Re: [involvedevergreen] Octagonal Signs, Red in Color

  • Joey Mariano
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 30, 2013
      Why is there not a 4-way stop on Rue Mirassou and Mosher, and only on Rue Mirassou and Altamara. The extra 4-way stop should alleviate some excessive speeding especially since this is the vehicle entrance to the school, and a busy pedestrian route during school opening and closing?

      On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:45 PM, S C <sc95138@...> wrote:

      There are also plenty of people who fly through (way over 25mph, at least 40?) the lower part of Rue Mirassou from Altamara and Chemin de Riviere after picking up their kids from school. Some are even hugging the right curb, waiting for a kid to fall off the sidewalk ( especially a black S class mercedes, previous generation ).

      And plenty who fly through the BLIND (uphill and 90+degree) right turn from Chemin to Rue Mirassou to drop their kids off at school in the morning. I've had to jump off the street a few times because the cars engine was clearly accelerating and it was clear they were not going to let up on the gas.

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 4, 2013
        True.

        The stop signs at Altamara/Rue Mirassou was actually to allow cars to leave the parking lot. Prior to the stop signs, cars could not leave the parking lot during pick up/drop off times because of the cross traffic and backed up traffic everywhere as cars tried to force (didn't follow the zipper rule) there way around both driveways. I think prior to the stop signs, both driveways were also enter and exit.

        Even with the stop sign on Colonna going onto Rue Mirasou (playground entrance to school) is scary during drop off/pick up as cars get tired of waiting for someone on Rue Mirassou to let them in and force their way in or run the stop sign to take the gap before someone else takes it.  I've seen many near misses and cars stopping the the middle of the road to let their kids off in the middle of traffic.

        --
        Joey Mariano
        408-341-9733
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 8, 2013
          The discussion about stop signs has been valuable and I propose that it suggests a greater, underlying issue - being aware and mindful of priorities. Are the roads we drive merely extensions of our homes or office? Or are they shared spaces that we should be treating as public goods? Is that telephone call so important that it trumps being fully committed to the task of sharing roads and public spaces in a neighborly way?

          If changing behavior is what is desired, then the community has to adopt tried and true methods of promoting behavior change. Those methods start with considering how we educate our children and how we go about our business as adults. This is not a short-term proposition. A few e-mails on a web site won't bring long-lasting change. If these changes that have been discussed are truly important, different tasks and different commitments need to be undertaken and adopted.

          Mike Alvarado
        • luis_barrios2003
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 8, 2013
            hear hear

            very true Mike, besides stop signs are not always honored.

            Luis B.