Re: [INTP open] N's and historical change

  • Ahmad Ramy
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 30, 2003
      From Ahmed Ramy ,Writer of Magnificent Four
      http://www.geocities.com/lifexplore/

      Type Statistics

      General MB Population

      According to a 1964 American study conducted by David Keirsey and Marilyn Bates, the population is...

      Extraversion 75%, Introversion 25%
      Sensing 75%, iNtuition 25%
      Thinking 50%, Feeling 50%
      Judging 50%, Perceiving 50%

      It should also be noted that for men, about 60% had a Thinking preference, while 60% of women had a Feeling preference.

      Specific MB Population

      SJ Guardians - 38%
      SP Artisans - 36%
      NF Idealists - 12%
      NT Rationals - 12%

      ESTJ - 13%
      ESFJ - 13%
      ESTP - 13%
      ESFP - 13%
      ISTJ - 6%
      ISFJ - 6%
      ISTP - 5%
      ISFP - 5%
      ENTJ - 5%
      ENFJ - 5%
      ENTP - 5%
      ENFP - 5%
      INTJ - 1%
      INFJ - 1%
      INTP - 1%
      INFP - 1%

      Keirsey Sorter Results - here

      It should be noted that most people interested in personality type tend to be NFs, while the least common are SPs. Thus, this is pretty much a survey of people who are interested in type, hence the discrepency between the general population statistics. Also, I have rounded out the decimals into whole numbers.

      Total Tests Taken = 4,586,300

      SJ Guardian - 43%
      NF Idealist - 30%
      NT Rational - 14%
      SP Artisan - 12%

      ESFJ - 12%
      ESTJ - 10%
      ISTJ - 10%
      ISFJ - 10%
      ENFP - 8%
      ENFJ - 8%
      INFJ - 8%
      INFP - 7%
      INTJ - 6%
      ESFP - 5%
      ENTJ - 3%
      INTP - 3%
      ISFP - 3%
      ESTP - 3%
      ISTP - 2%

      Test Results from PersonalityPage.com - here

      This site is not as popular as Keirsey's and also you have to pay for the test, so this is probably more accurate of those interested in personality type. Note that INFPs who make up 1% of the general population make up 13% of the people here. (We're just fascinated by this stuff, really.)

      SJ Guardian - 36%
      NF Idealist - 33%
      SP Artisan - 18%
      NT Rational - 13%

      INFP - 13%
      ISFJ - 12%
      ENFP - 11%
      ISTJ - 9%
      ESFJ - 8%
      ESTJ - 7%
      ISFP - 6%
      INFJ - 6%
      ESFP - 5%
      INTP - 4%
      ENFJ - 4%
      INTJ - 3.5%
      ISTP - 3.5%
      ENTP - 3%
      ESTP - 3%
      ENTJ - 2%

      Education Level (1 did not graduate, to 6 PhD or equivalent)
      ENTJ - 4.12
      INTJ - 3.93
      ESTJ - 3.83
      ISTJ - 3.78
      ESTP - 3.73
      INFJ - 3.72
      ENFP - 3.69
      INTP - 3.69
      INFP - 3.67
      ESFP - 3.63
      ENFJ - 3.60
      ESFJ - 3.62
      ISTP - 3.59
      ISFJ - 3.58
      ENTP - 3.54
      ISFP - 3.52

      Household Income
      ENTJ - $84,434
      ESTJ - $76,238
      ESFJ - $74,882
      INTJ - $72,043
      ENFJ - $71,060
      ISTJ - $71,020
      ESTP - $69,323
      ISTP - $67,349
      ENFP - $66,210
      INTP - $64,872
      INFJ - $64,372
      ISFP - $64,166
      ISFJ - $63,870
      ESFP - $63,281
      ENTP - $62,960
      INFP - $61,565

      Married
      ESFJ - 53%
      ISTJ - 51%
      ENTJ - 51%
      ESTJ - 50%
      ISFJ - 48%
      INTJ - 44%
      ISTP - 43%
      ENFJ - 40%
      ISFP - 38%
      INFJ - 37%
      ENTP - 37%
      ENFP - 36%
      INTP - 35%
      ESFP - 34%
      ESTP - 31%
      INFP - 30%

