intelliwiki down

  • Rick Reynolds
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2011
      I believe the Intelliwiki is having issues again (http://intelliwiki.kylesblog.com). It had trouble before, but I think Kyle stepped in and fixed it. Hopefully he can fix it again.

      BTW, by "having issues" I mean I can't view it at all. :)

      Thanks,
      Rick Reynolds
      --
      Win95 is not a virus; a virus does something.
    • Joe Zbiciak
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 4, 2011
        Rick,

        Kyle just sent me a full backup of IntelliWiki.  :-)  Who was it that was trying to mirror IntelliWiki here on the list?

        I should figure out how to host a MediaWiki myself.  A new project for the weekend, eh?

        --Joe

        --
        We sell Spatulas, and that's all!
        http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 4, 2011
            David,

            Awesome!  And I assume you meant intellivision.us without the missing 'i' in "vision".  ;-)

            One thing's for sure, we need to set up the new MediaWiki to only allow edits from registered users.  That should slake the spamming problem, I'd think.  So I guess it'd be "wiki.intellivision.us"?  Or "intelliwiki.intellivision.us"?  Whatever we decide, Kyle's offered to put a redirect to the new home from the existing address.

            --Joe

            http://spatula-city.org/%7Eim14u2c/

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 4, 2011
              The wiki is now up at:

              wiki.intellivision.us

              If you want the ability to edit pages, please let me know so I can make you an administrator.

              Arnauld and DZ, your IDs are already setup with the same password.

              Thanks, David

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
                Thank you so much! If I find that I have anything worthwhile to contribute, I'll ask for ability to edit/create pages. For now, I'm just starting down the road of trying to learn how to write a game for INTV.

                Thanks,
                Rick Reynolds
                --
                "Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once." -- Woody Allen

                On Mar 5, 2011, at 12:23 AM, David Harley wrote:

                > The wiki is now up at:
                >
                > wiki.intellivision.us
                >
                > If you want the ability to edit pages, please let me know so I can make you an administrator.
                >
                > Arnauld and DZ, your IDs are already setup with the same password.
                >
                > Thanks, David
                >

                > On 3/4/2011 11:03 AM, Joe Zbiciak wrote:
                >

                >> Rick,
                >>
                >> Kyle just sent me a full backup of IntelliWiki. :-) Who was it that was trying to mirror IntelliWiki here on the list?
                >>
                >> I should figure out how to host a MediaWiki myself. A new project for the weekend, eh?
                >>
                >> --Joe
                >>
                >> --
                >> We sell Spatulas, and that's all!
                >> http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/
                >> http://sdk-1600.spatula-city.org/
                >> http://spacepatrol.info/

              • DZ-Jay
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
                  Rick,
                  I isolated the (very simple) game engine I made for Pac-Man into a straight-forward module. I was planning on writing a tutorial on how to build an Intellivision game engine and use mine as a case to dissect, but I haven't gotten around to do so. My hope was to help other beginners jump right into their own games.

                  In the meantime, let me know if you are interested in it, I can send you the source and explain how to use it. It's not a big deal, and it is definitely not the best approach for all games, but it implements a simple state machine which is perfectly capable for many types of games. It is also at the heart of Christmas Carol, so at least it's "proven" effective. :)

                  dZ.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
                    Thanks much for that! I would be interested in the engine. The game I have in mind might do well to use some of that work - it's a top-down move around a grid kind of game.

                    Thanks,
                    Rick Reynolds
                    --
                    "When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words 'uh oh', it's already too late." -- anonymous Mother in Austin, TX

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
                      How about putting this in the Wiki? I would love to see it also.

                      Thanks, David

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
                        I will, eventually. I still need to clean it up, comment it a bit more, and write some instructions for it.

                        dZ.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
                          I notice that the game pages aren't populated. Is that an import problem, or were these pages not populated on the original wiki?

                          Thanks,
                          Rick Reynolds
                          --
                          "Machines should work. People should think." -- Richard Hamming

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
                            Rick,

                            I'm pretty sure they were never populated, except with spam.

                            --Joe

                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
                              Rick, I just finished going through the database and cleaned out all the
                              spam I could. There may be some that I missed but a majority has been
                              wiped out.

                              I did look at the games before the clean up process and it had spam in it.

                              The database went from 53mb in size to 18mb.

                              David

                              On 3/5/2011 2:07 PM, Rick Reynolds wrote:
                              > I notice that the game pages aren't populated. Is that an import problem, or were these pages not populated on the original wiki?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > Rick Reynolds
                            • David Harley
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
                                Joe, would you do me a favor and check out the wiki for one last time? I
                                just cleaned up all the tables and I want to make sure everything is
                                still working correctly.

                                Thanks, David
                              • Rick Reynolds
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
                                  I'd be happy to volunteer to fill in some content for some (many? all?) of the games on the wiki. But it isn't clear to me what content we really want there. The intellivisionlives.com site really has lots of cool info on each of the games already. And I'm not keen on scraping their site and just republishing their content.

                                  Maybe each game article could have a link to the intellivisionlives site's article and then we could add any other material we like (??). Specifically, I'd love to see images of screenshots, overlays, boxes, etc. There is also a lot of info on each game at intvfunhouse.com. And I'm trying to add my own Intellivision content at my website: http://www.rickandviv.net/index.php/intellivision-games-on-an-arcade-cabinet.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Rick Reynolds
                                  --
                                  "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." -- Thorin Oakenshield

                                  On Mar 5, 2011, at 3:35 PM, David Harley wrote:

                                  > Rick, I just finished going through the database and cleaned out all the
                                  > spam I could. There may be some that I missed but a majority has been
                                  > wiped out.
                                  >
                                  > I did look at the games before the clean up process and it had spam in it.
                                  >
                                  > The database went from 53mb in size to 18mb.
                                  >
                                  > David
                                  >

                                  > On 3/5/2011 2:07 PM, Rick Reynolds wrote:
                                  >> I notice that the game pages aren't populated. Is that an import problem, or were these pages not populated on the original wiki?
                                  >>
                                  >> Thanks,
                                  >> Rick Reynolds

                                • vthokies92
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 6, 2011