Question

  • Danny
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2002
      Is there a way to make a wave file sound like it's coming from an
      Intellivison? Maybe some kind of filter in Sound Forge or a simple
      processing program that could be done?

      Danny
    • Joseph Zbiciak
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2002
        Danny [dparrot1@...] wrote:
        | Is there a way to make a wave file sound like it's coming from an
        | Intellivison? Maybe some kind of filter in Sound Forge or a simple
        | processing program that could be done?

        The main thing that gives the Inty it's "sound" is that the three output
        tones are all square waves. If you look for a sound-effects tool, the
        main thing you want to look for is something that will turn sine waves
        into square waves of corresponding amplitude.

        Sorry I can't point you to a specific package though.

        Regards,

        --Joe

        Joseph Zbiciak http://www.primenet.com/~im14u2c/ Not your average "Joe"
        R$+@$=W <-- sendmail.cf {$/{{.+ <-- modem noise
        !@#!@@! <-- Mr. Dithers swearing Zbiciak <-- Joe's last name
        --------- Program Intellivision! http://spatula-city.org/SDK-1600/ ----------
      • Joanna Kurki
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2002
          --- In intvprog@y..., "Danny" <dparrot1@e...> wrote:
          > Is there a way to make a wave file sound like it's coming from an
          > Intellivison? Maybe some kind of filter in Sound Forge or a simple
          > processing program that could be done?
          >
          > Danny

          Best alternative would (IMHO) be to create Sound chip clone using some
          of those soft-synth making tools.. Synthedit is quite nice, not too
          expensive and has ability to save VST:s ... With that it would be
          quite easy to create decent clone of something as simple as GI
          soundchip. Especially with all docs that can be found.

          After you had that VST you could just put into your favorite PC music
          making software and use it as an instrument..

          For those who are interested about Retro.sounds there is C64 Sid chip
          emulator (actually it has 4 of them) called QuadraSid .. Not bad, but
          not my favorite synth ...

          Joanna
        • Arnauld Chevallier
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2002
            > Best alternative would (IMHO) be to create Sound chip clone using some
            > of those soft-synth making tools.. Synthedit is quite nice, not too
            > expensive and has ability to save VST:s ... With that it would be
            > quite easy to create decent clone of something as simple as GI
            > soundchip. Especially with all docs that can be found.
            >
            > After you had that VST you could just put into your favorite PC music
            > making software and use it as an instrument..
            >
            > For those who are interested about Retro.sounds there is C64 Sid chip
            > emulator (actually it has 4 of them) called QuadraSid .. Not bad, but
            > not my favorite synth ...
            >
            > Joanna

            In a similar way, I created a simple square wave (with 'Cool Edit 96' from Syntrillium) and use it
            as an instrument on 'ModPlug Tracker'. Then, it's easy to experiment some 'Inty-like' songs. I
            join a very basic example (there's a square vibrato on it, which may not be very accurate). I'm
            thinking about writting a 'XM to Inty format' converter. The 'Inty format' has still to be defined
            though :-)

            Oh, about this C64 sid emulator : there's also a funny Winamp Plug-In which allow to play the
            '.sid' files on it. It's called 'SidAmp' and is available here :
            http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~adsoft/sidamp/

            Arnauld

            HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
            http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
          • Joseph Zbiciak
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 2002
              Arnauld Chevallier [a_chevallier@...] wrote:
              | In a similar way, I created a simple square wave (with 'Cool Edit 96' from Syntrillium) and use it
              | as an instrument on 'ModPlug Tracker'. Then, it's easy to experiment some 'Inty-like' songs. I
              | join a very basic example (there's a square vibrato on it, which may not be very accurate). I'm
              | thinking about writting a 'XM to Inty format' converter. The 'Inty format' has still to be defined
              | though :-)

              So what's "XM"?

              | Oh, about this C64 sid emulator : there's also a funny Winamp
              | Plug-In which allow to play the
              | '.sid' files on it. It's called 'SidAmp' and is available here :
              | http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~adsoft/sidamp/

              Cool. I actually broke out my AY-891x emulation once into a standalone
              program so that I could create blocks of samples from register parameter
              sets. (I was experimenting with genetic programming, actually -- don't
              ask, what I was trying didn't work.)

