MINEHUNTER beta version for testing!

  • Ryan Kinnen
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
      Greetings all! I've gotten my project to a point where I am in need of
      testing assistance. If you can spare any of your valuable time to
      review my game, it would be extremely appreciated. Please be forward
      with any and all comments you may have about the game's aesthetics,
      reliability, and usability. In the interest of getting this project
      wrapped up as quickly as possible - I may not be able to incorporate
      many of your suggestions. So please don't feel hurt if I seem to ignore
      some of your good observations. Ideas that I don't incorporate into
      this game will still play a strong influence in other Intellivision
      development I am currently working on. If you are able to contribute
      input please observe the following:

      1) Please tell me which system or emulator you are playing the game on.
      (Some Intellivision games look and feel different when jumping between
      the world of emulators and original hardware.)

      2) If the list members don't mind, please post your commentary and
      observations to the list instead of sending them to me directly.
      (Although I'm fine with it if you'd rather email in private.) By
      posting to the list, perhaps you might provoke some interesting
      discussion about Intellivision games in general.

      3) Included with the ROM files, there is a PDF file that includes an
      overlay that you can print out.

      Also keep in mind that I am still new to this and have been programming
      assembly language for less than a year now. This game was meant to be a
      simple first-try-at-an-inty-game. Please look at this game as it
      compares to the earlier games released in the first couple of years in
      Intellivision's lifetime.

      In addition to general beating-on-the-game, I especially need help with
      these aspects of testing:

      1) I am really hoping someone will run this through an Intellicart to a
      Sears Tele-Games unit. Let me know if there are any problems with how
      the title screen is rendered.

      2) I also need someone to confirm that this works on the Intellivision
      II. I think I have it set right so that the lockout bit shouldn't be a
      problem. Also wasn't there an issue of some sound differences with this
      unit? (I think it was the BSR site that mentioned that the bubbling
      sounds were screwed up on Shark! Shark!). Let me know if any
      significant problems with the sound are found.

      Please direct comments and observations to the Intellivision
      Programmers discussion group at:
      INTVPROG@yahoogroups.com

      Thank you!

      Ryan Kinnen
      ryan@...
      http://www.pixelkitchen.com

      MINEHUNTER
      Beta Test #1
      February 3, 2003

      Controls:

      Top actios buttons - Examine a square
      Bottom action buttons - Place or Remove a flag

      How to play:

      The goal of the game is to identify which squares have bombs hidden
      under them. The bombs are placed under random squares at the beginning
      of each new game.

      Select a square to examine by moving the cursor over it and pressing a
      top action button. If you select a square with a bomb, you immediately
      lose the game. If you select a square without a bomb, a number will be
      displayed. This number indicates how many of the 8 immediately adjacent
      squares contain bombs. If there are no surrounding bombs, the selected
      square will appear clear.

      If you think a square contains a bomb, you can safely mark it with a
      flag by moving the cursor over it and pressing a bottom action button.
      A flag can be removed by pressing a bottom action button with the
      cursor over that same square.

      The game is won when either of the following occurs:

      All of the bombs have been marked by flags.
      (Without any extra misplaced flags.)

      All of the squares that do not contain bombs have been selected.
    • a_chevallier <a_chevallier@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
        Nice work, Ryan !

        I don't have much time to play it right now, but it seems to
        be very pleasant. So far, I've run it under Kinty and jzIntv.
        I'll be able to test it under my actual SECAM system in about
        two weeks.

        The cursor system is good, at least when using the PC keyboard
        (and one should also have a good 'feeling' when using a real
        disc, I guess).

        Nice sounds as well, particularly the little 'good job' music.

        Just two minor observations at this point of my tests :

        - There's a little delay between the click on the last bomb
        and the beginning of the 'good job' sequence, which may be a
        bit confusing.

        - The 'failed' sequence could be less 'aggressive', I think
        (but that's a very personnal opinion). Maybe only one explosion
        on the touched bomb and another little music ?

        Anyway, I'm going to play it again and again as soon as I've
        much free time :)

        Arnauld
      • Fisher, Joseph
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
          Ryan!

          Great job ;) It's got the look and feel of an Intellivision game,
          but I love the cursor! Not to mention that the explosions killed me! Very
          impressive. Maybe you could come up with some music to play in the
          background.

          I'm playing it on a P3-800, Win2k, Nostalgia.

          -Joe

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
            Ryan,

            Seems to be a little problem in the way you're handling inputs
            from the hand controllers: pressing the keypad during the game
            acts like a 'action button' + 'disc' combination.
            You could fix that by using more restrictive bit-masks, I guess.

