Scientific Understanding of Acquired Hatha Yoga-Power

  • tkray
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2007
      Dear Enlightened ones:

      I would appreciate very much any comment or question on the following article by anyone from the vast (400 million plus) World Yoga Community of our Federation.

      I sent the article a little over a month ago as an attachment to my email to the International Yoga Federation, but have not heard from anybody so far. This time I am pasting the entire article to the body of my email (below) to get your kind attention.

      Love and Light,
      Pandit Dr. Tushar K. Ray
      Member of the Council

      The Mystical Power of Yoga Explained:

      Scientific Understanding of the Mind-Body Energy

      Tushar K. Ray, PhD (Biochemistry)

      Central Yoga School of Mind-Body Fitness

      www.centralyoga.org

      And

      Ramakrishna Ashram-Vedanta Center , Phoenix , AZ

      www.vedanta-phoenix.org

      Summary

      The principal goal of hatha yoga health culture is to experience the universal life force (Sans: Kundalini energy) latent in us that empowers and sustains our physical body. The postures and breathing rules are but the tools of yoga to reach that end. Even though the innate Kundalini energy is always there at the base of our spinal column we are as a rule unconscious of it. However, through appropriate practice of the yoga postures and breath control one can be acutely aware of the Kundalini running along the spine, and gradually develop control over it, gaining eventually supernatural power at his disposal. A Kundalini-awakened person feels his body as the energy-field of Kundalini itself that sustains our body by helping to metabolize the foods we eat and the air we breathe. The innate Kundalini (primordial) energy and body-energy (derived from food calories) are likened to the inner (core) and the outer-glow, respectively, of a steady burning candle flame, showing their contributory relationships. An adept yogi conversant in Kundalini science can perform tasks that seem apparently miraculous to others ignorant in this field. Such supernatural feats include, going actively for months without foods, staying healthy after buried underground in a tiny confined space for weeks, ability to temporarily stop the heart etc. We argue that our mind-energy when intensely focused with a total bodily feeling acts as a highly powerful Laser like beam that is able to generate unlimited energy by nuclear fusion at the body temperature (“Cold Fusion”). It is postulated here that cold fusion of two hydrogen (H) atoms into helium (He) is likely to occur at the abode of Kundalini energy (called Muladhara in yoga) located at the base of the spine. Also, it is envisioned that the essential trace elements, the transitional metal ions, by virtue of their paramagnetic nature and prompt excitability at elevated temperature would help to safely disperse the generated nuclear fusion energy to desired locations of the body for health benefits as well as for the performance of the extraordinary yogic feats. The energetic of this mind-body unity in yoga has been discussed in-depth with a view to bridging the vast gap existing between this ancient mind-body science and the modern material science.

      .

      Background and Hypothesis

      Current paradigm of a living organism including the human health is that it is nonlinear and holistic, and so interacts with its environment in a way that involve the entire being requiring appropriate change of its interconnected parts all the time. According to this concept an ailment affecting any of our numerous body parts simultaneously influence even the remote parts as well, and depending on the nature and severity of the primary cause, the illness may change its course by disappearing from one part and appearing in others with varying symptoms.  All parts of our complex body are in the state of a constant flux; each individual component turning over at varying rates and degrees, yet maintaining the homeostatic relationship with one another. Thus, our body is likened to a whirlpool (or vortex) in a fast stream where energy and information are flowing continually through the system in order to maintain its structural integrity designed to carry out recurrent mind-body functions. Our mind keeps this vortex-body running by energizing it with foods, numerous thoughts and desires.

      According to ancient Yoga philosophy, this vast material universe is, in the ultimate analysis, a limitless ocean of thoughts in the mind of our all-pervading, all-powerful Brahman, the Creator. The same idea has been echoed by the most celebrated Nobel Laureate scientist of our time, Albert Einstein, (as quoted by the legendary CBS broadcaster, Hugh Downs) in the following manner – “The universe is pure geometry, and pure geometry is pure mathematics, and pure mathematics is pure thought. Therefore, the universe is a giant thought, and we are created in God’s image because we think.” In other words, in the ever-flowing thought energies of this infinite universe we are just individual whirlpool of energies having diverse names and forms, designated to serve specific purposes. Indeed this universe is a huge conglomerate of numerous whirlpools of matter, energy and information in various shapes, sizes, colors and smells, built as vortexes within the vortex in decreasing dimensions, and ultimately ending in a cocktail of quantum energy and information, where spontaneous creation and dissolution of matter are taking place all the time. Our body, thus, consists of numerous vortexes of thought and energy in diminishing sizes working in concert with our desire and will power. Hatha yoga helps to bring a harmonious stability among these constituent vortexes (known scientifically as the “dissipative structures”) within us so that energy and information could flow effortlessly through the entire mind-body system with a high degree of efficiency generating blissful health.

