Re: [intvprog] RE: Stonix (the only criticism here?)

  • Ryan Kinnen
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 1, 2004

      > 1. When you are playing a one player game, the right controller should
      > not be active.  This really messing things up when the baby (or
      > someone else) grabs that controller.  But at least it is not as bad as
      > pinball where both controllers are active for both players at the same
      > time, so the other player always messes with you.  Why was it decided
      > to do it this way?

      Actually, I've always liked this feature of many intellivision games.
      Bad intellivision controllers are very commonplace. I've occasionally
      found it convenient to be able to use the right controller on an
      intellivision where the left one is bad. (The left controller is
      usually more likely to be worn out than the right.)

      Ryan
    • Joe Zbiciak
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 1, 2004
        Ryan Kinnen [ryan@...] wrote:

        | > 1. When you are playing a one player game, the right controller should
        | > not be active.  This really messing things up when the baby (or
        | > someone else) grabs that controller.  But at least it is not as bad as
        | > pinball where both controllers are active for both players at the same
        | > time, so the other player always messes with you.  Why was it decided
        | > to do it this way?
        | >

        | Actually, I've always liked this feature of many intellivision games.
        | Bad intellivision controllers are very commonplace. I've occasionally
        | found it convenient to be able to use the right controller on an
        | intellivision where the left one is bad. (The left controller is
        | usually more likely to be worn out than the right.)

        Agree!

        This feature is also convenient for us emulator authors. :-) Take a
        look at the default keyboard mapping for jzIntv, INTVPC and others...

        Incidentally, the *lack* of this feature in Beamrider makes it a little
        more annoying to play in jzIntv for me.

        Regards,

        --Joe

        Joseph Zbiciak http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/ Not your average "Joe"
        R$+@$=W <-- sendmail.cf {$/{{.+ <-- modem noise
        !@#!@@! <-- Mr. Dithers swearing Zbiciak <-- Joe's last name
        --------- Program Intellivision! http://SDK-1600.spatula-city.org/ ----------
      • Joe Fisher
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 1, 2004
          > | > 1. When you are playing a one player game, the right controller should
          > | > not be active. This really messing things up when the baby (or
          > | > someone else) grabs that controller. But at least it is not as bad as
          > | > pinball where both controllers are active for both players at the same
          > | > time, so the other player always messes with you. Why was it decided
          > | > to do it this way?

          In addition to what everyone else said, it also allows you an advantage in
          certain games. On the Inty controllers, you can't use the keypad and disc
          at the same time. If you play a game like Tron and the Deadly Discs, you
          use the disc to run and the keypad to fire your disc. If you use one
          controller, you have to stop running to fire your disc. If you use two
          controllers, you run with one and fire with the other, and you can do both
          at the same time. Slick :)

          -Joe
        • David Harley
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 1, 2004
            My turn :)

            1) Enough said on this topic.

            2) We thought about shrink wrapping the boxes. It was decided not to as we want people to enjoy the game, manual and overlay.  Sorry to the collectors who prefer them shrink wrapped but we hope you enjoy the entire package.

            The IntelligentVision team

            p.s. We actually thought we were doing the collectors a favor. Imagine having to buy two; one for the shelf and one to open. :)

            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 1, 2004
              David Harley [dharley@...] wrote:
              | My turn :)
              |
              | 1) Enough said on this topic.
              |
              | 2) We thought about shrink wrapping the boxes. It was decided not to
              | as we want people to enjoy the game, manual and overlay. Sorry to
              | the collectors who prefer them shrink wrapped but we hope you
              | enjoy the entire package.

              You could always offer shrink-wrap as an option... :-) Maybe charge
              extra? ;-)

              And agreed... 'nuff said about Stonix in the "programming" group. ;-)

              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 1, 2004
                Not Your Average Joe [im14u2c@...] wrote:
                | And agreed... 'nuff said about Stonix in the "programming" group. ;-)

                I should say "Stonix, the Cartridge." We can talk about how it's
                written, certainly.

                --Joe

                Joseph Zbiciak http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/ Not your average "Joe"
                R$+@$=W <-- sendmail.cf {$/{{.+ <-- modem noise
                !@#!@@! <-- Mr. Dithers swearing Zbiciak <-- Joe's last name
                --------- Program Intellivision! http://SDK-1600.spatula-city.org/ ----------
              • Rick Reynolds
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 1, 2004
                  Joe Zbiciak wrote:

                  >And agreed... 'nuff said about Stonix in the "programming" group. ;-)

                  Joe brings up an interesting point (to me anyway). I don't want to
                  clutter this list with non-programming questions (unless the group at
                  large has decided that game discussions are fine and Joe is being
                  tongue-in-cheek).

                  Is there another, better place for INTV gaming discussions?

                  Rick
                • Joe Zbiciak
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 1, 2004
                    Rick Reynolds [rickr@...] wrote:
                    | Joe Zbiciak wrote:
                    |
                    | >And agreed... 'nuff said about Stonix in the "programming" group. ;-)
                    |
                    | Joe brings up an interesting point (to me anyway). I don't want to
                    | clutter this list with non-programming questions (unless the group at
                    | large has decided that game discussions are fine and Joe is being
                    | tongue-in-cheek).

