. We have AT&T for our cell phone service and have no problem getting a strong signal from our house. We live across from Evergreen Valley College near Ruby Ave. We've had basically the same service for many years. It started with Pac Bell, which turned into Cingular, and then AT&T took over.

                                                  I did notice that when Lunardis was in business and I was inside the store, that I didn't get a good signal, but I have no problem from my house.

                                                  > This has been an issue with AT&T service for the last
                                                  > couple or more years. When I bought my home here, I was
                                                  > really impacted as the landline was not there and my
                                                  > corporate cell phone would not work until I walk to fowler
                                                  > creek park. I complained to my Telecom Admin and she wanted
                                                  > me to provide area maps where service is not good. So, I
                                                  > sent her those and she worked with AT&R as we are one of
                                                  > their big clients. They suggested her to replace my phone as
                                                  > well the SIM with a blue SIM which might work better.
                                                  >
                                                  > We tried that and that did not work either. I was told to
                                                  > buy a house west of 101 to get a better AT&T
                                                  > reception(no kidding guys). I was told that Verizon is
                                                  > better east of 101. I tend to agree as most of my friends
                                                  > who have AT&T suffer and those with Verizon have atleast
                                                  > 3 bars.
                                                  >
                                                  > Secondly, on 3G. I was told that even within Sunnyvale if
                                                  > you are driving on Sannyvale-Saratoga from 280 to El Camino,
                                                  > the signal is going to Edge (for Data) and the cell phone
                                                  > which use Edge(voice) drop calls. I did test this and
                                                  > experience that personally. My colleague who has an iPhone
                                                  > also shown me at Faultline that his phone has automatically
                                                  > switched to Edge as well at Hobees in Cupertino.
                                                  >
                                                  > There is a rumor that AT&T is cutting costs (now wonder
                                                  > - economy is doing great isn't it) by not renewing some
                                                  > of the leases for the towers. I think their confidence is
                                                  > that once you have a phone and a two year contract, where
                                                  > will you go. Same may be the case with Verizon too who
                                                  > knows.
                                                  >
                                                  > Regards,
                                                  > Sridhar Prasad.
                                                  >
                                                  > Disclaimer: The content in this email is my personal
                                                  > opinion based on my personal experiences and equipment used.
                                                  > Your individual experience may vary.

                                                • Prasad Holagunda

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , May 4, 2009
                                                      Even today it is true of AT&T, if you are near Fowler Creek Park and surrounding areas. The signal is not strong, I get only two bars at the most. Dropping calls is certain on every call if I just start walking in the house.