7-9nov:: Celebrating 20 Years of Jeevanshalas in the Narmada Valley

  • OpenSpace
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2011

      From: Yogini <yogini.narmada@...>

      Celebrating 20 Years of Jeevanshalas in the Narmada Valley

      SATPUDA  YOUTH  CARNIVAL  AND  YOUTH CAMP

      Resolve of the Youth power, emerging from the Jeevanshalas

      Youth Carnival on 7th November

      Youth Camp on 8th and 9th November

      Friends,

      Greetings from the Narmada Valley…. As you all know, the Jeevanshalas (life-schools) in the Sardar Sarovar Dam-affected hilly adivasi villages of Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh began as a campaign of the village communities themselves to impart education to their children and as an alternative to the corrupt government schools functioning only on paper. The first school was started at village Manibeli in 1991 and as on date, thousands of children have passed out of the 13 Jeevanshalas in the states of Maharashtra, M.P. and Gujarat. Learning upto 4th Standard in Maharashtra and 5th Standard in M.P., hundreds of children have taken to higher studies in towns and cities like Dhule, Malegaon, Amalner, Chopada, Dondaicha, Nandurbar, Karjan, Badwani, Alirajpiur, Sendhwa etc.

      Being run under the banner of Narmada Nav Nirman Abhiyan, the Jeevanshalas have now successfully completed 20 years, as the struggle in the Narmada valley itself continues to march ahead, beyond 25 years. The first batch of learners have passed out and have completed BA, B.Sc, MA, M.Sc, B.ED, Agricultural Science, many have excelled in the field of sports, while others have become teachers and activists themselves. Many of these youngsters, who have risen from the adivasi communities in the Satpuda ranges of the Narmada valley are to this day, actively associated with the struggle in the valley and are asserting their right to development; as a truly democratic process that reflects the rights of the adivasis, their quest for justice and equity, by retaining their culture and relation with natural resources.

      Beyond cherishing our relationship with these youngsters, we are keen to nourish it further into a more sustained resource-base for larger, just social transformation in the Narmada valley and in the country. It is with this long-standing thought in mind that we have planned to bring together the alumni of all the Jeevanshalas through a Youth Carnival on the 7th of November, followed by a Training Camp for all the youth on the 8th and 9th of November in the lap of Satpudas, at Dhadgaon Tehsil Place, District Nandurbar, Maharashtra. The main purpose of these gatherings is also to remind the youth that our learning, our education is for the society, for positive, pro-people change. We all, who believe in the process of Andolan and are in fact the Andolan ourselves, shall go ahead with the struggle for the rights of the people. It is towards this end that all students of the Jeevanshalas, activists, teachers, even those who have become government servants, shall resolve to be torch-bearers of the struggle, through reconstruction.

      We are deeply indebted to many of you, who have been part of this process, over the years, inspiring the youngsters in the valley, supporting their learning through in-kind and financial resources, training inputs, etc. We would love to have you with us on this momentous occasion. Kindly do make it possible to come to Dhadgaon and encourage the youth and the struggling adivasi community. The Camp shall be joined in by thousands of young people from the valley, led by those who have passed out of the Jeevanshalas, activists and others from various village communities.

           Let us come together in thousands…Let us rekindle the fire of youth power

      Keshav Vasave

      Chetan Salve

      Bhagirath

      Medha Patkar

      Narpat Bijya

      Kailash Awasya

      Siyaram Padvi

      Vijay Valvi

      Batesing Pawra

      Yogini

      Dilvar Padvi

      Tukaram Pawra

      Contact:

      NBA Dhadgaon office

      02595-202145

      Chetan Salve

      09420375730

      Latika

      9423908123

      Batesing Pawra 9421889851

      Vijay Valvi 9420601461 / 9423563541

      Directions to reach Dhadgaon: The nearest railhead from Dhadgaon is Dondaicha (Ahmedabad – Howrah Railway line, 3 hours away), Chalisgaon (Howrah – Mumbai Line, 4.5 hours), Nandurbar or Dhule (3 hours away), Bharuch / Ankaleshwar (4.5 hours away), Manmad, 5 hours). From any of these rail stations come by bus to SHAHADA and then change for Dhadgaon by another state corporation bus or share-taxi. Dhadgaon is 2 hours roadride from Shahada. Please feel free to call us for any queries. Prior confirmation will enable better arrangements.