of interest?

  • Fast Ed
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
      Doing a bit of googling the other day I came across this (I guess the rest
      of you have probably found it too)

      http://home.earthlink.net/~davidrolfe/trivia.htm

      hmm, any thoughts on how we might assemble this?

      My immediate concerns are the INSERT lines which I guess are similar to
      #include directives. In which case we will need the header files concerned
      (or have some very good guesses)

      Ian
    • Joseph Zbiciak
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
        Fast Ed [fasted@...] wrote:
        | Doing a bit of googling the other day I came across this (I guess the rest
        | of you have probably found it too)
        |
        | http://home.earthlink.net/~davidrolfe/trivia.htm
        |
        | hmm, any thoughts on how we might assemble this?

        To assemble the example, you need several bits:

        -- Mattel's assembler (which I believe was called MX1600, but I could
        be wrong),

        -- The header files, such as SWELL and so on. (And yes, INSERT does
        copy in a source file in the same manner as #include in C).

        -- The other support files that go with the assembler.

        You see, Mattel's assembler was a damn sight more sophisticated than the
        'as1600' that I have in SDK-1600. It supported macros, for one,
        as well as an actual linking step, so that you could link several
        object files together instead of putting it all in one file as I
        do now. Also, I think it supported assigning addresses to variables
        automagically as part of the linking phase, rather than the tedious
        process I currently employ for my own games.

        If the BSRs ever release their tools (seems unlikely at this point), then
        we'll be able to build the example on Rolfe's site. Otherwise, we won't.

        Ah well.

        From what I recall, the original tools were written in a language
        called BLISS, and were compiled to run on either a VAX or a PDP-11
        (I forget which).

        Regards,

        --Joe

        Joseph Zbiciak http://www.primenet.com/~im14u2c/ Not your average "Joe"
        R$+@$=W <-- sendmail.cf {$/{{.+ <-- modem noise
        !@#!@@! <-- Mr. Dithers swearing Zbiciak <-- Joe's last name
        ---------------------- Member of the Intellivisionaries ----------------------
      • Fisher, Joseph
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
          From what I recall, the original tools were written in a language
          called BLISS, and were compiled to run on either a VAX or a PDP-11
          (I forget which).

          Coincidence? Or is this where the Bliss name came from? Or is it
          just the sheer bliss of playing Intellivision?

          -Joe
        • Evil
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
            Kyle will have to answer that one - he came up with the name before I started helping him.  I knew of the language BLISS, but had no idea that it was used for the original tools.

            -Jesse

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 5, 2002
              > | Doing a bit of googling the other day I came across this (I guess the
              rest
              > | of you have probably found it too)
              > |
              > | http://home.earthlink.net/~davidrolfe/trivia.htm
              > |
              > | hmm, any thoughts on how we might assemble this?
              >
              > To assemble the example, you need several bits:
              >
              > -- Mattel's assembler (which I believe was called MX1600, but I could
              > be wrong),
              >
              > -- The header files, such as SWELL and so on. (And yes, INSERT does
              > copy in a source file in the same manner as #include in C).
              >
              > -- The other support files that go with the assembler.
              >
              > You see, Mattel's assembler was a damn sight more sophisticated than the
              > 'as1600' that I have in SDK-1600. It supported macros, for one,
              > as well as an actual linking step, so that you could link several
              > object files together instead of putting it all in one file as I
              > do now. Also, I think it supported assigning addresses to variables
              > automagically as part of the linking phase, rather than the tedious
              > process I currently employ for my own games.

              automagically - Not heard of that before, but I like the phrase, very
              descriptive

              How come you know so much about the tool set?

              > If the BSRs ever release their tools (seems unlikely at this point), then
              > we'll be able to build the example on Rolfe's site. Otherwise, we won't.
              >
              > Ah well.
              >
              > From what I recall, the original tools were written in a language
              > called BLISS, and were compiled to run on either a VAX or a PDP-11
              > (I forget which).

              Of course you can get VAX and PDP emulators for the PC. Therefore we could
              have

              A PC emulating a PDP emulating an Intellivision playing a game (which I
              guess could be an emulation)

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 5, 2002
                Fast Ed [fasted@...] wrote:
                | > You see, Mattel's assembler was a damn sight more sophisticated than the
                | > 'as1600' that I have in SDK-1600. It supported macros, for one,
                | > as well as an actual linking step, so that you could link several
                | > object files together instead of putting it all in one file as I
                | > do now. Also, I think it supported assigning addresses to variables
                | > automagically as part of the linking phase, rather than the tedious
                | > process I currently employ for my own games.
                |
                | automagically - Not heard of that before, but I like the phrase, very
                | descriptive

                I'm not sure where I heard it first, but I can't take credit for
                inventing it.

                | How come you know so much about the tool set?