              Seems as though we should be able to define a ".psg" format and do the
              same thing for all the AY-891x systems out there. (I think there are
              more AY-891x based systems out there than SID systems, when you consider
              all the Intellivisions, Colecovisions, Atari STs, and arcade systems...)

              One thing I've been tempted to try is the following:

              -- Run a 1024 pt FFT on 16.7ms intervals (60Hz)
              -- Identify the top three peaks that are near note boundaries
              -- Convert this to a register parameter set
              -- Run it through the PSG model

              That might be effective at doing "WAV" -> "PSG", at least for tonal
              stuff. You'd need to do some noise-floor analysis if you want to
              get the noise generator in there...

              All this would be in my "copious free time." I've had little-to-none
              lately.

              Regards,

              --Joe

              Joseph Zbiciak http://www.primenet.com/~im14u2c/ Not your average "Joe"
              R$+@$=W <-- sendmail.cf {$/{{.+ <-- modem noise
              !@#!@@! <-- Mr. Dithers swearing Zbiciak <-- Joe's last name
              --------- Program Intellivision! http://spatula-city.org/SDK-1600/ ----------
            • a_chevallier
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 6, 2002
                --- In intvprog@y..., Joseph Zbiciak <im14u2c@p...> wrote:

                > So what's "XM"?

                XM stands for 'eXtended Module'. This is an extension of the
                primary 'MOD' format, which consists of a library of samples and the
                patterns describing the song and all effects applied to samples. It
                was first introduced by the guys who wrote 'Fast Tracker II' (sadly
                no more distributed, but many other great trackers still use it).
                I've the complete description of the XM format somewhere on my HD.
                Just let me know if you want to have a look at it.

                XM files can be played by Winamp (for instance) or by almost all
                module-trackers.

                > Seems as though we should be able to define a ".psg" format and
                > do the same thing for all the AY-891x systems out there.
                > (I think there are more AY-891x based systems out there than SID
                > systems, when you consider all the Intellivisions, Colecovisions,
                > Atari STs, and arcade systems...)

                Such a format does exist. But as it was created by an Atari ST
                addict, the files are named ".ym" (the Atari chip being a Yamaha
                clone of the PSG). And there's a player too, of course. You can get
                it here : http://leonard.oxg.free.fr (select 'ST-Sound' in the menu).

                It handles the following rates :

                -- Atari ST (2 Mhz)
                -- ZX-Spectrum (1,7734 Mhz)
                -- Amstrad CPC (1 Mhz)

                > One thing I've been tempted to try is the following:
                >
                > -- Run a 1024 pt FFT on 16.7ms intervals (60Hz)
                > -- Identify the top three peaks that are near note boundaries
                > -- Convert this to a register parameter set
                > -- Run it through the PSG model

                May the force be with you, Luke ;-)

                More seriously : it seems like a great idea, but I guess it will
                indeed only works for very simple "songs".

                Arnauld
              • twjenterprises
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 16 3:15 PM
                  I have some Intellivision 2609 Consoles that have a problem, when I
                  turn on the switch, there is a blank screen, but once I hit the reset
                  button.. I am able to play the games. Any Ideas what I can do to
                  remmedy this?
                • Joe Zbiciak
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 16 3:41 PM
                    That seems to be a common failure mode. It's harmless, but
                    irritating, to be sure.

                    If I had to guess, from looking at the schematic, it
                    appears capacitor C26 might be the culprit. C26 and R15
                    work together to give the initial reset pulse. You can
                    find the schematic here:

                    http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/tech/images/schematic.png

                    C26 has a funky symbol which I interpret to be a component
                    that's actually two electrolytic (or otherwise polarized)
                    capacitors back-to-back to form a non-polarized 1uF
                    capacitor. (The designation "NP" near it seems to back me
                    up on that.) If you do replace it, make sure to use a
                    non-polarized cap. If you have to, you can put two
                    electrolytics in series, tying their positive terminals
                    together and wiring in the negative terminals.

                    Or, you could just hit reset every time you power up the
                    unit. That's what I do on mine.

                    :-)

                    --Joe

                    --- twjenterprises <twjenterprises@...> wrote:

                    > I have some Intellivision 2609 Consoles that have a
                    > problem, when I
                    > turn on the switch, there is a blank screen, but once I
                    > hit the reset
                    > button.. I am able to play the games. Any Ideas what I
                    > can do to
                    > remmedy this?

                    We sell Spatulas, and that's all!
                    http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/