                    Only partly tongue-in-cheek. There seems to be a tacit understanding
                    on INTVPROG that non-programming discussions are ok as long as the
                    threads stay pretty short and would still be interesting to most of the
                    participants. I'm sure Frank has a clearer vision of what he wants
                    here--I'm just stating what I observe.

                    Some topics are fuzzy. For instance, game-design feedback (such as
                    "why do you accept input from both controllers") isn't strictly
                    technical programming talk, but it's relevant to game writers. Also,
                    some of the emulator-development stuff that goes on has overlap with
                    game development, but not always a huge overlap.

                    | Is there another, better place for INTV gaming discussions?

                    So far as I know, no.

                    It might be worthwhile to eventually break INTVPROG into two groups.
                    Maybe INTVTALK and INTVPROG. I know I'd end up subscribed to both.
                    I'm personally happy with the status quo, so long as it doesn't
                    get out of control. <:-)

                  • tlindner@ix.netcom.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 1, 2004
                      Rick Reynolds <rickr@...> wrote:

                      > Is there another, better place for INTV gaming discussions?

                      The only other place I regularly pay attention to is the usenet group
                      rec.games.video.intellivision. But it is very quiet there.

                      Rick asks a good question. Where do you all get your general
                      Intellivision discussion fix?

                      --
                      tim lindner
                      tlindner@... Bright
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 1, 2004
                        tim lindner [tlindner@...] wrote:
                        | Rick Reynolds <rickr@...> wrote:
                        |
                        | > Is there another, better place for INTV gaming discussions?
                        |
                        | The only other place I regularly pay attention to is the usenet group
                        | rec.games.video.intellivision. But it is very quiet there.
                        |
                        | Rick asks a good question. Where do you all get your general
                        | Intellivision discussion fix?

                        Here. That's it.

                        I don't have the time to keep up with Usenet anymore.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 1, 2004
                          >| Is there another, better place for INTV gaming discussions?
                          >
                          >So far as I know, no.
                          >
                          >It might be worthwhile to eventually break INTVPROG into two groups.
                          >Maybe INTVTALK and INTVPROG. I know I'd end up subscribed to both.
                          >I'm personally happy with the status quo, so long as it doesn't
                          >get out of control. <:-)

                          OK. That certainly seems reasonable. There is a very similar structure
                          in the Interactive Fiction community newsgroups (rec.games.int-fiction
                          and rec.arts.int-fiction) where games are discussed in one and game
                          design in the other.

                          I'd be fine with a split (I like to chat about my beloved INTV, but I
                          doubt I'll ever decide to program one), but I certainly won't be the one
                          to create the other group. Especially if I'm the only one who would be
                          in there talking to myself... :)

                          Rick
                        • cybergoth@nexgo.de
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 1, 2004
                            Hi there!

                            > | Is there another, better place for INTV gaming discussions?
                            > So far as I know, no.

                            I can say that you'd be very welcomed with Intellivision gaming related discussions on the Classic Gaming board of Atari Age:

                            http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=17

                            Also for all talk about hombrews, be it game design/ideas related topics, development diaries or release announcements, you may try the Homebrew forum:

                            http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=29

                            I'm the moderator in this forum and I can assure you that any Intellivision input is welcome here. Just look at how well all input from the Colecovision programmers is received.

                            In fact, both forums mentioned already had small discussions about Stonix for example :)

                            Greetings,
                            Manuel

                            Arcor-DSL: jetzt ohne Einrichtungspreis einsteigen oder wechseln
                            Sie sparen 99,95 Euro. Arcor-DSL ist in vielen Anschlussgebieten
                            verfügbar. http://www.arcor.de/home/redir.php/emf-dsl-1
                          • fdr4prez
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 1, 2004
                              Wow, I didn't think I was stepping on so many toes from being slightly OT with everyone else that was doing it.

                              There is another group, the other group is named INTV and is pretty dead.  Everyone was talking about Stonix here, so why not add my views?

                              Playing Intellivision solo and endlessly growing up, I never tried playing with two controllers and I never had anyone grabbing the right controller.  I had no idea that so many games are like that.  I have never had issues with my left controller wearing out.  And even if it did, I would have taken the unit apart and swapped it with the right controller because that one was rarely used.  None of my 3 siblings were into playing so I rarely played two player games unless I had friends over.  Or I was at their house playing on their unit.

                              Joe Zbiciak <im14u2c@...> wrote:
                              Rick Reynolds [rickr@...] wrote:
                              | Joe Zbiciak wrote:
                              |
                              | >And agreed... 'nuff said about Stonix in the "programming" group. ;-)
                              |
                              | Joe brings up an interesting point (to me anyway). I don't want to
                              | clutter this list with non-programming questions (unless the group at
                              | large has decided that game discussions are fine and Joe is being
                              | tongue-in-cheek).

