Re: [involvedevergreen] Re: Fresh & Easy

  • AA
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 31, 2008
      Hello Steve,
      I'm glad you've asked the question (What are things people of Involved Evergreen would participate on a regular basis were it located in our square?) because my husband and I were discussing certain things that might help vitalize the square.  There needs to be an attraction that doesn't just draw the neighborhood to the square but also people from other parts of SJ.  The following are suggestions:

      1. a restaurant that caters to families and serves quality/tasty meals
      2. a play gym for babies/kids
      3.  Jamba Juice (I know that Jamba is located everywhere, but if it was located in the square, I would definitely visit the area more often.)

      Anne

      k1drbar <k1drbar@...> wrote:
      Well, now that it is in print in the Murky News, everyone should know
      that we will not be getting that new Tesco shop in our center. I
      forwarded a similar message on 1/30, but for some reason it has yet to
      make it to the members of this group ...

      Funny, I've heard people ask why the only solution being discussed is
      a grocery store. There is talk that Safeway is considering stores at
      20,000 square feet, which qualify under the new limits set for the EVC
      development; perhaps that will be the next roadblock put forth by
      Shapell. We know that even with a large number of requests to their
      website that TJ's isn't interested. Is there some other business
      which might be successful given the current conditions? I still have
      not forgiven our city council representative for not following through
      on recreational replacements for the lost Eastridge Ice Arena, perhaps
      something like a Planet Beach or Sky High sports would be something
      that might succeed here.

      What are things that the people of InvolvedEvergreen would participate
      in on a regular basis were it located in our square? Perhaps we
      should create a list and take a poll.

      Steve B
      Mr. Negative
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ groups/Evergreen OpenForum

    • Ajaya Gummadi
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 4, 2008
        Shapell/Oppenheimer have been sitting on a proposal for a Bakery Cafe in the 4500 SQ. Ft. next to Burrito Azteca for a year now. Around the same time another proposal was submitted to the City of Cupertino. City of Cupertino acted far more professionally and in a timely manner resulting in that Bakery cafe having been in Operations since August 2007 as opposed to the combo we have to deal with called Shapell/City of San Jose.

        These folks may speak about developing this area but their actions are contrary to their spoken word.

        Ajaya

        k1drbar <k1drbar@...> wrote:
[...]

        Have a Great Day...Ajaya
      • Deepa Prashant

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 14, 2008

            I have no idea if this has had any impact on any of the deals, as obviously Fresh & Easy is opening other San Jose stores, but here’s something a friend of mine told me about San Jose . He works for a developer who does builds retail places in San Jose . When they were trying to get approvals for one development, San Jose made it pretty clear that they wouldn’t get their permits—or it would take forever and a day to get the permits--if they allowed any non-union businesses into their project. Apparently, the unions have the San Jose government in their pockets. I don’t remember all the details—and my friend is as honest as they come, so trust his word on this—but I do remember being amazed and truly disillusioned at the way the City of SJ operates. So who knows what the City is doing with regards to this project. A J

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 28, 2008
              Not to be one to 1.) live in the past or 2.) be negative, BUT while
              visiting Arizona this week I decided to stop into a local Fresh &
              Easy. While the prices were definatley low...and there was a variety
              of prepackaged frozen and refrigerated prepared foods...I did not care
              for the atmosphere (very warehouse like) and the check-out was all
              automated...Yikes! I think there are better opportunities for our
              center out there...and hope that we can get something soon!