      Enneagram Personality Dynamics Test Results - here

      12,168 test scores from 6/10/97 to 2/20/98. Results have been rounded to the nearest whole number.
      MalesFemalesType 9 - 746Type 9 - 2294Type 4 - 678Type 4 - 1806Type 5 - 615Type 2 - 1773Type 7 - 468Type 7 - 1461Type 1 - 424Type 5 - 1175Type 2 - 413Type 6 - 1102Type 8 - 356Type 1 - 1024Type 6 - 308Type 8 - 853Type 3 - 298Type 3 - 682

    • soup_is_bad
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 30, 2003
        > > I think he meant IN... because I is supposedly 25% of the
        > population
        > > and N is supposedly 25% of the population, thus leading IN's to
        be
        > > approximately 6.25% of the population, which would be the rarest
        of
        > > two letter combinations (and is in fact rarer than a good deal
        of 4
        > > letter combinations).
        > >
        > > -travis
        > > I think, unfortunately it's usually about something stupid
        like "I
        > > wonder how tightly squished I can get this ear plug?" And
        > therefore
        > > do I get in trouble. People just don't appreciate random
        thought
        > > patterns.
        >

        > Thanks for the percentage info. I'll check my facts next time.
        So
        > how tightly squished did that earplug get? Could be useful info
        > further down the road, one never knows, but I can see how that
        might
        > get you in trouble with non-IN types.

        Well, the diameter of the ear plug was only reduced to about 2/3 the
        original size, but the heighth of the cylinder was greatly reduced
        to about 1/10th the size. Any greater squishage would be extremely
        difficult without the use of certain tools. After some
        indeterminable time (less than 2 hours) the ear plug returned to its
        original size. I hope that this knowledge will aid you in your
        future endeavors... ;)

        > T.
        >
        > I think, therefore I get myself out of trouble.

        I'm typically too indecisive for that to work...unless I have a
        really long time to think about it... :\

        -travis
      • soup_is_bad
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 30, 2003
          --- In intpopen@yahoogroups.com, "Jacque" <jacque_debergerac@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In intpopen@yahoogroups.com, "sboosh11" <sboosh@h...> wrote:
          >
          > > I know some "persecution" by S's is a factor, though to be
          honest
          > > unless IN's get killed off before they have procreated it
          wouldn't
          > > affect their population tremendously. They often don't pursue a
          > > leadership role and often neglect the physical which is going to
          > give
          > > an advantage to other (male) types. The also often neglect the
          > > social niceties. I'm just rambling here, trying to understand
          > this
          > > population thing...
          > >
          > > T.
          >
          > You think N's beget N's? My parents are like sooooo S+J...perhaps
          > N's are born from these extremities???
          >
          > But really, I can't testify to any IN bloodletting. If heretics
          are
          > indeed being burned at the stake, I'm not seeing the smoke.
          Though,
          > I've sometimes felt the fire...as it should be-I think.
          >
          > Jacque

          I'm not absolutely sure, but I think at least my dad is an N...in
          fact, I am almost certain there are no SJ's in my family at all. My
          brother is probably an ESTP, my mom an I?FP, and my dad has almost
          the same personality as I do (INTP, I think), perhaps with a bit
          more J... our family is weird for having percentages very different
          from the outside world...only 1 extravert out of 4 people, 2 left-
          handers from a left-handed and a right-handed parent, just being
          weird, etc...

          -travis
          I had to put something here, or else I wouldn't look cool, now would
          I?
        • sboosh11
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 31, 2003
            --- In intpopen@yahoogroups.com, soup_is_bad <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > > I think he meant IN... because I is supposedly 25% of the
            > > population
            > > > and N is supposedly 25% of the population, thus leading IN's to
            > be
            > > > approximately 6.25% of the population, which would be the
            rarest
            > of
            > > > two letter combinations (and is in fact rarer than a good deal
            > of 4
            > > > letter combinations).
            > > >
            > > > -travis
            > > > I think, unfortunately it's usually about something stupid
            > like "I
            > > > wonder how tightly squished I can get this ear plug?" And
            > > therefore
            > > > do I get in trouble. People just don't appreciate random
            > thought
            > > > patterns.
            > >