                In part, from speaking in person with David Rolfe. He wrote the
                EXEC, Baseball, BlackJack and Poker, and Beamrider, amongst other
                things. :-)

                | > From what I recall, the original tools were written in a language
                | > called BLISS, and were compiled to run on either a VAX or a PDP-11
                | > (I forget which).
                |
                | Of course you can get VAX and PDP emulators for the PC. Therefore we could
                | have
                |
                | A PC emulating a PDP emulating an Intellivision playing a game (which I
                | guess could be an emulation)

                Strictly speaking, of course, the PDP wasn't emulating the Intellivision,
                it was just assembling code for it. :-)

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 6, 2002

                  | automagically - Not heard of that before,  but I like the phrase, very
                  | descriptive

                  >> I'm not sure where I heard it first, but I can't take credit for
                  >> inventing it.
                  It's a very very old phrase...  I first heard it 12 years ago from some mainframe/data-processing gurus, who (judging from some old documentation) had been using it for at least another decade or two prior to that.

                  Out of curiosity, I checked the hacker's dictionary, which said "This term is quite old, going back at least to the mid-70s in jargon and probably much earlier. The word `automagic' occurred in advertising (for a shirt-ironing gadget) as far back as the late 1940s."

                  -J

                • Kyle Davis
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 7, 2002
                    I just arrived back from Christmas vacation and I can tell you that the name was a total coincidence.  I originally used the name "Bliss" simply because of, as Joe put it, "just the sheer bliss of playing the Intellivision".  And indeed that it is...  :-)

                    I have another surprise for you all after the break.  See if you can guess what the attached picture indicates.  :-)

                    Kyle

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 7, 2002
                      > That you have too much  free time? ;)  hehehehe  Seriously, tho, if that's what it
                      > looks like, when were you working on that?  You just told us a few weeks ago that
                      > you didn't even have time to work on Bliss.

                      Shortly after that, I got a wild hair and ran with this idea.  It's exactly what you think it is:  an Intellivision emulator for the Gameboy Advance.  The CPU is fully emulated and the STIC is about 75% emulated.  The memory bus is a hack-job just to get something working.  It's kind of just a "prototype" right now so that I could explore the performance gap I'd have to leap to get fully playable Intellivision emulation from the 16mhz ARM processor in the GBA.  Suffice it to say that it's far too slow written in C as it is, but I'm currently rewriting the CPU core in assembly and that should give me a better idea of how much work needs to be done.

                      Kyle
                       I have another surprise for you all after the break.  See if you can guess what the attached picture indicates.  :-)
                      That you have too much  free time? ;)  hehehehe  Seriously, tho, if that's what it looks like, when were you working on that?  You just told us a few weeks ago that you didn't even have time to work on Bliss.

                      In other non-Inty news, I just wanted to share this with you guys, as most of the people on this list will prolly find this interesting, and many probably know about it already.   It's a server that runs a C++ bot competition.  My first robot, Spunky75, debuted at #22 on the list!  And he's all of 112 lines of code.  Check it out to bring out the aggressive programmer in you :)

                      -Joe

                    • Fisher, Joseph

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 7, 2002
                          Nice!  Can we get a pic of the wild hair? ;)  Is there anything like the Intellicart for the GBA that'll allow portable Inty-ing?  Or is it still limited to emus on the PC?

                              -Joe

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 7, 2002
                            That first I sent a few messages ago was it, shown running in the VisualBoyAdvance emulator.

                            You can buy the equivalent of the Intellicart for the GBA.  The most widely used product for this is the Flash Advance Linker available for $119.  It's most often used for development and for ripping games from existing commercial cartridges and playing copies of ripped games on a real GBA.  You can find it at the following URL.

                            Unfortunately, I'll never be able to deploy the GBA emulator as a finished, ready-to-load product because the program must be combined with the Exec ROM, GROM, and some cartridge ROMs which I obviously can't distribute.  Thus any potential users would have to know how to compile GameBoy Advance games so that they can compile these other ROMs as resources and link them in with the emulator.  That limits its audience to such a small group of people, it's almost not worth the effort <sigh>.  Nonetheless, I do it because it's fascinating to me.  :-)

                            Kyle

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 7, 2002
                              them in with the emulator.  That limits its audience to such a small group of people, it's almost not worth the effort <sigh>.  Nonetheless, I do it because it's fascinating to me.  :-)

                                      Isn't that why we all do it? ;)  While we all love the Inty, no one's going to get rich writing emulators for it.