      Flow of Energy, Spontaneity and Our Quantum Mechanical Body

      Hatha Yoga helps to bring the spontaneity back to our own mind-body machine allowing the energy and information to flow in the most efficient mode possible all through the system so that an individual can enjoy life fully as a result of his spontaneous holistic awareness and creativity. The Yoga philosophy upholds the idea, “When you really feel the inner bliss you also look your very best and beautiful”, thus underscoring the fact that true beauty is a mind-body entity. This state of mind-body health is analogous to that of a healthy 4 to 5 year-old child who acts spontaneously at all times doing everything of own interest with a fully engaged mind showing proper emotional reaction at the appropriate moment. Thus, truly they live fully every moment of their life. The child neither drags his past grievances, nor does he worry about his future. The young kids, however, by virtue of their tenderly young age, lacks in their discriminating faculty, which they accrue naturally in due course (starting age about six) in life.  These young kids, therefore, act and react only instinctively based on their bodily feelings derived directly from their acute sense input without having any critical intellectual involvement whatsoever, or simply stated they interact with this world solely from their heart. So, the fundamental difference in the mental state of a young child and a Yogi Master is that unlike the young child the Yogi Master had to acquire the yogic skill by dedicated efforts to secure a spontaneous balance between his head (intellect) and the heart (feeling) that he once enjoyed as a child, but had gradually lost over the years. Such acquired skill enables him to make the right decision in life at the right moment, thus avoiding any adverse reaction from own ongoing actions by making certain that all their actions are just. The young child, on the other hand, is neither interested nor aware of any future consequences, hence remains totally unconcerned. Thus the intellectual fitness of the Yogi is remarkably increased by Yoga as well along with his/her ability to maintain a good health by virtue of the spontaneous mind-body unity. So, the Yogi experiences a significant subjective growth: a qualitative improvement that was lacking before his systematic yoga training, thus bringing a radical (qualitative) change in his life styles and interpersonal relationships.

      Hatha yoga brings the spontaneity back in the mind-body behavior of an individual through a scientific process of deep abdominal breathing; stretching and still postures with a view to bringing the mind of the individual back within his/her own body while feeling the associated agreeable sensation within. This creates a state of perfect mind-body unity within the person. In such state the person feels fully connected to each point of his own body in a state of total bliss; being energized spontaneously by the innate self-feedback mechanism. Such all-connected state of being is what we call living in the quantum field. Repeated practice of such experience enables a man to find the source of his own unlimited inner bliss that makes him trust his own true self beyond the mind-body existence. Gradually with regular practice he realizes the unlimited resource of Kundalini energy (see below) that he possesses within, as well as his true relation with the universe around. Thus he finds a meaningful purpose of his life and starts enjoying own life in health and harmony.

      Kundalini Energy is the Secret Power behind the apparently mystical Yogic Feats:

      The observed child-like spontaneity in an accomplished yogi is associated with a blissful feeling within his/her physical body. This feeling of bliss is due to his yoga training enabling him to live in an altered state of mind when his will, intellect and feeling merge (agree) completely, and the yogi becomes submerged into this blissful feeling being frequently oblivious of even his own material body that he cares so much about. This state of being is a state of super-conscious awareness enabling the yogi to focus beyond the gross domain of his body and go deeper into the interface of matter and energy, when he feels a stream of blissful energy (called Kundalini energy or primordial life force) ascending along his spine. The yogi (experiencer) then becomes the experience himself transcending the usual duality between the object and subject. The quantum physicists also attain this mind-body state when dealing with the subatomic domain (or the quantum field). Since our conscious mind cannot think of two thoughts at the same time or exist simultaneously in more than one state of thought vibration, a person becomes unaware of own material body in such a state while feeling the ascending Kundalini energy. To our own self-conscious mind its superconscious state and the ordinary conscious state are also mutually exclusive. While the ordinary mind operates in a time- and space-bound domain, the superconscious mind is independent of such time-space constraint, as we know it. Under this condition the ultra pure intellect of the yogi vibrates with extreme high frequency with his/her own pure conscious mind (Superconscious state) along the Sushumna creating the blissful sensation that the yogi enjoys. Sushumna is the intensely-felt psychophysical axis of the yogi that runs along the core of his own spine that he perceives during Kundalini arousal.  The ascension of the Kundalini commences only when the yogi is able to focus his thought energy with single-minded devotion without experiencing any scattering. We propose the following logical explanation for the nature of Kundalini energy and the phenomenon of its arousal. However, before discussing the actual hypothesis on Kundalini arousal it is necessary to briefly point out some relevant aspects on the nature of human mind for the sake of clarity of the general reader.