            Arnauld

            PS : found 2 Easter Eggs on the settings screen ;-)
          • Ryan Kinnen <ryan@pixelkitchen.com>
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
              > Seems to be a little problem in the way you're handling inputs
              > from the hand controllers: pressing the keypad during the game
              > acts like a 'action button' + 'disc' combination.
              > You could fix that by using more restrictive bit-masks, I guess.
              >
              > Arnauld

              I'm not sure that there is a way to prevent this. I think it's a
              limitation of the hand controller's design. If I'm wrong, someone
              step in. I wanted the feel of the control to be such that it is ok to
              press an action button before you completely release the disk. This
              would not be possible if I was trying to ignore keypad input
              simultaneously. As I understand it you can:
              1) analyze input from action buttons and disc simultaneously
              2) analyze input from action buttons and keypad simultaneously
              3) analyze input from disc and keypad simultaneously
              But there is pretty much no way to analyze input from all three
              sources simultaneously due to the sharing of I/O input bits. Thus the
              screwy functionality that occurs when the keypad is pressed while the
              game is in action. In fact, I think this was the source of some
              bugs/features in a few games such as the "random black holes" in
              Space Hawk. If anyone has an idea of how to handle input from all
              three sources simultaneously, I would be interested in knowing for
              the future.

              Ryan
            • a_chevallier <a_chevallier@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
                > I wanted the feel of the control to be such that it is ok to
                > press an action button before you completely release the disk.

                Hmm ... ok, I see.

                Then I think you should do a test on 'input AND 0xE0', the only
                valid values being:

                - 0x00 : no button (and no keypad)
                - 0xA0 : top button pressed
                - 0x60 : left bottom button pressed
                - 0xC0 : right bottom button pressed

                All others cases meaning "something on the keypad", the entire
                input should be ignore (even the disc part, I think).

                > But there is pretty much no way to analyze input from all three
                > sources simultaneously due to the sharing of I/O input bits.

                Yes, that's right. But if you later decide that it's ok to press
                something on the keypad in order to activate some misc. options,
                then you can choose to accept only 'pure' entries on the keypad
                such as 0x81, 0x41, etc.

                Hope that helps a bit.

                Arnauld
              • Joe Zbiciak
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
                  Ryan Kinnen <ryan@...> [ryan@...] wrote:
                  | > Seems to be a little problem in the way you're handling inputs
                  | > from the hand controllers: pressing the keypad during the game
                  | > acts like a 'action button' + 'disc' combination.
                  | > You could fix that by using more restrictive bit-masks, I guess.
                  | >
                  | > Arnauld
                  | >

                  | I'm not sure that there is a way to prevent this. I think it's a
                  | limitation of the hand controller's design. If I'm wrong, someone
                  | step in. I wanted the feel of the control to be such that it is ok to
                  | press an action button before you completely release the disk. This
                  | would not be possible if I was trying to ignore keypad input
                  | simultaneously. As I understand it you can:
                  | 1) analyze input from action buttons and disc simultaneously
                  | 2) analyze input from action buttons and keypad simultaneously
                  | 3) analyze input from disc and keypad simultaneously

                  Actually, I'd narrow it down further: You can either be in
                  "DISC + ACTION" mode, or "KEYPAD" mode.

                  My own hand-controller scanning routines disambiguate roughly
                  as follows (from memory):

                  -- If the input *exactly* matches one of the 12 bit patterns for a
                  keypress, return that and ignore things that look like action
                  buttons and DISC.

                  -- If the input *exactly* matches one of the action buttons in the
                  upper 3 bits (ignore lower 5 bits), return that. Ignore things
                  that look like keypad.

                  -- If the input *exactly* matches one of the DISC inputs (in the lower
                  5 bits) that is unambiguous, (meaning either bit 4 is set, or more
                  than one of bits 0 thru 3 set), return that and ignore things that
                  look like keypad.

                  -- If the input looks like one of the ambiguous DISC inputs (specifically,
                  $01, $02, $04, $08), return the DISC input, but let keypad inputs
                  still be recognized, since it may just be a dirty switch.

                  Take a look here for my "Cadillac" hand-controller scanning code:

                  http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/sdk1600/examples/task/scanhand.asm

                  It covers some of the disambiguation issues.

                  Regards,

                  --Joe

                  Joseph Zbiciak http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/ Not your average "Joe"
                  R$+@$=W <-- sendmail.cf {$/{{.+ <-- modem noise
                  !@#!@@! <-- Mr. Dithers swearing Zbiciak <-- Joe's last name
                  --------- Program Intellivision! http://spatula-city.org/SDK-1600/ ----------
                • a_chevallier <a_chevallier@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                    Ryan,

                    Something I've noticed with games that change the brown color of
                    the default title screen is that it often doesn't work on my SECAM
                    Inty (should be the same for PAL ones).
                    For instance, I don't get the cyan color for 'Shark Shark!' (it's
                    brown).

                    So maybe you could have this problem with your red Minehunter
                    title. I had a quick look at your code and saw that you're
                    changing the color stack and the border color at $5025, which is
                    the very beginning of the title's code. It appears that a NTSC
                    Inty is in "VBLANK 1" period at this point of the code. But it may
                    not be the case on PAL / SECAM systems.

                    As said before, I can't try it on my actual Inty right now.
                    Maybe Joanna could tell us what she get ?

                    Arnauld
                  • Joe Zbiciak
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                      FWIW, the Sears unit should have the same problem. I haven't had
                      a chance to hook up mine and check.

                      A few of my early demos, and the title screen code that Chad used
                      for the Intellicart (based on my code) have the same issue. That's
                      why the Intellicart title screen is brown-green on Sears machines
                      instead of blue.

