Sep 12 Meeting Update

  • rose_herrera23
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2007

      Thanks to all of the hundreds of people who showed up at the meeting on Wednesday Sep 12. at Evergreen Village Square. We heard from the City of San Jose and Shapell and were able to ask our questions. There is a lot of follow up that needs to be done. The community can play a significant role in determining the outcome of Evergreen Village Square.  It is crucial that the community stay involved if we are to continue to keep this issue on the front burner.

      What we Learned:

      Shapell will not proceed with the development of Evergreen Village Square until the City confirms that there will not be a grocery store exceeding 20,000 Sq ft at the Evergreen College Site.

      The Gateway signs to Evergreen village Square, underway for 5 years  have been approved by the city and could be  under construction by Shapell within 2 months.

      Shapell and Lunardi's are talking with some potential tenants for Evergreen Village Square.

      Shapell has signed up The Pacific Coast Farmers Market to come to Evergreen Village Square. final site at the Square to be determined. Where do you think it should be located at the square?

      The Owners of the Mirrasou site are talking with developers who would like to build residential units and retail at the Mirrasou site. This would include maintaining some of the historic buildings. This project has not been approved. There will be an opportunity for public input in December during the general plan sessions.

      Community Action Items

      Shop at Evergreen Village Square. The businesses will only be there if we vote with our dollars.

      Let our City council know that we support a restriction in the general plan coming up in December to limit the size of any future grocery store at the Evergreen Valley College site to 20,000 square feet. Shapell stated that the potential of a large store at that site deters great grocery store tenants from coming to Evergreen Village Square. The prospect of a large grocery store at that site is stopping Shapell from completing the development of Evergeen Square. Let's put this issue to bed. Our group will be actively working on this since it is so critical to accomplishing the goal of getting a good grocery store and completing the center.

      Continue to contact grocery stores you would like to see come to Evergreen Village Square via their web sites and request that they have a store in our location.

      Get involved in this group. we need people to help with various aspects of building and maintaining this community effort.