            > > Thanks for the percentage info. I'll check my facts next time.
            > So
            > > how tightly squished did that earplug get? Could be useful info
            > > further down the road, one never knows, but I can see how that
            > might
            > > get you in trouble with non-IN types.
            > >

            > Well, the diameter of the ear plug was only reduced to about 2/3
            the
            > original size, but the heighth of the cylinder was greatly reduced
            > to about 1/10th the size. Any greater squishage would be extremely
            > difficult without the use of certain tools. After some
            > indeterminable time (less than 2 hours) the ear plug returned to
            its
            > original size. I hope that this knowledge will aid you in your
            > future endeavors... ;)
            >

            > > T.
            > >
            > > I think, therefore I get myself out of trouble.
            >
            > I'm typically too indecisive for that to work...unless I have a
            > really long time to think about it... :\
            >
            > -travis

            I'm working on the indecision thing myself. I read something one
            time that said if it is a real problem then just choose the option
            that provides the most benefit to the most people. In the areas of
            salad dressing selection I give myself permission to be wrong and
            remind myself that I can always buy another bottle if I really hate
            it. If I've had a long day and am just too tired then I leave the
            store and make green beans instead. In other areas I tell myself
            that sometimes it is not only okay to interpret things subjectively
            but also necessary especially when combating subjective/feeling types
            (it's really all they understand anyway).

            Thanks for the earplug info. You never know when you'll need to
            macgyver something.

            T.
          • sboosh11
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 31, 2003
              wrote:
              > --- In intpopen@yahoogroups.com, "sboosh11" <sboosh@h...> wrote:
              >
              > > Yes, I think the most likely occurence would be that most
              > personality
              > > traits are inherited and that is an assumption on my part but I
              > think
              > > not a faulty one. There is going to be an environmental
              component
              > as
              > > well. Here is where I find that it is hard to place judgements
              on
              > > other people's personality type. I would think that a certain
              > amount
              > > of Sness increases with age. The young adult makes his/her way
              out
              > of
              > > being cared for and into the world where it is necessary to deal
              > with
              > > the physical realities of living and then again as parents
              > providing
              > > for the physical welfare of their offspring. It's also going to
              > > depend on the opportunities and the lack thereof that have
              emerged
              > in
              > > their lives.
              > >
              > > T.
              >
              > Understood. Nature vs. Nurture resolved in one's holistic
              > consumption of the other...before I've given each a thorough look
              > might I add-and no I don't like seafood. ~~~^_^
              >
              > Yes, psycho-adaptive natural inclination goaded by outside
              > pressure. The predestined "Sensational" end to the iNtuitive
              > faculty. The curse of youth of having dwelt on nonexistent
              > quibbles. Better an appropriation of time to stare up at Orion's
              > belt and wish upon the unbuckled descent of Heaven.
              >
              > There, three birds with one stone. One for the branch, the same
              for
              > the sky; three pebbles for the Earth.
              >
              > Jacque

              The "outside pressure" in this case is from being a physical being at
              all. Without being the sensational, bloodthirsty, miserable little
              creatures that we have been up to this point it is unlikely we would
              have gotten past a very rudimentary stage of development without
              being snuffed out, Mother Nature being what she is. But of course
              without the ability to see beyond and into the abstract we would
              still be beating each other over the head with rocks and sticks.
              Well, some still do. Sensation and Intuition rest on one another.

              T.
            • morriscat
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 1, 2003
                --- In intpopen@yahoogroups.com, "Lyra" <so_very_lyra@y...> wrote:
                > I think there is more of a chance...my N parents had 3 N children.
                > I think we should all precreate with each other...more INTPs are
                > needed in this world.

                Watch out for inbreeding. :) Though outbreeding seems to not quite be
                working out so far.

                > Lyra

                Morris, I*N*T*P*
                In or out?
              • sboosh11
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 1, 2003
                  --- In intpopen@yahoogroups.com, morriscat <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In intpopen@yahoogroups.com, "Lyra" <so_very_lyra@y...> wrote:
                  > > I think there is more of a chance...my N parents had 3 N
                  children.
                  > > I think we should all precreate with each other...more INTPs are
                  > > needed in this world.
                  >
                  > Watch out for inbreeding. :) Though outbreeding seems to not quite
                  be
                  > working out so far.
                  >
                  > > Lyra
                  >
                  > Morris, I*N*T*P*
                  > In or out?