                                          -Joe
                            • Carl Mueller
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 8, 2002
                                You should've have known there was no "performance gap" to explore... If
                                I've got a near fully working Intellivision emulator on the GameBoy Color's
                                stripped down 2 mHz Z-80 processor, it should be a "breeze" on the 16 mHz
                                ARM, right? ;) Sorry, just wanted to brag a bit...

                                Of course, I've got the same problems of distribution...

                                Incidentally, does anyone know if the Z-80 inside the Colecovision is a
                                full-fledged Z-80 (two sets of registers, 16-bit reads/writes, etc)? It may
                                sound absurd, but I'm pretty sure w/ the technology I invented, the Coleco
                                could emulate quite a few Intellivision games. In fact, probably better
                                than the GameBoy Color does. Boy, that would be wild.

                                Carl

                                At 09:08 AM 01/07/2002 -0700, you wrote:

                                >> That you have too much free time? ;) hehehehe Seriously, tho, if that's
                                >what it
                                >> looks like, when were you working on that? You just told us a few weeks
                                >ago that
                                >> you didn't even have time to work on Bliss.
                                >
                                >Shortly after that, I got a wild hair and ran with this idea. It's exactly
                                >what you think it is: an Intellivision emulator for the Gameboy Advance.
                                >The CPU is fully emulated and the STIC is about 75% emulated. The memory
                                >bus is a hack-job just to get something working. It's kind of just a
                                >"prototype" right now so that I could explore the performance gap I'd have
                                >to leap to get fully playable Intellivision emulation from the 16mhz ARM
                                >processor in the GBA. Suffice it to say that it's far too slow written in C
                                >as it is, but I'm currently rewriting the CPU core in assembly and that
                                >should give me a better idea of how much work needs to be done.
                                >
                                >Kyle
                              • Joseph Zbiciak
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 8, 2002
                                  Carl Mueller [carljr@...] wrote:

                                  | You should've have known there was no "performance gap" to explore... If
                                  | I've got a near fully working Intellivision emulator on the GameBoy Color's
                                  | stripped down 2 mHz Z-80 processor, it should be a "breeze" on the 16 mHz
                                  | ARM, right? ;) Sorry, just wanted to brag a bit...
                                  |
                                  | Of course, I've got the same problems of distribution...
                                  |
                                  | Incidentally, does anyone know if the Z-80 inside the Colecovision is a
                                  | full-fledged Z-80 (two sets of registers, 16-bit reads/writes, etc)?

                                  I don't know about the specific features of the Z-80 (it's one of the
                                  CPUs I *haven't* learned), but I do know that it was a pretty typical
                                  Zilog Z-80 on the board. The Coleco predates the era of "IP cores"
                                  leading to the plethora of embedded Z-80, 68K and 6502 clones.

                                  | It may
                                  | sound absurd, but I'm pretty sure w/ the technology I invented, the Coleco
                                  | could emulate quite a few Intellivision games. In fact, probably better
                                  | than the GameBoy Color does. Boy, that would be wild.

                                  The one thing the Coleco won't be able to do is side-scrolling.
                                  The TMS9918 VDP lacks display scrolling support. (That was added
                                  in later follow-on devices, notably the ones that ended up in the
                                  NES 8-bit systems.)

                                  Otherwise, if you don't mind the game being squashed a little
                                  horizontally, it should work out just fine. :-)

                                  For the curious: The 9918 VDP has a 256x192 display resolution,
                                  as compared to the STIC's 160x96 resolution for background cards,
                                  and 160x192 resolution when using "hi-res" sprites. So, to display
                                  sprites at full resolution, you'd just display in the middle 160
                                  columns, with 48 pixel gaps on the sides. Alternately, if the game
                                  doesn't use hi-res sprites, you could squash on both axes, and your
                                  game would appear in a 160x96 window on the screen.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 8, 2002
                                    I thought about your emu after I wrote that email. Didn't the Gameboy Color
                                    actually have an 8mhz Z-80 that could drop to 4mhz to emulate the original
                                    Gameboy? I seem to remember this from way back when I was looking at
                                    writing a Gameboy Color emulator. I'm not trying to diminish your feat,
                                    however, as squeezing Intellivision emulation into even an 8mhz Z-80 is
                                    still a much more impressive feat than getting it playable on a 16mhz ARM.
                                    :-)

                                    The CPU in the ColecoVision is actually a Z-80A running at 3.58mhz. The
                                    Z-80 was produced in 4 flavors, differing only by the maximum clock speed.
                                    The original Z-80 was limited to 2.5mhz, the Z-80A could run at up to 4mhz,
                                    the Z-80B was designed to run at up to 6mhz, and the custom Z-80 in the
                                    Gameboy Color could switch between 4mhz and 8mhz. They are all functionally
                                    identical so you should have the exact same registers in the ColecoVision
                                    you had available to you in the GameBoy Color.

                                    Kyle