      1)      Our mind is really not a conscious entity although it appears conscious due to a projection of the light of Pure Consciousness (Spirit) upon it, in a manner analogous to a movie-projection seems to come alive in a dark theatre. In the final analysis of Vedanta philosophy, it is the power of the nonlocal Consciousness that we use as the individual will (ego) to direct our conscious mind to satisfy our own desire.

      2)      Our versatile mind acts as a go-between between our individual superior Consciousness (Spirit) and the physical (common world); it is capable of vibrating at diverse frequencies in unison with either domain that cover the entire spirit-body spectrum.

      3)      Mind can exist in three different states, namely super-conscious (nonlocal), conscious (local) and sub-conscious respectively in order of decreasing frequencies of vibration.

      4)      Mind can be focused to become extremely small as well as be stretched far beyond to become infinitely large.

      5)      The domain of our individual sum-total mind involves thinking, feeling, sensing the things around us and taking appropriate actions.

      6)      A notable distinction between the intellect and feeling is that unlike the intellect that thinks linearly, our feelings grasp things primarily in three dimensions.

      7)      Contrary to our versatile feeling the intellect cannot concentrate on more than one thing at the same time, and if too many things are presented to the intellect, it gets confused.

      Our Hypothesis:

      It is true when said, “What you think is what you are”, provided such thought is intensely focused using the person’s whole being – that is, the person’s mind, body and soul. The ancient Yogis knew it very well; which is why they advised the humanity to develop own mind very scientifically through the process of yoga and meditation to reach the highest goal of self-realization and enjoy health and harmony there after. The mind, when used without proper discrimination, would tend to mold into anything it associates with, eventually acquiring the nature of that thing, good or bad. This is why good association with discrimination is always encouraged, and indoctrination and superstition are always considered dangerous for a healthy growth in yoga philosophy. The character of a person depends critically on his ability for intellectual discrimination of things under consideration based on the existing knowledge and taking appropriate action.

      The intellect works best when focused with one’s own willpower, and the stronger the willpower, the more focused the intellect becomes, like the solar rays converging through a powerful optical lens. According to ancient yoga the Third Eye (located in between the eyebrows) acts as the converging mechanism for our thought energy, and in the light of our present-day knowledge it is possibly acting as a novel electromagnetic lens. Our thought energy can be converged to any part of our own body by directing our eyesight (physically or mentally) to the desired point. When used in conjunction with one’s faculty of acute feeling as an internal evaluator, the intellect becomes extremely powerful like a Laser beam. The person then reaches a mind-body state where he gets a clear perception of the problem on hand, and the solution spontaneously pops up in his mind in images without having to use intellectual analysis. The mind energy then truly becomes amplified many-fold, as in a Laser, enabling us to solve the intricate problems of life with greater ease. This Lager sharp mind-energy in turn appears to initiate the Kundalini arousal by a novel procedure.

      Consistent with the Yoga philosophy, we propose that the location at the base of the spine, known as Muladhara, is the site where the focused and polarized thought energy is converted into an intense form of energy capable of quick generation of heat that is always associated with the arousal of Kundalini energy. We postulate that the highly focused energy of a person’s thought when coupled with dedicated intense feeling helps to create laser like mighty energy which in turn cause nuclear fusion reaction (fusion of two Hydrogen or Deuterium atoms into one Helium atom) at our body temperature (Cold Fusion) making the observed heat associated with the Kundalini arousal. The reasons for this proposed fusion reaction will be discussed in details in the following section. The yogi’s body is capable of utilizing this vast amount of nuclear fusion energy, and is manifested later in the yogi’s activities in ways such that it sometimes appear as miracles to the people around due to a lack of scientific understanding of such well-known yogic phenomenon.

      The resultant fusion energy, mentioned above, needs to be promptly channelized for beneficial use by the yogi otherwise it will be wasted as dissipated heat energy, and could even damage the body’s tissues including nerves severely. The yogi handles this enormous amount of energy by properly channeling it along the spine with a steady intellect and intense feeling of his whole being. The yogi feels an expansion of own constricted (body-bound) consciousness that tends to merge rapidly with the vast expanse of the infinity to become universal. Thus a radical change takes place in the mind-body field of the yogi. It has been cautioned time and again by the adepts that a strongly egocentric person (without having a broad philosophical outlook) could go insane due to the person’s inability to handle such high energy mind-body state owing to psychophysical blockage.  In spite of the vast amount of recorded personal knowledge and experience however, the chemical event that undergoes within the body during such Kundalini episode is completely unknown. We propose that the traces of transitional metal ions in our body, found to be critical for our health and harmony would play a vital role here. The transitional elements, by virtue of their paramagnetic properties as well as unique electronic configurations in the d-shell of their atomic orbital (Ray, AAPB Proceedings, 2003), could be most suited for handling this enormous Kundalini energy by the yogi as described below.

      According to the yoga philosophy, under the conditions of Kundalini arousal, the distilled intellect of the yogi comes to dissolve into his bodily feeling within own spine, and vibrate synchronously. Under such conditions of intense mind-body vibration at the quantum level, the spontaneous transition between matter and energy would occur more efficiently in Nature. This would cause appropriate adjustment in the mind-body state of the yogi following the universal self-making rule where the will (consciousness) of the yogi would take an active role in formulating the course of the change. The transition metals would absorb the heat energy generated by Kundalini thereby activating the electrons to jump up to higher energy shells within the atom. The electromagnetic nature of the transitional metals would help themselves to position appropriately in the bioelectric fields around each energy centers (called Chakras, or vortices) along the core of the spinal column (called Sushumna) in order to exert their subsequent effects at the cellular level.

      The human body is a mass of bioelectric energy that owes its very existence to the presence of abundant inorganic ions (about 300mM) in body fluids. This bioelectric potential observed in each cell of the body is primarily generated by the differential separation of inorganic cations (e.g., H+, Na+, K+ , and Ca) across the cell membranes, mediated by electrogenic ion pumps such as Na+, K+ – ATPase and Ca-ATPase. All healthy cells must maintain a characteristic potential difference (PD) across their respective plasma membranes for proper function. The plasma membranes act as both the gate and the gate keepers of the healthy cells, where the trace metal ions, such as copper (Cu), Gold (Au), zinc (Zn), manganese (Mn), chromium (Cr), mercury (Hg), Silver (Ag), molybdenum (Mo), vanadium (V), gallium (Ga), nickel (Ni) and selenium (Se) play essential roles. Contrary to various other ions in the body the transitional metal ions are unique by virtue of their paramagnetic properties (characteristic of having unshared electrons), whereby they could position themselves at or very near the plasma membranes, and thus electromagnetically influence the vital structure and function relationships of the cell membranes. The transitional metals are highly critical for numerous oxidation-reduction (Redox) reactions, in cellular homeostasis as well as in signal transduction in the cells. Deficiency of these trace minerals (shown in parentheses on the right hand side for each deficient trace metal) causes a number of serious disturbances or ailments such as, breast, colon, lung and prostrate cancers (Se), heart disease and fatigue (Cr), hypoglycemia and diabetes (V), brain dysfunction (Ga), bone loss, birth defects and infertility (Zn), anemia and cirrhosis (Ni), chronic infection, digestive problems, dizziness and convulsion (Mn) etc.  According to the yoga philosophy the diseases occur due to some disruption in the flow of optimal energy necessary for good health through the body’s extensive cell network, and yoga helps to restore the health by helping the energy to flow optimally again upon removal of the blockage.

      Bioenergetics of the Mind-Body Machine:

      According to ancient yoga philosophy (and also modern science), the human body is an ever-changing, autonomous mind-body machine analogous to an automobile. In order for the automobile to run it needs both electric spark and an oxidizable fuel like gasoline. Once ignited by spark the engine continues running if the supply of fuel is maintained. In the case of our body the Kundalini (primordial) energy acts as the initial spark and the food we take acts as the fuel. According to yoga philosophy, Muladhara (at the base of the spine), the first of the seven energy centers (Chakras) along the path of Kundalini, is the original home of the powerful Kundalini in us that in turn, is connected to the infinite energy of the universe through our sense organs of which our sight is the strongest followed by hearing sound, smell, touch and taste respectively. The primary aim of yoga is to become aware of this abundant power within each one of us and learn to use it creatively for the health and harmony of our individual self and others at large. According to our current hypothesis, this Kundalini energy is manifested in Muladhara in the form of nuclear fusion energy; and such fusion being initiated by the highly concentrated thought combined with the feeling energy of the yogi as discussed earlier. Once a yogi learns how to gradually control this vast energy resource through own experience, he becomes able to perform feats that seem apparently like miracles to others around.

      There are some noteworthy recorded experiences among the yogis that should be mentioned here.  There had been yogis, who lived an active happy life without having to take any food (calorie) for years together. There are records of the yogis surviving while buried deep underground for weeks and months, and coming out alive in good health. In modern day, the gazing at the morning and evening sun has become very popular as a form of yoga where regular practice is reported to cause less hunger with increasing physical and mental activities. The author recently learnt of one such case where the person has been living actively without any food for several years now. The celebrated master yogi, Patanjali, described numerous such yoga feats (like levitation, walking on water, dematerialization and rematerialization of own body, etc) in his most authoritative book, Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras, over four thousand years ago. All these supernatural feats are due to the ability of the yogi to use the unlimited Kundalini energy at his disposal towards fulfilling the desiring feat, and it happens spontaneously to him while he holds his Kundalini linked to the vast cosmos appropriately thru own acute feeling, and steering the way. Prolonged holding of the intellect in perfect focus with a total feeling of the object of enquiry is the ultimate essential skill that the yogi wants to master to acquire a mighty universal willpower that he subsequently uses for his own adventures. Different adepts use own gigantic willpower in many different ways depending on the mission he wants to accomplish. Ultimately the power of the adepts comes from the unlimited Kundalini resource he is consciously connected to.

      The cyclonic Swami Vivekananda, the renowned Raja Yogi of the 19th century, who introduced scientific yoga to the West at the closing of that century, offered the following scientific know-how on the psychic Kundalini energy (or Prana) in his widely read book, Raja Yoga:

       “---all the sensations and motions of the body are being sent into the brain, and sent out of it, through the wire of nerve fibers. The columns of sensory and motor fibers in the spinal chord are the Ida and Pingala of the Yogis. They are the main channels through which the afferent and efferent current travels. But why should not the mind send news without any wire, or react without any wire? We see this done in nature. The Yogi says, if you can do that, you have got rid of the bondage of matter. How to do it? If you can make the current pass through the Sushumna, the canal in the middle of the spinal column, you have solved the problem. The mind has made this network of the nervous system, and has to break it, so that no wires will be required to work through. Then alone will all knowledge come to us – no more bondage of body; that is why it is so important to get control of the Sushumna.”

      The Sushumna is the upward psychophysical path of the Kundalini energy (experienced by the Yogi) that bypasses the Ida and Pingala following its arousal in Muladhara at the base of the spine and culminates at the brain center, called Sahashrara. When the vast mass of energy is stored up in Muladhara by the power of long internal meditation, and subsequently travels along the Sushumna, striking the final brain center, the metropolis of all sensations, the entire brain, as it were, reacts, and the result is the full blaze of illumination, causing the most sought after perception – the perception of real nature of the Yogi’s own Self as the pure, blissful and nonlocal consciousness. Following this illuminating self-realization, the Yogi could acquire any supernatural power he wants to have through appropriate self-meditation.

      Conclusion:

      It is apparent from the present paper that there is nothing strange about these so called miracles; in fact we call them miracles due to our own ignorance. Yoga says that every human being has the latent power or potential to perform these feats; all they would have to do is to go through appropriate yoga training and learn the skills really well. A person must learn the skill as to how to focus his own intellect (with or without God-devotion) together with appropriately complete feeling, for the fusion of Hydrogen atoms into Helium to create abundant energy, and simultaneously master the art of managing such energy for own health and well-being. Once a person becomes an adept, he would remain connected to the nonlocal source of the infinite creative energy and enjoy this blissful connection at will ever since. Such is the potential of a human mind! So, the Yogis say that the key to our own health, happiness and prosperity lay within each one of us, just waiting for us to discover and use it judiciously.

      -------------------------------

      Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

    • Fateh Singh Jasol
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 2007

        Sir
        If you would really like to learn about the deeper secrets of yoga, please visit the website www.lifemission.org and learn about theEnglish language books of the advanced yogi Swami Rajarshi Muni from the link "Publications' - thereafter please get hold of the essential publications and go through them. I asure you , you will be much enlightened.

        To: internationalyogafederation-worldyogacommunity@yahoogroups.com
        CC: Prasun@...
        From: tkray@...
        Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 11:13:46 -0700
        Subject: [internationalyogafederation-worldyogacommunity] Scientific Understanding of Acquired Hatha Yoga-Power

[...]

        Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

        Check out some new online services at Windows Live Ideas—so new they haven’t even been officially released yet. Try it!