                              Only partly tongue-in-cheek. There seems to be a tacit understanding
                              on INTVPROG that non-programming discussions are ok as long as the
                              threads stay pretty short and would still be interesting to most of the
                              participants. I'm sure Frank has a clearer vision of what he wants
                              here--I'm just stating what I observe.

                              Some topics are fuzzy. For instance, game-design feedback (such as
                              "why do you accept input from both controllers") isn't strictly
                              technical programming talk, but it's relevant to game writers. Also,
                              some of the emulator-development stuff that goes on has overlap with
                              game development, but not always a huge overlap.

                              | Is there another, better place for INTV gaming discussions?

                              So far as I know, no.

                              It might be worthwhile to eventually break INTVPROG into two groups.
                              Maybe INTVTALK and INTVPROG. I know I'd end up subscribed to both.
                              I'm personally happy with the status quo, so long as it doesn't
                              get out of control. <:-)

                              Regards,

                              --Joe

                              Joseph Zbiciak http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/ Not your average "Joe"
                              R$+@$=W <-- sendmail.cf {$/{{.+ <-- modem noise
                              !@#!@@! <-- Mr. Dithers swearing Zbiciak <-- Joe's last name
                              --------- Program Intellivision! http://SDK-1600.spatula-city.org/ ----------

                              http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/H5QolB/TM

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              Do you Yahoo!?

                            • Ryan Kinnen
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 1, 2004

                                > Is there another, better place for INTV gaming discussions?

                                Sadly no. Or at least not that I know of.

                                I used to love the Classic gaming Usenet groups back in the mid 90's -
                                until the dynamics of the internet changed greatly. Spam came along and
                                seemed to ruin the Usenet almost overnight. I also remember that AOL
                                suddenly unleashed its users onto the Usenet, which almost immediately
                                destroyed the personality of newsgroups. I haven't visited the Usenet
                                in a while. ...how are the videogame newsgroups these days? Is it
                                worth revisiting?

                                At the moment, AtariAge.com seems to be my favorite place for classic
                                gaming discussion. Intellivision discussion there seems somewhat sparse
                                and is buried by the variety of other topics that are discussed in the
                                classic gaming forum. I would love it if they gave Intellivision it's
                                own forum - I think that would help it get more discussion since it's
                                threads could go on longer before getting buried.

                                Personally, I'm fine with people talking about general inty stuff here.
                                (Although i'd become bothered if it started to drown the true tech
                                talk.) It's interesting that this list has evolved into what some might
                                consider the "hub" of intellivision communication on the net. I know
                                that there have been several attempts to start other mailing lists and
                                web forums over the past years. It's hard to plant the seeds for such a
                                thing. Most people will not participate unless there is a critical mass
                                of people who are already active there. The biggest factor in a list's
                                or forum's success is how actively the moderator keeps up with managing
                                things. I think that there is a big potential audience for a true place
                                to discuss intellivision stuff - someone just has to put a lot of work
                                into reigning them in to one location.

                                Ryan Kinnen
                              • fdr4prez
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 2, 2004
                                  No, there is another Yahoo group...INTV  there is minimal activity on it.

                                  Joe Zbiciak <im14u2c@...> wrote:
                                  tim lindner [tlindner@...] wrote:
                                  | Rick Reynolds wrote:
                                  |
                                  | > Is there another, better place for INTV gaming discussions?
                                  |
                                  | The only other place I regularly pay attention to is the usenet group
                                  | rec.games.video.intellivision. But it is very quiet there.
                                  |
                                  | Rick asks a good question. Where do you all get your general
                                  | Intellivision discussion fix?

                                  Here. That's it.

                                  I don't have the time to keep up with Usenet anymore.

                                  Joseph Zbiciak http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/ Not your average "Joe"
                                  R$+@$=W <-- sendmail.cf {$/{{.+ <-- modem noise
                                  !@#!@@! <-- Mr. Dithers swearing Zbiciak <-- Joe's last name
                                  --------- Program Intellivision! http://SDK-1600.spatula-city.org/ ----------

                                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/H5QolB/TM

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  Do you Yahoo!?

                                • Fast Ed
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 2, 2004
                                    I agree with Ryan.

                                    In general Intellivision news and discussions are relatively rare and I
                                    suspect that as a consequence there is not enough traffic to support
                                    multiple news groups. This also means that Intellivision discussions
                                    can be lost in the volume of Atari focused conversation in the more
                                    general forums.

                                    Having said that the technical bias to the discussions here appeals to
                                    my geek. I also think it forms a barrier to the cliched "best game /
                                    worst game / where can I find xyz rom / guess what I found at my local
                                    thrift / look what I've got up for grabs on eBay" threads that dominate
                                    many retro newsgroups.

                                    Therefore, I feel that the balance as it stands is very good, focusing
                                    on Intellivision programming with brief forays into wider technology and
                                    the infrequent nuggets of new Intellivision news.

                                    Ian