Re: Fw: Traffic Advisory: 101/Capitol Expressway/Yerba Buena Project

  • matt_wahlin
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 7, 2012
      The overall project is being managed by VTA-- I believe there were links to the project page in the email I forwarded, and it should lead to information on how to contact them with comments or questions...

      -Matt

      --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Prasad <holagundas@...> wrote:

      > Matt,
      >
      > Who should we complain about the lack of planning in closing the carpool lane at the ramp towards 101N. It is a traffic hazard and people try to merge at the last minute can cause accidents.
      >
      > How do we address this issue?
      >

      > Regards,
      > Sridhar Prasad.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Sridhar Prasad
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 7, 2012
        Hi All,

        I happen to speak with Kathleen at VTA, who is working for a Manager who is running this project. She has been very keen at listening to our problem and assured me that she will have the construction teams (includes a PM) take a look at the problem to assess it and find a solution. There are no guarantees yet, but I think this is a good start.

        Regards,
        Sridhar Prasad.

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 8, 2012
          Hi All,

          Here is the update I got from VTA.

          "Hi Sri,

          I spoke with our PM and reviewed the plans with him to understand what you are experiencing.

          The cones you see are set there for safety, as I had suspected, for worker protection while they are in that area to work on the pedestrian sidewalk and paving activities.   The design of how the barriers are set are per design standard, which is set by the State.  The cones are also surface mounted, or glued down.  It doesn’t appear they will be removed any time too soon.  However our PM will review this with the contractor when they meet next week (Wednesday).  This particular phase should be complete by springtime and the cones can be removed – however that is weather permitting.  In order to work on paving/sidewalk we need a good 10 days of dry weather or the ground is too wet to work with, which causes delays.

          The good news is that when this project is complete (the whole project, not just this phase) in 2014, there will be an added lane to the on-ramp so that it will have 2 general purpose lanes and 1 carpool lane.

          If you have any further questions, please feel free to call back on Monday.  If, after the meeting with the contractor next week I learn anything that can change this I will contact you with an update.

          Sincerely,
          Kathleen"

          Regards,
          Sridhar Prasad.

          I happen to speak with Kathleen at VTA, who is working for a Manager who is running this project. She has been very keen at listening to our problem and assured me that she will have the construction teams (includes a PM) take a look at the problem to assess it and find a solution. There are no guarantees yet, but I think this is a good start.

          Regards,
          Sridhar Prasad.

          The overall project is being managed by VTA-- I believe there were links to the project page in the email I forwarded, and it should lead to information on how to contact them with comments or questions...

          -Matt

          --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Prasad <holagundas@...> wrote:

          > Matt,
          >
          > Who should we complain about the lack of planning in closing the carpool lane at the ramp towards 101N. It is a traffic hazard and people try to merge at the last minute can cause accidents.
          >
          > How do we address this issue?
          >

          > Regards,
          > Sridhar Prasad.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • S Buchholz
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 8, 2012
            Is the Capitol interchange the only route to US 101 North?  Lately I've braved the revamped Tully interchange and have been favorably impressed.  If someone is in a carpool there are carpool lanes along Capitol Expressway in the northbound direction, and it is possible to get to 101 North via the 680 interchange with a carpool lane.  Rather than suffering through the construction area why not explore alternatives?  I know that I have seen a change in traffic patterns for my commute which I believe to be related to the Capitol Interchange construction.

            I am concerned that any adjustments made to respond to complaints like this will cause construction delays and cost increases.  This carpooler from Evergreen would give a thumbs up to closing down the interchange completely if it meant that the work could be completed sooner and at a lower cost.  I don't know how long it will be before the work is done, but I know I can't wait for efficient carpool lanes from Yerba Buena and eastbound Capitol Expressway onto 101 North and a reduction in the backups on 101 South at Capitol / Yerba Buena in the afternoons ...

            Steve Buchholz

          • S C
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 9, 2012
              I have a hard time believing people don't know.....
              How long has the carpool entrance lane been closed.......
              Would a visitor know about the carpool lane?
              There are a lot of people who think their time is more important than everyone else's....
              I think right turn always has right of way over left turn unless left turn has an idicator of right of way such as green arrow.

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 10, 2012
                I second that, I tried taking Tully from Capitol express way and i was surprised as it was faster than merging 101 N from Capitol. The traffic lights in Tully road are synced, once i take left from Capitol to Tully, i can go non stop till the 101 merge.

                On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 11:52 PM, S Buchholz <k1drbar@...> wrote:

                Is the Capitol interchange the only route to US 101 North?  Lately I've braved the revamped Tully interchange and have been favorably impressed.  If someone is in a carpool there are carpool lanes along Capitol Expressway in the northbound direction, and it is possible to get to 101 North via the 680 interchange with a carpool lane.  Rather than suffering through the construction area why not explore alternatives?  I know that I have seen a change in traffic patterns for my commute which I believe to be related to the Capitol Interchange construction.

                I am concerned that any adjustments made to respond to complaints like this will cause construction delays and cost increases.  This carpooler from Evergreen would give a thumbs up to closing down the interchange completely if it meant that the work could be completed sooner and at a lower cost.  I don't know how long it will be before the work is done, but I know I can't wait for efficient carpool lanes from Yerba Buena and eastbound Capitol Expressway onto 101 North and a reduction in the backups on 101 South at Capitol / Yerba Buena in the afternoons ...

                Steve Buchholz

                The overall project is being managed by VTA-- I believe there were links to the project page in the email I forwarded, and it should lead to information on how to contact them with comments or questions...

                -Matt

                --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Prasad <holagundas@...> wrote:

                > Matt,
                >
                > Who should we complain about the lack of planning in closing the carpool lane at the ramp towards 101N. It is a traffic hazard and people try to merge at the last minute can cause accidents.
                >
                > How do we address this issue?
                >

                > Regards,
                > Sridhar Prasad.
                >

                > ________________________________

                 __0/  "A ten thousand miles journey begins
                   /_    with a single step. That single step
                `\/  \,  has to be taken from where you are"

                http://www.kameshraj.com

              • Sridhar Prasad
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 10, 2012
                  Hi,

                  The issue is not of people's moral values or of how to get to 101NB. That is like, me trying to solve world hunger or world peace.

                  The issue is that of how the construction crews can plan better and make it less inconvenient for commuters. I sincerely like to believe that they are doing this project in such an interest only (apart from spending Obama dollars ;)). The project runs all the way until 2014, so having some good planning will ease commuter heartache.

                  Secondly, there are some traffic violations in the current setup itself. I think we cannot cross a white lane in a double line ramp (http://www.mercurynews.com/mr-roadshow/ci_21653693/can-you-cross-solid-white-line-california-road). So, anyone crossing into Carpool lane after coming in the single lane are violators and can be ticketed (frivolous). Carpoolers who come in the right most lane still have to cross this white line to get into carpool lane to make it usable.

                  Third, since the construction started, the carpool lane and non carpool lane alternate the lights irrespective of carpool status. This probably was done after a day or two of evaluation of the traffic pattern to reduce the backup onto Capital Expwy (those who remember the first two days were free for all with no lights on the ramp). There was an incentive in the past to use the carpool lane. It used to be 12 - 15cars/minute before construction for a non carpool lane depending on the carpool traffic. Now I see that every 3 seconds a car is allowed into the freeway irrespective, which makes matters worse as they get clogged up in the 3 to 1 merge just at the merge from Capital east bound traffic coming on to 101NB + Capital westbound going into 101NB. This is also clogging up the free way for people coming from south, as they did not see this clog before the construction until 280 intersection.

                  The job market also has increased the traffic, which is a good thing. But, I digress. So, my ask is that those who are responsible for construction take a good look at this intersection and come up with a good plan as we have to endure it for 2 more years per their website.

                  Sridhar Prasad.