                      --Joe

                      a_chevallier <a_chevallier@...> [a_chevallier@...] wrote:
                      | Ryan,
                      |
                      | Something I've noticed with games that change the brown color of
                      | the default title screen is that it often doesn't work on my SECAM
                      | Inty (should be the same for PAL ones).
                      | For instance, I don't get the cyan color for 'Shark Shark!' (it's
                      | brown).
                      |
                      | So maybe you could have this problem with your red Minehunter
                      | title. I had a quick look at your code and saw that you're
                      | changing the color stack and the border color at $5025, which is
                      | the very beginning of the title's code. It appears that a NTSC
                      | Inty is in "VBLANK 1" period at this point of the code. But it may
                      | not be the case on PAL / SECAM systems.
                      |
                      | As said before, I can't try it on my actual Inty right now.
                      | Maybe Joanna could tell us what she get ?
                      |
                      | Arnauld

                      Joseph Zbiciak http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/ Not your average "Joe"
                      R$+@$=W <-- sendmail.cf {$/{{.+ <-- modem noise
                      !@#!@@! <-- Mr. Dithers swearing Zbiciak <-- Joe's last name
                      --------- Program Intellivision! http://spatula-city.org/SDK-1600/ ----------
                    • Arnauld Chevallier
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                        Ooops ...

                        Ryan, something strange has happened here.

                        I clicked a square in the middle of the board and the top
                        left corner appeared. I join a screenshot.

                        Unfortunately, there's currently no memory dump in Kinty.
                        I've just done a dump of the registers for the next 10K
                        opcodes, but I'm not sure it can help you a lot.
                        However, I've let the Kinty's process alive.
                        So I can manually inspect some parts of the memory if you
                        want, or maybe play the game to the end so that you can see
                        the mines configuration.

                        Please let me know quickly because I'm going to leave the
                        office soon :))

                        Arnauld

                      • Fisher, Joseph
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                          Arnauld, Ryan,

                          Let me know if the error is reproducable. Nostalgia has memory dumps and
                          all sorts of tracing available. I'd be happy to lend a hand.

                          -Joe

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                            --- "Fisher, Joseph" <joseph.fisher@...> a écrit :

                            > Arnauld, Ryan,
                            >
                            > Let me know if the error is reproducable. Nostalgia has
                            > memory dumps and all sorts of tracing available.
                            > I'd be happy to lend a hand.
                            >
                            > -Joe

                            I'm back after a little pinball-beer-sandwich-coffee break :)

                            Well ... I don't have a clue about what happened.
                            It may even be a bug in Kinty.

                            Anyway, below is the state of the scratch RAM and 16-bit
                            system RAM (areas which are not mentionned contain "0000").
                            I also join a screenshot of the mines at the end of the game.

                            One last thing : it did not happen at the next level.

                            Scratch
                            ==========

                            adr./byte
                            ----------
                            0100 0095
                            0101 0055
                            0102 0090
                            0103 0003
                            0104 0008
                            0105 0001
                            0111 0018
                            0114 0002
                            0115 000C
                            0116 00A0
                            0117 0008
                            0119 0008
                            011D 00FF
                            011E 0019
                            011F 0040
                            0120 0040
                            0147 0001
                            0148 0082
                            015D 004E
                            015E 0036
                            015F 0002
                            0160 0009
                            0163 000C
                            0165 0001
                            0167 0002
                            0169 0001
                            016A 0001
                            016B 0001
                            016C 0003
                            016D 0009
                            016E 0002
                            016F 0001
                            0170 0003
                            0171 0006
                            0172 0006
                            0173 000C
                            0174 000C
                            0175 000C
                            0176 000C
                            0177 0005
                            0178 0004
                            0179 0005
                            017A 0003
                            017B 000C
                            017C 000C
                            01A0 0002
                            01A1 0003
                            01A2 0002
                            01A3 000A
                            01A4 000A
                            01A5 000B
                            01A6 0002
                            01A7 0003
                            01A8 0003
                            01A9 0004
                            01AA 0006
                            01AB 000B
                            01AC 000A

                            16-bit RAM
                            ==========

                            adr./word
                            ----------
                            0300 17D0
                            0301 18F9
                            0304 5772
                            0305 1014
                            0306 55AA
                            0307 0002
                            0308 0001
                            0309 55B9
                            0332 0040
                            0333 0950
                            0334 0020
                            0336 0800
                            0337 0008
                            0338 0100
                            033A 0004
                            033B 0840
                            0345 6623
                            0346 6C09
                            0347 668F
                            0348 4E18
                            0349 3600
                            034A 0297
                            034B 0170
                            034C 0868
                            034D 00DA
                            034E 0089
                            034F 6258
                            0350 62EF
                            0351 08FF
                            0352 6322
                            0353 0001
                            0354 6350
                            0355 0001
                            035D 1906
                            035E 4ABA

                            I did my best to do it carefully, but that's still a 'manual
                            dump'. So there can be some mistakes ...

                            Hope that helps.

                            Arnauld

                          • Joe Zbiciak
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                              All,

                              Has anyone managed to get Mine Hunter to work with INTVPC?

                              --Joe