                  Okay, I just have to respond to this one. I am a INTP woman married
                  to an INTP man. I had never heard of the MBTI typing until about a
                  month ago. Yes, it has worked out great. 5 years married, 2 kids,
                  great. It is and was obvious when we married that we have very
                  similar personalities but the personality testing made it a bit of
                  an "Aha!" Normally, I go for people who are more of a different type
                  but, since it was my second marriage, I had a better idea of what I
                  needed to be happy in a relationship and so I felt someone planning
                  to go in the general direction I wanted to go would be a necessary
                  trait. I realize this is a bit personal but being a such a small
                  percentage of the population I realize how difficult it is to
                  actually connect with someone else that isn't going, "What the hell
                  are you talking about??"

                  For what it's worth,

                  T.
                • Heather
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 2, 2003
                    --- In intpopen@yahoogroups.com, "sboosh11" <sboosh@h...> wrote:
                    > --- In intpopen@yahoogroups.com, morriscat <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > > --- In intpopen@yahoogroups.com, "Lyra" <so_very_lyra@y...> wrote:
                    > > > I think there is more of a chance...my N parents had 3 N
                    > children.
                    > > > I think we should all precreate with each other...more INTPs are
                    > > > needed in this world.
                    > >
                    > > Watch out for inbreeding. :) Though outbreeding seems to not quite
                    > be
                    > > working out so far.
                    > >
                    > > > Lyra
                    > >
                    > > Morris, I*N*T*P*
                    > > In or out?
                    >
                    > Okay, I just have to respond to this one. I am a INTP woman married
                    > to an INTP man. I had never heard of the MBTI typing until about a
                    > month ago. Yes, it has worked out great. 5 years married, 2 kids,
                    > great. It is and was obvious when we married that we have very
                    > similar personalities but the personality testing made it a bit of
                    > an "Aha!" Normally, I go for people who are more of a different type
                    > but, since it was my second marriage, I had a better idea of what I
                    > needed to be happy in a relationship and so I felt someone planning
                    > to go in the general direction I wanted to go would be a necessary
                    > trait. I realize this is a bit personal but being a such a small
                    > percentage of the population I realize how difficult it is to
                    > actually connect with someone else that isn't going, "What the hell
                    > are you talking about??"
                    >
                    > For what it's worth,
                    >
                    > T.

                    It's probably too early to tell what types the kids are, but do you have any guesses?

                    Our INTP/INFJ match has produced an I?TJ, an E?FP, an E?T?, and an I???. My oldest
                    daughter is like my mother-in-law in personality, my second daughter is like my
                    mother, my oldest son is like my half-brother, and my youngest son is sort of like my
                    husband.

                    We've been married eleven years and I can see us happily growing old together.
                  • sboosh11
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 2, 2003
                      Yes, very early to tell for them. My daughter is 4. I would guess
                      at this point I??P. She is extremely internal and it could be days
                      later when you find out she was upset about something. My son is
                      almost 2 and I would guess I??J but really very early still to
                      tell.

                      Funny, because I had my sister take a test and she turned out INFJ
                      and we just don't understand each other at all. My mother also
                      tested INFJ and while we at least seem to come from the same planet,
                      her logical connections often contain large jumps I cannot agree with
                      yet otherwise I feel we are compatable personalities. One of her
                      strengths is that she seems to be able to read people very well.

                      I think the four letter classifications must be like a blunt
                      instrument that chisels out a general shape to the personality but
                      many other factors are also involved which influence the end result.

                      Definately see us happily growing old together as well.

                      T.

                    • Benjamin Nivison
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 5, 2003
                        --- Lyra <so_very_lyra@...> wrote:
                        > > Is looking up at the stars, and thinking that
                        > Orion's belt is a
                        > > gateway to Heaven an "N" thing? how about
                        > wondering how the
                        > universe
                        > > exists, and where the hell god is?
                        >
                        > Does there have to be a god to be found?
                        >
                        > Lyra

                        if I may speak, I'd like to be found

                        Benjamin

                        =====
                        "I'll just assume you said what I thought I heard you say."
                        -Homer Simpson

                        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree