Re:Congrats Matt, the election yesterday

  • Anita
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2008
      Hello All,
      Please join me in congratulating Matt, our tireless moderator, for being elected as a neighborhood commissioner from district 8 of San Jose. For those present at the Evergreen library last night, the caucus was certainly no less fun than those famous ones in Iowa or elsewhere :-)

      What was striking about the caucus was the diversity of the candidates as well as the delegates, who were electing them. Silicon Valley was present in all of its flavors as the representatives of different professions, cultures, age-groups, ethicities and languages came together for their common interest, that of improving our neighborhoods.

      I certainly enjoyed my role, that of the delegate from the Involved Evergreen, as we made history by electing the members of the first neighborhood commission for the city of San Jose. The high point of the night was when there was a repeated tie for the 5th member and the moderator sent all of us delegates into a corner -- it almost felt like we were kids being punished by a teacher for mischief:-) But in those few minutes in that corner, we did come together crossing all the barriers as different people pitched for the most experienced and the least experienced candidate!

      And of course, right after the election, just as politicians do, Matt, the provisional commissioner, refused to recognize me, the ordinary citizen:-)
      Anita

    • matt_wahlin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2008
        Anita,

        Well I am certainly going to do so now!! :^) I think we all owe a
        real round of thanks to Anita, and our alternate delegate, Joanna
        Bateman, for taking the time to help out in the election process.
        Three full commissioners and two alternates were elected on Thursday
        night and I was just one of them, and it was up to Anita to carefully
        evaluate which of the candidate would best represent not just our
        interests, but those of ALL the neighborhoods in the entire district.
        And kudos to Joanna and our founder, Rose Herrera, for being there
        and participating in the caucus process and talking to all of the
        candidates. Even if they weren't voting on the final selections, I
        think the free-form question-and-answer format of the caucus itself
        made this a really democratic (and exciting) process. I am excited
        about the opportunity to work with the other Commissioners
        representing District 8, and look forward to representing all of you!

        -Matt

        --- In involvedevergreen@yahoogroups.com, "Anita "<an@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        > Please join me in congratulating Matt, our tireless moderator, for
        being elected as a neighborhood commissioner from district 8 of San
        Jose. For those present at the Evergreen library last night, the
        caucus was certainly no less fun than those famous ones in Iowa or
        elsewhere :-)

        > What was striking about the caucus was the diversity of the
        candidates as well as the delegates, who were electing them. Silicon
        Valley was present in all of its flavors as the representatives of
        different professions, cultures, age-groups, ethicities and languages
        came together for their common interest, that of improving our
        neighborhoods.

        > I certainly enjoyed my role, that of the delegate from the Involved
        Evergreen, as we made history by electing the members of the first
        neighborhood commission for the city of San Jose. The high point of
        the night was when there was a repeated tie for the 5th member and
        the moderator sent all of us delegates into a corner -- it almost
        felt like we were kids being punished by a teacher for mischief:-)
        But in those few minutes in that corner, we did come together
        crossing all the barriers as different people pitched for the most
        experienced and the least experienced candidate!

        > And of course, right after the election, just as politicians do,
        Matt, the provisional commissioner, refused to recognize me, the
        ordinary citizen:-)
        > Anita

      • Rameysh Ramdas
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2008

          Hi Matt,

          My congratulations too on a well deserved opportunity to represent us and thanks for stepping up to help the community.

          I look forward to Rose Herrera being our representative on the SJ City Council as well with tomorrow’s vote-we are fortunate in having someone run for the seat who is talented ,committed to our community and worthy of stepping into Dave Cortese’s shoes on Day 1 at the City Council with an intrinsic and proven understanding of what we need here in EV.

          And, of course, we need Dave Cortese in the SC County Board to be our champion for EV at the county level.

          Regards,

          Rameysh